Verizon iPhone is overall good for all iPhone users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigress666, Jan 11, 2011.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

So, unless you are an AT&T "fanboi" so to speak (I get really sick of seeing that word thrown around here though whenever some one wants to debunk some one else), overall Verizon getting an iphone is good for us all, even if you prefer AT&T.

Goods for Verizon users:
    1. The fact that they get an iphone of course :)

Good for AT&T users:
    1. More iphones out so that means more developers/companies tempted to make apps for it.
    2. Less stress on the network

Good for both:
    1. Both companies will have competition and will have to stay competitive. Means they will at least keep each other in check. And you may see them offering more perks to encourage you to go to them instead.

Bad for Verizon users:
    1. Well, for the non iPhone users the network gets stressed more. Depending on how well Verizon prepared, they may find Verizon starts having issues. But Verizon does have the advantage of hindsight so I'd predict this won't have too big of an impact (or at least not as big as it did on AT&T when it got the iPhone).
    2. If AT&T goes under cause of this less competition for Verizon. This would have more affect on everyone than the added competition of Verizon cause this is less competition for all phones, not just iPhone. AT&T existing is good for other carriers' customers (though not for the other carriers' ;) ).

Bad for AT&T users:
    1. The people you call the most might change to Verizon so you won't get free mobile to mobile with them. This can be softened by the fact they would be moving to get iPhones so you can reduce the minutes used by face talking them when they are on wi-fi (if you really need the minutes and don't want to go up a voice plan).
    2. If AT&T is that horrible that enough people lose they go out of business or get bought out (the latter could be good or bad depending on policies of company buying out). But that would be more the fault of AT&T failing to be competitive enough.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

AT&T is not going out of business for having areas on the map that they don't service, regardless of their claims. I think it's "face time" and not face talking. I believe that having a carrier choice in the US for the iPhone is good.

4. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Honestly, I don't think it would happen either unless this was the straw that broke the camel's back (AT&T already being in trouble). I'm just putting it out there as an off chance. If it were something I think would cause AT&T to go under, I'd factor that into my opinion on overall if this was good or bad for AT&T users and probably put it under bad ;). Cause I like AT&T and don't want to see them go under.

And honestly, even if you really hate them, you're foolish to want them to go under. Competition is good for you cause it will force the carrier you like to stay competitive.

It's one reason I don't want to see Best Buy go under cause Walmart needs competition. And I refuse to spend a dime at Best Buy.

5. stewart715 macrumors 6502

I think we're going to see some competitive pricing points on AT&T's end so I don't see them taking as much as a hit that people say.

6. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

one thing im looking foward to since i switched from iphone to droid last year. I always forget to charge my droid. With the iphone being a standard ipod connector i have thoughout my house and work and car it should never go dead.

7. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

how is AT&T in trouble? they just recently made more money than they ever have activating iPhones...they are the second largest carrier in the US son...if anything AT&T will merge with Tmobile US before they go under

8. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

It's not good for all iPhone users- US iPhone users, yes - but probably not international.

9. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Once again, I don't think AT&T is in trouble. I was saying that if (a theoretical if, not a predicting if) they did go under cause of this it would be because this was the straw that broke the camel's back (in other words this wouldn't kill AT&T unless they already were in trouble and this was the small thing that finally did them in). And AT&T merging with T-Mobile wouldn't be good for any consumer cause once again, less competition for the other carriers.

If I truly thought they were in trouble and that this would be enough to kill them, I wouldn't be putting up a thread saying Verizon getting an iphone was a good thing ;). Because it would be less competition if they went under and from a personal standpoint, I like AT&T and don't want to be forced to switch.

No, good for international even cause more iphones out there means more reasons for developers and companies to want to make apps for the iphone ;). Though maybe not quite as good cause most of those developers and companies are seeing more US customers so those apps might be more aimed at US customers. But still is more a movement in the positive direction even for international users than negative.

10. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

The only real problem is that Apple has created some fragmentation in the iPhone brand. Exactly what god errr Steve didn't want to do. Granted it's small scale, but there are a couple usabilty differences and physical hardware differences. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

11. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Competition is always good for the consumer.

How this basic principle of capitalism is lost on so many is troubling...

12. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

In Carmel, we seldom see 'bar five' and random speed tests are often under 1mbps download. That's compounded by lying about the bars until 6 months ago. I'm switching to Verizon and never looking back.

13. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Att go out of business, old ma bell? That's a joke.

14. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

AT&T has scored some record profits lately.

Maybe with Verizon clamping down on the iPhone, they'll spend some of that money on network infrastructure instead of their ridiculous "Rethink Possible" campaign.

15. THE dAY macrumors 6502

Apple seems to allow unlocked iPhones for other countries that have multiple carriers for iPhone.

Even though now the US is a multiple carrier of the iPhone, I'm assuming the GSM version will still be locked since Verizon is CDMA.

Wondering when Apple will start allowing unlocked iPhones for the US?

EDIT: just found this chart for carriers of iPhone. Somehow I thought more countries allowed unlocking, oh well..
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937