Verizon iPhone - Unanswered Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Travisimo, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

So I'm very interested in getting a Verizon iPhone, but there are many unanswered questions. Here are my main questions, many of which I realize will either be answered before launch or after launch when we get reviews.

At this point, you probably think I'm going to ask the obvious repeated questions like "how much will the data plan be"? No, I realize Verizon will be announcing that here shortly. My main questions stem from the differences between Verizon and AT&T:

1) On AT&T, I believe there are restrictions on certain apps that use 3G data. For example, I believe the Youtube app is lower quality on 3G because of AT&T's restrictions. And I believe there's a 20mb or so download limit for app updates and media downloads, is that correct? So this begs the question whether Verizon will also inherit these restrictions - are they solely decided by the carrier, by Apple, or a combination of both?

2) Regarding Facetime, we know it is currently limited to 3G on AT&T. It's probably safe to assume it will be 3G-only on Verizon as well, right? Since AT&T allows Skype video calls now over 3G, this restriction seems to be Apple's, and I wonder if it will ever be lifted on either carrier?

3) Does Verizon have any partnerships with WIFI providers like AT&T does? I mean, there are a lot of places you can get free WIFI with AT&T and the iPhone 4 because of AT&T's partnerships. Does Verizon have similar partnerships?

4) Can we expect a significant difference in battery life between the AT&T and Verizon version? I've head that CDMA phones contact cell towers more frequently, which usually results in comparatively lower battery life. Is this true?

Thanks!

2. vachargerfan macrumors regular

That is completely dependent on Verizon. No details have been released
    At this time Facetime is limited to WIFI, not 3G. again, what FVerizon is going to do has not been released, but I bet it too will be WIFI
    Not sure
    Same battery life

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It was true until GSM also turned to a (Wideband) CDMA radio for its 3G.