Verizon Iphone now or later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by victormiz, Jan 10, 2011.

1. victormiz macrumors newbie

Hey guys I have Verizon and I cant wait until tomorrow morning for Verizon to finally release the Iphone. I was excited until today. I heard from many different people that the Iphone 5 will be released in around June or July. And with Verizon you must sign a 2 year contract so by June I will already be behind on the latest technology. I would like to know everyone's advice on whether I should jump on this Iphone finally coming out on Verizon or should I wait till June until the newer one comes out? Thanks for everyones input!

2. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

You waited this long. What's a few more months. Possible LTE?

3. victormiz thread starter macrumors newbie

But does this mean since apple is releasing an Iphone in about June or July that it will b released by Verizon right away? Or will Verizon wait a few months to release the new one, because if its gonna wait till next january then might as well buy this one now

4. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat as you, and here's what I think. Keep in mind I have nothing but my own opinions, and no facts, just gut speculation. I would be shocked if :apple: released a new iPhone in july for Verizon. imho they are going to offer something similar to the iphone 4 tomorrow for vzw with a minor speedbump and then offer the same speedbump to att in the summer. then i see :apple: moving to LTE in the following generation. Perhaps they'll surprise us and release an LTE phone tomorrow, but I really doubt it. Personally, I have thought it through and I intend on getting a verizon iphone in my pocket as soon as they are available. The way i see it even if a new version comes out sooner than i would prefer it's not the end of the world and I will personally just be thrilled to finally own an iPhone. Bottom line, I say buy now and don't look back!!

5. Tembrock macrumors newbie

Tembrock

Does it allow phone calls while browsing?

To me that is a huge usability feature. You can do that on AT&T but not on verizon's current smart phones (so I have read several times). I guess I'm excited because my wife got sick of AT&T and went to Verizon and we could finnally join plans again and save money.

Then again I will be very cautious about any Verizon issues with functionality. They are notorious for hobbling great phones by limiting hardware features and Verizon bloatware installed on the phones. I doubt Apple would allow any software interference but I'm still cautious about some hidden disadvantage the iPhone would have. I'm down with less dropped calls in L.A. for sure.

Then there is pricing and network congestion. I guess congestion will get better eventually as the load is spread across multiple carriers and soon new technologies ("4G").

As I read and heartily agree, it's a great year for smart phones! Options a plenty!

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Actually At&t hobbles their Android devices while Verizon does not. But Verizon does deserve every bit of their bad rep because of tricks like locking GPS on their Blackberries to force users to go through VZ Navigator rather than being able to use the free BB Maps which was on the phone but useless because it couldn't use the GPS.

For now, Verizon will require unlimited data to get an iPhone. I might pay etf to go back, but I'd rather get capped data to save money. I have wifi available most of the day so I can get away with capped data so I'd hesitate to switch back to VZW to get better phone coverage if I was forced to shell out double what I'm paying now for data with At&t.

I waited a very long time before switching to At&t for iPhone 4. The main factor that got me to switch was a less expensive data plan. If I wanted an iPhone and didn't have one, I wouldn't recommend waiting for what "might" come out. If the phone VZW announces later today works for you then get it rather than wait until who knows when for a minor feature bump.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You get an iPhone 4 on VZW in february, you'l be locked into a 2 year contract with vzw on a phone that will get replaced in 3-4 months.

It all boils down to the fact if you need it now, get it, otherwise weight.

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I'll also preface that these are nothing but my own personal opinions. That being said...

I'd also guess that Verizon will likely not see an update to their version of the iPhone in June/July as is customary for the GSM model (AT&T in the US) but rather we're looking at an annual cycle of February for Verizon until they move exclusively to LTE as at that point it will be the same phone for all carriers (give or take). On that assumption, we may very well have an LTE version for Verizon next Jan/Feb with AT&T's to follow in June/July (based on the current LTE rollouts for each respective network, as AT&T is about 6-12 months behind Verizon at this point).

Alot of people are speculating/hoping that there will be an LTE version this summer but based on Apple's history, I find it unlikely. The original iPhone topped out at EDGE speeds even though AT&T had a considerable 3G network already in place---Apple seems to like to wait until a network is 'more mature' (though it's debatable whether AT&T ever got there ;)). So all things considered, I'd get your ViPhone as soon as possible to get started on that next 2 year cycle. If I recall correctly from my time at Verizon, I believe your NE2 eligibility matures at 20 months so that would mean you'd be ready for your next iPhone in Fall 2012.

