Verizon iPhone: Problems with Group MMS and Pic Messages

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by IJBrekke, Feb 8, 2011.

1. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

So far, I can't get Group MMS to work, any replies I send or receive don't show up in the unified text group, they show up individually.

Also, any picture I send shows up with "no subject" written before it.

Anyone else having these issues?

2. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

That's normal welcome to the iPhone. iPhone has been like this since 2007. I remember getting mine back then and thinking ok, also you can enable it in settings for subject line if you want look in messaging.

3. The Tos macrumors 6502a

All of which you mentioned is standard iphone procedures.

4. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I believe this worked the same way on my Android phone as well. Honestly it makes sense... If you receive a text message reply from someone, it's still only one person... so how would the iPhone know you want it to be linked to a group conversation? It's going to put it in that person's individual conversation.

5. mo25 macrumors member

It does the same thing in Android. It won't group the replies, only what you send. And it makes sense to do that.

6. IJBrekke thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Huh, it's funny, I was under the impression that when you started a group message, if you reply inside that message that everybody attached would see it. Sort of like a running text forum-type setup. It's too bad, that would've been fun. Oh well.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, its not a chat room type of feature.
    Each reply you get will be an individual text message and wont go to the whole group.

8. nosser macrumors regular

Hmmm not so sure about that. I turned on group messaging and well as my family and we can all get the message and everyone sees the reply. It even show the name of the contact who sent the message really small above the message (on Att iP4's tho)

9. AML225 macrumors regular

When I group chat with two of my buddies who both have iPhones it works exactly like a chat room. I send something they both get it, when one of them sends something in the group chat it automatically goes to me and the other person.

I'm guessing all phones in the group chat have to have group messaging turned on.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes you're right. If they send it back thru the group message then you will all get it.
    If they just respond to you obviously the rest of the group wont read it.
    Not everyone would know how to do it, have an iphone or automaticly start a group session just to respond to all.

11. IJBrekke thread starter macrumors 6502

See that's how I thought it worked. That's why I think there might be a problem with the 4.2.6 build on this...I did a group message with three other people with ATT iPhones, and all of my messages went to my individual thread. Same thing happened with their replies, they went to individual threads instead of the group I had created.

We all had group messaging turned on, so that wasn't it. Is anyone else willing to try this and see if it works?

12. IJBrekke thread starter macrumors 6502

I had someone else create the group thread, and we still had the same issues. No fix has shown itself so far. I hope this is corrected in the future.

13. DannyT macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue but, in a small group, I see the conversation as I should but they get my text messages individually.

This feature played a considerable part in my purchase of the Verizon iPhone. Like you said, I really hope they come up with a solution.

14. robbysibrahim macrumors member

robbysibrahim

It's a Verizon iPhone problem. My friend went back to the Apple Store to ask about it. Both a Verizon corporate and Apple corporate rep got on their phones to blast home this discovery and work on getting it resolved.

You should be able to group chat back and forth and keep the reply all type feature.

15. jagii911 macrumors newbie

So here's the story... verizon iphone to verizon iphone you can use the group mms feature. And att iphone to att iphone you can use the group mms feature. It is yet to be seen if it will work across the 2 carriers.

Hope that helps. :)

16. andrewmulligan macrumors member

Group SMS (*Not* MMS)

Another interesting (apparent) bug w/the Verizon iPhone:

When you're composing a text message and type/select one recipient's name, it says SMS — add another recipient and it automatically goes to "Group MMS." It shouldn't be creating a group MMS when there's no content —*I've messaged people on Verizon feature phones / dumbphones who've had problems opening these messages since they were sent as MMS as opposed to MMS.

That one, I would hope, would be easy to fix. Hah. :)

17. dorschrm macrumors newbie

Keep this updated

To be honest, this pissed me off when I found out. I switched from ATT iPhone to Verizon iPhone and had the group text (MMS) feature working swimmingly beforehand.

Do you guys think this is a ATT communicating with Verizon issue or an Apple software error?

If anyone does get a response from Verizon/Apple please update. Cheers.