Verizon iPhone or Droid

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zepprock7, Dec 9, 2009.

1. zepprock7 macrumors newbie

My old verizon cell phone broke so I'm using my dad's old Voyager, first generation. I do like the phone but I'm ready to make the move to a smartphone. Should I get a Droid for Christmas or should I hold off and see if a Verizon iPhone actually comes out next year? Technically I'm not up for an upgrade right now because everybody in my family has used everybody's upgrades (except for me, my brother got two phones and used one of mine) but my dad is elible for an early upgrade.

So basically:

Use VZW upgrade and get a Moto Droid
    OR
    Wait for and see for VZW iPhone

I also have a Macbook Pro and iPod Touch so the integration with an iPhone would be pretty seamless.

Thanks,

Anthony

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Verizon iPhone seems rather unsure, I would get the Droid as the evidence for the Verizon iPhone seems to be now shifting against the idea.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I just got rid of my Verizon HTC Droid Eris (the iFauxn version of the Droid) and begrudgingly returned to the terrible ATT reception on my iPhone (although I managed to rig a pair of cell phone antenna boosters in a way that would make Epic Kludges proud :p and give me just enough hint of a signal to use the iPhone at home - the big reason I switched in the first place).

I really tried to make a go of the Droid for two weeks but it didn't integrate with anything Mac. I missed my phone book, I missed syncing music, I missed Evernote (which they don't have for android yet), and the app store.

You're in a different boat than I as this is your first smartphone, so you may not have the pining that I suffered with. If you use google apps at all, it's a reasonable option, too as you won't miss syncing with the Mac as much. Go to the Verizon store and fondle the Droid - several reviews I read listed it as a bit klunky with the slide-down KB.

Good luck with your search!

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Verizon has been insulting Apple / iPhone lately.

You think they'll get the iPhone? Just think about it.

Droid: 200MB (0.2gb) for installing apps
    iPhone: up to 30 GB for installing apps

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

There is no Verizon iPhone, so Droid it shall be.

6. decal macrumors member

decal

I have a Motorola Q9h and have set-up Address book to sync with Google, then using Exchange server on the phone to sync with google. So now when ever I change a phone number or address it syncs back to my mac just like Mobile Me. And visa versa.

iCal can do the same thing except I have multiple calendars and can only get the 1st calendar to sync with the phone.
    I did find a good app called Spanning-Sync it has good flexibility in what you can sync with google. If I could have made the calendars work I would have bought it. But for what I am doing with Address Book it wasn't worth the expense.

Also Missing Sync now has an Android syncing option. I use their product for syncing calendars to my Motorola which runs Windows Mobile.

I hope this helps, even though it's not as seamless at mobileme it can still be done. :)

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

For multiple calendar sync between iCal, Google and Outlook, I use a freeware app called Calgoo Connect. It has Windows and OSX versions. It uses Java and doesn't play well with Snow Leopard, but that can be fixed by reinstalling J2SE 1.4.2 from Leopard.

8. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I say wait it out, unless your contract is near renewal.

9. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

There are so many opinions on whether it (iPhone) will come to Verizon. The one that made the best sense to me was done recently where it gave it a 70% chance. Why wouldn't apple want to add their phone to the largest provider in the US?

I am in the same boat you are but my contract doesn't come up until October of '10. I am having to dig deep to not jump in early. I am leaning towards iPhone as the integration between Apple products seems to be ridiculously easy. Plus, I'm not a fan of 1st gen bugs so I would wait for the next round of the droid.

10. inccucu macrumors newbie

My old verizon cell phone broke so I'm using my dad's old Voyager, first generation. I do like the phone but I'm ready to make the move to a smartphone. Should I get a Droid for Christmas or should I hold off and see if a Verizon iPhone actually comes out next year? Technically I'm not up for an upgrade right now because everybody in my family has used everybody's upgrades (except for me, my brother got two phones and used one of mine) but my dad is elible for an early upgrade.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

The iPhone is good in many ways, but also really bad in many ways. Even if you tried them both and liked the iPhone more, do you think this small difference is worth waiting for when you don't even know whether it will ever exist on Verizon? I certainly don't, and to be honest, if I had a choice of one or the other (and it was available in Oz), I'd take my chances and get the Droid. I like my iPhone, but it's so rigid in it's layout, and the customisability is so poor that the only way to fix he issue requires me to void my warranty. :rolleyes:

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Roughly Drafted explains in 4 articles why Droid is not and will not be the same as the iPhone:
    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/...oid-and-apples-iphone-os-as-software-markets/

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I hope I didn't sound like I wanted to be the same. I don't. The only difficulty with the Droid that I can foresee is slight quirkiness with Mac compatibility. It may not be so bad, but I haven't heard anything since I don't care at the moment.

14. zepprock7 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone. I think I am going to go with the Droid. Should the iphone come out for verizon, I think I can wait a year and pick one up later.