Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
I know you all are fed up with people asking questions about jailbreaking the verizon iphone 4, but I really need help!

I've been on an AT&T iphone 4 jailbroken on 4.1 with limerain since last october so I haven't kept up with how to jailbreak the verizon phones. I got one yesterday and it has 4.2.6 firmware on it. I found this site (http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-verizon-iphone-4-4.2.6-ios-greenpois0n-how-to-video-guide/)

it says you can jailbreak 4.2.6 with greenpoison RC5.4, but on the greenpoison website all there is for download is RC6.1

of course I go to plug my phone into my itunes and it says I have to have at least 10.1 to use this phone in itunes.

so my question is can I upgrade to itunes 10.3.1, restore with my backup from my AT&T phone and then jailbreak with the RC6.1? I don't want to ruin my verizon phone because it's in the process of porting my AT&T number right now and I can't afford to not have a phone lol

your help is much appreciated and thanks in advance for any advice given =)

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
you can use the latest version of greenpos0in. it's a update just like a app in the app store. if your talking about putting att firmware on a Verizon phone no you can't hence the different firmware versions. you can transfer your contacts. apps and purchased music.

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
I was actually able to find the 5.4 greenpoison.

So yesterday I couldn't make or receive calls because my number was being ported, I was able to use 3G data though. I updated iTunes, restore from a backup of my AT&T phone and then jailbroke with greenpoison.

Now I don't have data, can't make calls and when I call to check the status of my number port they say it's complete =(

So I screwed up something.

fizz7283

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
That was for Mac, I have a PC. I did all of the jailbreaking last night before you posted anyway, but I do appreciate you linking that site.

Actually, I got my phone all sorted out. The number we gave verizon to text so we could finish the port had messages blocked on it lol I just had to call and they told me what I had to do to finish the process.

I'm all jailbroken now, trying to figure out the different names on the icons and UI, such a hassle.

Thanks again for trying to help me though!

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
I am on a VIP4, the download is 653 MB iPhone3,3_4.2.8_8E401_restore.ipsw.

I am a little nervious about doing this, i have not JB anything before.

you will be fine. everyone that has a question about jb the vip4, i send them to this link. i have done over a dozen times as im always re-theming and messing stuff up.

follow those instructions to the T. if you have questions...ill be here.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
you will be fine. everyone that has a question about jb the vip4, i send them to this link. i have done over a dozen times as im always re-theming and messing stuff up.

follow those instructions to the T. if you have questions...ill be here.

Ok i am not sure what happened, looked like it was working and after a few nerve racking moments trying to hold the power button and the home button. The Pwnage Tool said i was successful.

However iTunes wanted me to restore the iPhone so i did. The first time it went through the re-store and then gave me an error saying the phone could not be resotred, i then tried it again and this time it restored and then gave me the option to restore from backup or setup as a new phone. i chose to use the "from backup option". looking at the phone i am pretty sure it is not JB so i guess i failed on this attempt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.