Verizon iPhone problem. How to exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fotomatt1, Feb 20, 2011.

1. fotomatt1 macrumors regular

For the most part my Verizon iPhone is awesome. I have had a problem with it for the past few days. Occasionally while on a call the earpiece shuts off so the person I'm talking to can hear me but I cannot hear them. It's as if they put me on mute. This has happened multiple times with multiple people. It's obviously defective.

In order to exchange do I have to go to the genius bar or can I go to any sales person for a return / exchange since it's within 30 days? I bought the phone online directly from apple.

2. wpotere Guest

Either go to a Verizon store or an Apple store. Either should be able to help you. If you are going to an Apple store, make an appointment on their system.

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

It will save you the wait game for a no show. ;)

3. elit3nemesis macrumors regular

elit3nemesis

My wife just bought her iphone 4 Verizon yesterday. When I tried to call her she couldn't hear me in the iphone earpiece, so she put the speaker phone on and it worked fine. So I read all over the interwebs it said stuff like plug headphones into it and remove it multiple times (FAIL). Cut the end of a q-tip and stick it in the headphone jack(FAIL). So time for her to go return it. Seems like this is a issue with a good amount of customers.

4. fotomatt1 thread starter macrumors regular

I already have a genius bar appointment for tomorrow, as I'm out of town today, but my question is this. Since I'm inside of 30 days, will they exchange for a new phone no questions asked, or will they give me a hassle about being able to duplicate the problem? I cannot make the phone fail when I want to, as the problem is unpredictable. Sometimes I'll go a whole day with no issue, and the next day I'll have it 5x in a row. If I use an earpiece or bluetooth, I have no issue, the problem is that the earpiece in the phone shuts off during some calls.

5. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

You do need to be able to duplicate the issue, if you cant then try recording yourself when the problem occurs.

Then show it to the Genius.

6. fotomatt1 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought Apple had 30 day return policy on iPhones?

7. fotomatt1 thread starter macrumors regular

Also, just curious how I could record myself not being able to hear the person I'm talking to?

8. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

Might I suggest that you could be having an issue with the proximity sensor that had plagued the early release of the iPhone 4. When this occurs, how do you correct it, if you can? If you take the phone away from your ear, can you look to see if the mute has been activated? The iPhone 4 tends to be a little more sensitive about how it is held against the ear and many have reported activating all sorts of things if the screen comes back on when using the phone.

Not sure if that could be your issue, but it bears investigation.

9. snakelda macrumors 6502

Don't know if you are like me but when I bought the iPhone, I didn't take off the plastic that came on the screen of the phone. I left it on until my screen protector would come in and i could barely hear at all or nothing at all. Once i took the plastic off,I could hear perfect!

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You do NOT need to duplicate the problem unless they are treating Verizon customers differently from AT&T customers. If you are in the first 30 days they should and will replace your phone free of charge with no questions asked.:D

11. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

Well it depends on what the problem is. I had a few hardware issues with my Verizon iPhone, and when I went in the first time they did tests on it. The hardware issues were spotty at the time so it was working okay at the store and they just had me do a restore. As the problems persisted I went back afterward for another appointment, and they took 30 seconds to decide to replace it for free.

So long story short, it depends on who you get, and if your problems persist after whatever they suggest for you to do.

12. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

They will try to duplicate the problem, but if they can't that doesn't mean they won't replace it. I was on my third replacement of my AT&T iPhone 4. Two of the replacements, the issue was verified by me, in that I took a video of the one problem, and another I had a picture of. They considered that proof. For the other problem, which was a network problem that came and went just from time to time (ex. I wouldn't switch from Edge to 3G for about half an hour after leaving an Edge only area) the genius could not possibly replicate it. I was just very polite, told him it was very frustrating to have to continue resetting my network and entering all my wifi passwords again, and he replaced it no problem.

Basically, just be very polite, it's not the geniuses fault that there is a problem with the phone, they did not make them. So, while I understand this is a frustrating problem, just be really polite. Tell them it is frustrating, and you wouldn't be there if there was not a problem.