Carrier Verizon iPhone unlimited data sim into iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NovemberWhiskey, Nov 7, 2013.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Can anyone confirm if this will work? I've read a few posts saying it will, but it was always one individual user, with many others contradicting him.

I have an unlimited data Verizon iphone 5 + a T-mobile iPad air.

If I put my verizon sim in the ipad Air, will I get unlimited Verizon data without screwing anything up? And can I switch back without any consequences?

Thanks@!

2. msw323 macrumors newbie

This works just fine...using that exact configuration now.

And you can set up as a hotspot and have unlimited tethering as well. no jailbreak needed.

Have fun......

3. aggieastrosfan macrumors member

Been doing this in a Verizon iPad for almost 2 years now - first my iPad 3, and now my Air. Got a company paid cell phone, so I just switched my number permanently with all my contacts and leave my old number as my iPad connection. Use the hotspot all the time also, love my setup!

4. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

5. SpaceCracker macrumors newbie

Verizon Hotspot Question on Ipad Air

I have a Verizon LTE phone with an unlimited data plan and unlimited mobile hotspot. You are telling me I can pop the sim card out of my phone and put it in my Verizon LTE Ipad Air and my mobile hotspot and my unlimited data plan will work in the Ipad Air?

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yes. Just cancel your $30 unlimited hotspot add on.

Waste of money.

Just use lte sim in verizon ipadll. Use verizon messages app on iPad so you get all your text messages from your REAL VERIZON NUMBER as well. You will get mms and SMS from verizon messages app on iPad.

You really don't need a "phone" any more.

7. Miguel760 macrumors member

I thought verizon stopped offering unlimited data?

8. SpaceCracker macrumors newbie

Verizon Hotspot Question on Ipad Air

But I use my hotspot to connect all my other devices, its my only internet. Will the hotspot work on the ipad without a hotspot plan? How do I activate the hotspot on the ipad once I put the sim in?

9. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just put the darn lte sim in iPad. You will see the personal hotspot under the settings on your left.

10. SpaceCracker macrumors newbie

Sorry I thought there was a special thing you had to do to get the hot spot feature to work.

11. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

They have but there are still a lot of people out there with grandfathered unlimited data plans.

----------

Ok humor me here. If you have an existing 4G LTE phone and you take out the sim card and install in your iPad….what do you do for a phone? I realize you could go Google voice/talkatone combo. Is this what you are talking about?

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

1. You can install verizon messages app to get your real verizon texts/SMS. It's better than iMessage cause you can text/SMS non iPhone users as well.

2. Just forward your verizon calls to whatever number you choose.

3. I don't use my verizon line for my main line. So I forward my Verizon number to my ATT line.

13. SpaceCracker macrumors newbie

My galaxy 3 sim is too big. Guess I have to cut it? It looks like the metal won't line up even if I do? Anyone know?

14. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

What does the unlimited iPad line look like on your VZ bill? Is it still the same charges and taxes for the phone?

15. SpaceCracker macrumors newbie

I bought the tool for cutting my micro sim into a nano sim but it just doesn't look like it's gonna match up. Anyone know if this will work?

16. aneftp macrumors 68040

Again, you are free to use any Verizon LTE sim in any LTE device (mifi, ipad/android tablet, cellular phone) you want and move it around.

Your unlimited data line will cost the same as if you had a regular lte phone with unlimited data.

It's the same bill. Nothing added.

----------

The easiest solution is find a buddy with a verizon iphone 5/5c/5s. Go with him to the Verizon store.

"borrow" their iphone. Tell Verizon rep you need a nano sim card to use on your buddies iphone.

They will give you u a nano sim. Walk out of the store. Eject the nano sim they just gave you. Give iphone back to your buddy.

Take nano sim Verizon store gave you and put in iPad.

Takes less than 10 minutes to do.

17. SpaceCracker macrumors newbie

I have a verizon nano sim that came with the ipad air. I thought It needed to be an active sim from an existing line. That's why I was going to cut my active one and place it in my new ipad. Sorry for all the questions. Just a little confused.

----------

Never mind I see what your saying. I will try it. Thanks.

18. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

So the Verizon iPad Air has a SIM but not the AT&T version? I was thinking of buying the iPad Air with LTE from AT&T but I am not sure if there is a SIM slot?

Just curious if I switch to T-Mobile can I bring an AT&T purchased Air to T-Mobile?

19. Kangda macrumors member

All the iPad LTE models have sim slots. They should all use nano sims.

20. Jasonkrick macrumors member

Hmm,

I tried the Verizon sim card from my phone with unlimited data to an iPad LTE with no success. I thinks I will try's again!!!

21. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Try restarting after you insert. It should work.

22. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

You should always turn the device off before removing and installing a SIM.

23. adl14 macrumors newbie

Transferring Unlimited Data to another Phone in Same Plan

Does anyone have any ideas on how to transfer an unlimited data plan to a different phone line, within the same Family Share Plan (verizon)?

My sister has unlimited data, which she doesn't use. We want to transfer that plan to my brother's phone line (who currently has 2gb plan). Spoke to a verizon rep and she said it could be done by switching SIM card numbers (which she could do over the phone). We do NOT want to switch phone numbers, only the data plans.

When I called back with the SIM numbers, a different rep told me it couldn't be done. Any ideas? This seems to be a great forum with a lot of ideas so I'm hoping!

Thanks!

24. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

Can't be done