Verizon iPhone problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nicksmolenski, Feb 8, 2011.

1. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

I got my Verizon iPhone yesterday. For a while it worked just like it's supposed to. However, that night it charged about 3% of my battery while it was plugged into an outlet for 6 hours, leaving my battery at around 40%. I tried charging it twice today through my computer, but to no avail. So I set up an appointment at a genius bar, and it starts charging there, so they told me it needs to be restored just in case there's a glitch. I left with my newly restored iPhone 30 minutes ago, and I went to go charge it. IT DOESN'T CHARGE AGAIN.
    I tried rebooting a few times, trying different USB charging cords, and I tried it in both the wall and my MBP. Nothing has worked.

Also, my phone has been sporadically shutting down on me, so I asked the genius about that as well, and said that again it's probably from the backup I put on it so the restore will fix it. As of right now I can't turn it on at all, even with the 20% battery it has left.

If someone has ANY suggestions please let me know...I just know that I didn't get my phone replaced because neither the shut down or the lack of charging happened at the Apple Store. Thanks!

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

maybe its the AC plug that is faulty.... or the USB cable isn't in good. mine has several "stops"
    As far as the rebooting... seems weird... make another appointment...

3. nicksmolenski thread starter macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

I tried putting the USB power adapter in another outlet, and I tried two different USB cords (one that I used before I got the phone....the cable worked with my ipod).

HOWEVER I called Apple Services and they told me to make another appointment....I just don't know if my phone is going to miraculously work when I step into the store again.

As of right now I can use my phone if it's plugged into the socket with the power adapter, but it' still not charging. If I take off the phone from the charger it shuts off and I can't start it.

Thanks again.

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Curious, did you restore a backup of an iPod Touch or any other iPhone to this phone?

5. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Odd. Funny thing is I was at the verizon store buying my wife a case when I spoke to a woman that was having the exact same issue as you describe. Hers seemingly wouldn't take a charge and only worked plugged in.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

that stinks... i don't know what else to suggest. I just got my iphone yesterday...
    I hope it gets straighten out soon so you can enjoy the phone.
    Would taking the phone to verizon help?

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Not to sound crass but why even suggest taking the phone to Verizon? Apple is the only one who actually supports iPhone.

8. nicksmolenski thread starter macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

Well okay so two minutes after I posted, it started working fine again. It's actually charging at a consistent rate and I can take it off the charger without it shutting off on me.

I did do a backup of my iPod touch initially, but then I did the restore as new at the store with the genius, and it still shut down and didn't charge.

I've come to realize that my friend is most likely right - it's a software bug. I upgraded to 4.2.6 when I got it, and it remained as 4.2.6 when I restored it. Hopefully these substantial glitches will cease when 4.3 comes out.

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

Lol. My verizon iPhone is charging at a very good rate. Plugged in computer - went from 9% to 27% in about 15 minutes. I must say though that in just one day it took over 90% of battery. My old Blackberry storm 2 would usually have 58-60% left with same amount of usage... well maybe not. I hated the blackberry so much I'm sure I ended up using the iPhone a lot more today :)

10. nicksmolenski thread starter macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

Yeah has anyone else had these glitches due to the software update? I'm glad it's not just my phone :D

11. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

i had a glitch with the hot spot when i upgraded software but somehow worked it self out. I do find the battery does pull low during the day. If you double click the home button it will bring up a menu screen along the bottom anything there is an open application (some may be running) put your finger on one and hold it they will start to shake and have a red line on them click them to erase them from running it helped save some battery life for me.. If you already knew this sorry just wanted to bring it up. Good luck

12. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

On iOS devices, apps do not continue to run in the background. Only specific processes, such as music, GPS/Nav, an in-progress download and a few other functions can continue in the background. Everything else is suspended in RAM.