Verizon iPhone Not Charging?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Geffen, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Geffen macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E128 Safari/6533.18.5)

I usually charge my Verizon iPhone 4 with my laptop sometimes when I plug it into the USB it doesn't charge or wake iTunes. Tonight I pluged it in to charge and nothing happened I tried other USB ports and I couldnt get my iPhone to charge or bring up iTunes. Anyone else have this issue? Could my USB cable be bad?

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Yes.

3. elan123 macrumors 6502

Verizon not charging money for iphone? or did I read the title wrong...

bwahahahaha

4. gjw4u macrumors 6502

OP, why not try using the iPhone charger? If that works, you know it's not a problem with your phone or USB cable, but a problem with the USB port on your laptop.

5. Geffen thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem must have been with the ports on my laptop this morning once i connected the USB cable it started charging and syncing. I was also able to use the wall charger with no problems.

6. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Something similar happened to a friend who just got their iPhone 4 on Verizon this past week. Drained the battery until it died and it took the phone a while to be recognized by iTunes and the Wall Charger, it took them about a half hour before it was finally recognized. Im not sure if there are different settings for the newer iPhone 4 (Verizon) but it seems it does a phantom charge and then registers the phone as charging?

7. Geffen thread starter macrumors 6502

I wonder if this issue is actually tied to Verizon iPhones? Since im not the only one experiencing the charging/sync issue.

8. patp Guest

Nope. No issues with my VZW iPhone. Also don't really see much reported on forums about same issue. Me thinks it's probably a bad cable that needed some sorting out.

If you take it to Apple they'll probably give you a new cable.

9. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Me also thinks it is a bad cable, or dirty dock connector:D Multiple USB ports don't just magically stop working.

10. patp Guest

dirty dock connector :D

i don't know why, but i find this incredibly funny.

11. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Believe me, it's happened...But it usually gives a "Device Not Supported" error.

12. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

What do you mean it took half an hour? Of course, it did. If the battery was completely drained, there won't be enough power to boot. It doesn't matter if the iPhone was connected to AC or not. The iPhone runs on battery and it won't turn on unless it have enough power to do so.

13. Geffen thread starter macrumors 6502

My cable does charge when plugged into a wall outlet, i dont think the cable is bad it could have been my laptop needed to be rebooted.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

USB ports can go to sleep. I had a friend who had a desktop running Windows 7 that had the power setting shut down the USB ports after a period of time as an energy saving feature. I can see this for a laptop but not a desktop that is up and running. It does happen:p

15. snakelda macrumors 6502

I don't have any problems either with mine. It just died and I plugged it in the wall charger and it started charging immediately.

16. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

Just keep an eye on it. If it doesn't happen again, then great. My original VZW iPhone had to be traded in because the same thing happened to my phone as it did yours, then it went away. But after two days the problem came back and kept this pattern going.

Long story short, if it happens again it could be a hardware issue. And you an get it replaced if that ends up being the case.

Best of luck!

17. Geffen thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E128 Safari/6533.18.5)

Did Apple have to replace your iPhone or just the USB cable? I would rather not exchange my iPhone since I have been hearing replacements are refurbished iPhones.