Verizon Iphone4 OTA podcasts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rosalindavenue, Feb 11, 2011.

1. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Just grabbed an iphone. Downloaded apps, exchange synched, and tried to get an OTA podcast off of itunes. I got a notification that said (politely) "You need to get that podcast when you are in wifi range." This would not be good for me; I like to pull them down on the road. Is this an itunes policy, or a verizon policy?

Thanks. This thing is a HUGE upgrade from the Droid Eris.

EDIT: Just tried it again. What it said was "ITEM OVER 20MB. Connect to a Wi-Fi network to download "Name of Podcast"

There does not seem to be a workaround. Wow.

2. rpang macrumors member

With large apps, wi-fi is usually required even on AT&T. Large podcasts may be the same.

3. honeytoast macrumors regular

I would recommend you check out Podcaster (http://goo.gl/3Nrz). It is $2 and it will allow you to manage all of your podcasts on the phone instead of relying on iTunes for syncing. You can download any size podcast OTA within the app.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

there is a work around, get on WiFi. :rolleyes:

It is a network restriction that also applies to Apps, and pretty much any data over 20MB. Their is a work around, but your iPhone much be jailbroken and you must install "3G unrestrictor" (last time I checked it was like $5 from Cydia), but this will not only allow you to download data files over 20mb, but FaceTime over 3G as well.

5. rosalindavenue, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

rosalindavenue thread starter macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Sold. Thank you very much.

EDIT: works great.

6. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Check out one of the podcast apps in the AppStore.

I use "Podcaster" ($1.99)

No. 1, you can forget about the 20mb download limit.

No. 2, you subscribe to podcasts thru the app, and it will automagically start downloading new episodes when you fire up the app. You can also set it to do this over wifi only or wifi/cellular whatever.

For a podcast addict, this beats the heck out of the old way I would do it (syncing EVERY night). I only use iTunes (on my PC) to subscribe to podcasts that do the picture/chapter thing, like Engadget.

7. honeytoast macrumors regular

You're welcome.

8. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

While there is a 20mb download limit from iTunes on the phone, I thought you can still stream podcasts by clicking on the title instead of the download button? Does this not work either with podcasts > 20mb?

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

you can stream all you want: iTunes Podcast, Pandora, Netflicks etc..., just not download all at once. I can't confirm this to be true, but I thought I read somewhere before that its more strenuous on the network to download a large file all at once, versus streaming it for a period of time.