Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I was going to get a new line since my contract date was after the release day, but without me calling in my status was changed to upgrade available.

Has this happened to anyone else and how far out was your contract end date?

My original upgrade date was 9/21/2014

Last edited:

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
I was reading that a bunch of people had this happen and was hoping I would too. Finally checking again earlier they bumped my upgrade to today! The original date was on 9/22

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Thank goodness that I'm off contract and can happily upgrade my phone.
When I had a contract, it seemed like I was never eligible for an upgrade, but they can't stop me now. :cool::p

KdParker

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I was reading that a bunch of people had this happen and was hoping I would too. Finally checking again earlier they bumped my upgrade to today! The original date was on 9/22

Nice.

They would have never down this in any of the previous years and I also entertained jumping to At&t if there family plan was comparable in price.

cmcclure88

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2014
My upgrade date was originally Sept 21st a couple weeks ago but as of earlier today it was changed to Sept 4th. Probably just to allow those who bought iPhone 5's in the first few weeks of release the ability to buy the 6 since the original dates would fall after the new release.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
My upgrade date was originally Sept 21st a couple weeks ago but as of earlier today it was changed to Sept 4th. Probably just to allow those who bought iPhone 5's in the first few weeks of release the ability to buy the 6 since the original dates would fall after the new release.

Looks like anyone that was within one week is getting the early upgrade.

Drew888

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
My upgrade date is Oct. 12, 2014. Called Verizon and asked if they could move up the date, since I'm just under a month off... Flat out told "no"

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
I wasn't ready for an upgrade until September 18th. I checked a couple hours after the keynote and I was bumped back to September 4th - automatically without me asking.

It should be noted that under normal circumstances (not an iPhone release), you can do an in-store upgrade 2 weeks before your due date, and 1 week ahead of time by phone. A chat associate told me this a few weeks ago. It looks like they changed my date to the "in store" upgrade time.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I wasn't ready for an upgrade until September 18th. I checked a couple hours after the keynote and I was bumped back to September 4th - automatically without me asking.

It should be noted that under normal circumstances (not an iPhone release), you can do an in-store upgrade 2 weeks before your due date, and 1 week ahead of time by phone. A chat associate told me this a few weeks ago. It looks like they changed my date to the "in store" upgrade time.

That makes since. So if you are 1 or 2 weeks out you should get it?

----------

My upgrade date is Oct. 12, 2014. Called Verizon and asked if they could move up the date, since I'm just under a month off... Flat out told "no"

You could cancel, take the ETF and sign up for a new contract.

Also trade in the phone and get up to 300 for a working 5s.

What could the ETF be...50 bucks or something?

Drew888

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
That makes since. So if you are 1 or 2 weeks out you should get it?

----------

You could cancel, take the ETF and sign up for a new contract.

Also trade in the phone and get up to 300 for a working 5s.

What could the ETF be...50 bucks or something?

Can't cancel before buying. Whenever you cancel a line, they won't let you add for 60-90 days, don't remember which...

Either going to add a new line via Apple Online Store (app only allows upgrades) or add an EDGE line through Verizon's site. With the $25 discount on service, seems EDGE is cheaper in long run after 2 years???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.