9. obey908 macrumors 6502a

You sign a 2-year contract but they let you upgrade once a year.

10. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Personally, I am in the same boat as the OP.

I have been waiting, just like every other VZW customer for the iPhone. However, since the iPhone 4 was released, I'm kinda on the fence. I think that if I were to buy the iPhone 4, Apple would hold out on releasing a newer version until around November/December of this year.

It just doesn't make sense to me, to release 2 phones at the same time, for two competing company's. Not unless Apple gets smart and designs a World phone, or Verizon suddenly has half of the country covered in LTE by June.

Verizon said at CES that they expect LTE to be in 250+ markets by the end of this year. To me that just doesn't sound like much. So, I'm guessing that Apple would hold out until later in the year to release a VZW LTE iPhone.

11. black743 macrumors 6502

The main reason I'm going to get the current model is because it works. The first LTE version could have tons of bugs and issues...plus, everyone says to avoid the first model. This one is a fixed verision with an improved antenna (several blogs tested the death grip and got nothing), so I think I'll let all the bugs get worked out of LTE before making the jump. Plus, I'm a bit scared of how much LTE data is going to cost anyway. :eek:

12. Squadleader macrumors regular

If you wait till August 2012 you can get the even newer Iphone 6.2

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not any more.

14. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I went to At&t in September. I'm facing a $325 ETF minus $10 a month I wait. My phone works well enough but not as well as my Verizon phones used to work. For me, there is no way I'll be picking one up on 2/3. I'll be waiting 'till summer when my ETF is smaller and by then we'll know whether a new iPhone is on the way for Verizon. From what I understand, Apple is using a chipset that allows them to make one phone that works globally on US GSM, US CDMA and worldwide GSM. This means that any phone that is announced for At&t in the July timeframe could easily be available on VZW a short time later.

Another factor is data plan pricing. VZW has done this sort of thing before. They have announced that mobile hotspot was "included" and then later clarified that it would cost an extra monthly charge. I'm waiting for the data plan pricing to become clarified before I consider returning to VZW despite the fact I like their network better. Honestly I don't think this will hurt sales. There are millions of VZW users who would be delighted to get their hands on an iPhone 4 and would not be bothered about a newer model that came out less than a year later. Even if VZW throws a wet blanket on iPhone with expensive data plans, like they did with Kin, there will be significant sales. But mandatory unlimited data will make VZW iPhone less competitive than Att iPhone for those who want to save money. Of course there are some Att users who will come over for better network and unlimited data (if they aren't grandfathered on Att unlimited data), but the more flexibility VZW has on pricing, the more quickly this thing will sell. But for now, I doubt they will bother when it is very likely demand will outstrip supply for months to come.

15. slowtraveler macrumors member

It's a dilemma. But I noticed the comment yesterday during the VZW announcement that Apple did not find the initial interation of LTE chipsets satisfactory. I suspect that, if Apple intended to release an LTE iPhone in mid-year 2011, there would already be noise in the tech blogosphere about their sources for LTE silicon.

For that reason I would bet that the 2011 refresh of the iPhone won't include LTE for either ATT or VZW--but maybe would enable dual-mode GSM/CDMA operation in the same phone, thus cutting down on the number of SKUs Apple have to support.

16. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Simple solution, I will keep my iPhone4 with AT&T and buy the Verizon iPhone 4. That way I will have coverage almost everywhere.

17. obey908 macrumors 6502a

When has this changed? Been like that forever, and I just upgraded last January and currently am available again for an upgrade....

18. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Verizon changed this just recently at their, CES announcement for 4G, when they announce all the new 4G Android phones.

19. obey908 macrumors 6502a

20. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Now that Verizon has the iPhone, it will be a very good thing in several ways. One thing is the competition that AT&T faces in keeping subscribers. I wonder what incentives AT&T will offer in the way of services.

But then, what will Verizon counter with?

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not for VZW, making people wait until their contract is almost up makes a lot of sense given the annual update cycle of the iPhone. They need to make sure they make their money from offering the subsidized iphone

22. obey908 macrumors 6502a

Everytime you upgrade you are renewing your 2year contract, by allowing people to upgrade they can sell 2 iphone's in 2 years, instead of 1 in 2 years