Verizon iPhone in Portugal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lonman06, May 13, 2013.

1. lonman06 macrumors regular

I will be leaving for Portugal this Friday. From what I have read online (please correct me if this is not the case) the Verizon iPhone 5 is already unlocked. My question is am I better off using Verizon's global data plan at $20 for 100 mb it purchasing a vodaphone SIM card over in Portugal. I really am not interested in making phone calls but do want the data. Also if I do purchase a vodaphone card can't just insert it and I am good to go?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

It's unlocked already. I tested it myself with an old AT&T sim. And price wise, your better off buying a prepaid sim since you will get more data for the price. Adding the Verizon data plan would be easiest however. Just turn the phone on when you land and go. But you only get 100mb for $20 as opposed to probably 500 mb for the same price with a prepaid sim. And yes, just pop in whatever card you choose and go. It should instantly pick up the prepaid carriers network.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd take out the Verizon global sim and purchase a local sim in Portugal with data.
    100mb is nothing, if you use it up you will have some big surprised roaming data fees when you come back.
    The Verizon i5 is unlocked so all you will need to do is stick the local nanosim and you'll have service.

4. lonman06 thread starter macrumors regular

Any idea on how much those nano sims run and how much data they offer? From what I have read it seems vodaphone is the big carrier there.

5. vodkaPT, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013

vodkaPT macrumors member

Vodafone is the best, in terms of quality of the support services. TMN is the biggest, but is not the best.

Optimus is the small one, so it has the best prices (+/-, since the all more or less have the same prices.. they copy each others prices ).

But in terms of qualitiy of the technical services and coverage they are all good. TMN is a little worse because since the majority is TMN in the crowed areas the quality decrease.

I would recommended you one of this 2:

http://www.optimus.pt/Particulares/Movel/Tarifarios/Prepagos/Detalhe/SmartPre
    12euros month, with 400megas internet and 80 free SMS/MMS.

In vodafone, maybe this option:

https://loja.vodafone.pt/tarifarios/aditivos/internet/?ecmp=mdd

This is just the internet option, but you can buy a card without mandatory charge and use the money only to pay net.

If I am not wrong, all the card's cost Xeuros with Xeuros included.

If you need any help, I'm portuguese ( but currently living in Germany ) just ask :).

Have fun around there :)

6. lonman06 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I am
    Probably going to go with vodaphone. I'm assuming there are stands at the airport to purchase a SIM card?

7. vodkaPT macrumors member

I don't remember to see any mobile strand in the airport.
    But the shopping's in general are open all days until 22h or even 00h, so is not a problem buy it on the same day you arrive. Every shopping have a Vodafone store.

8. Maputo macrumors newbie

Hello lonman06. I found myself in the same situation. I have an iPhone 5s on a contract with Verizon and I am traveling to Portugal next month. Did yours work with the microSD card from Vodafone?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not a microSD card, you need a nanosim to get carrier access.
    And yes a 5S verizon iphone will work with any gsm nanosim in the world.

10. Maputo macrumors newbie

That's great.Thank you for your prompt response and help.