Verizon iPhone's Effect On Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by vtmikevt, Jan 10, 2011.

1. vtmikevt macrumors regular

I'm curious what a Verizon iPhone would do to the state of jailbreaking.

Would the Verizon iPhone have an altered OS and need to be jailbroken differently / separately? (I'm guessing not)

More users will obviously have SOME huge impact but to what extent.

Anything we should expect to change?

2. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I know Verizon doesn't like to use SIM cards, so I could imagine that being an issue. Someone else might have a better guess on it though. Also id imagine differing modem firmware would be an issue?

3. labman, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

labman macrumors 604

labman

Wait till tomorrow :rolleyes: and we have already talked about this if look at some of the other threads. in brief CDMA is harder because a carrier can either except or decline a device. in other words you can have a unlocked phone from Verizon but Sprint can and probably will say no!

4. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

Back when I used to have winMo, the folks at XDA had to cook saperate ROM's for each version of the same phone ( one for the GMS and another for the CDMA) and they still do. They even have different hard SPL for them. I don't know if this would be the case for the iPhone. Maybe it will need two different JB for each version of the phone, maybe not.

I think the dev teams are the ones who can anwser this question, but they need to get their hands on a CDMA iPhone fisrt.

5. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

dont think jailbreaking will be an issue, unlocking yeah....dont see apple making a separate iOS for verizon

6. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Well, I think JB space will attract more hackers that's for sure!

More hackers is good news!

7. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Unlocking =/= jailbreaking.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

There's a slightly altered version of iOS for each iDevice model so I don't think adding another to the mix will change anything on the jailbreaking scene. Unlocking the Verizon iPhone, now that's a different matter.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

"a" Verizon iPhone will have absolutely NO affect on Jailbreaking, or in Unlocking for that matter since CDMA phone are locked to the network anyways. iOS will be no different for one phone to the other one, they just need to add support (drivers) for the new radio(s).

10. vtmikevt thread starter macrumors regular

I know you can't browse the web and talk at the same time with Verizon so I'd have to imagine the iOS would have to vary (even if only slightly) to account for this.

I think the point made above that technically we get different iOS versions for different devices makes sense. This will just be another small variant for the VeriPhone (i'm copyrighting that term).

Thanks for the responses.

11. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I highly doubt Apple will create, and therefore have to support, different versions of iOS for different carriers. They might have to modify iOS to support them but not create a different version. Odds are, they knew early on they would support different networks and designed iOS accordingly.

It'd be a horrible design if to exploit improvements in the network, e.g., simultaneous browse and talk, required people to upgrade their phones.

12. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

The phones probably won't use different OS versions though. Apple can easily put in hardware-level "functionality flags" that define what the network can do. The app can just ask the system "does this device have the data+voice flag?" and do the appropriate action.

13. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Why are we even expecting a CDMA phone why not LTE. Verizon has a fully built out LTE network and ATT is well on the way there.

Apple would be holding back Verizon with a CDMA phone.

14. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Because at the announcement it was said they were bringing the iPhone to their CDMA network. Have you seen Verizon's LTE coverage map? I don't call that "fully built out".

LTE is just not ready for prime time yet.

Attached Files:

• map.jpg
      map.jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
  15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Your attached map shows what they launched in early December which covers 38 Metro areas and 110 million of the population. Its not perfect, but wide enough to include the majority of potential iphone users. CDMA will severely restrict the Iphone capability since it cannot support simultaneous voice and data. Did not see the announcement, but would be dissapointed if it is truly CDMA.

16. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

The CDMA standard that Verizon uses does support simultaneous voice+data, but it requires special hardware that handset makers have for some reason been reluctant to include.

Any word yet on whether the VeriziPhone will have SVDO hardware? If so, there's your simultaneous voice and data.

17. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

It all depends on if the exploits they are using on the GSM iphone are present on the CDMA iphone.

Without knowing what hardware changes were made this would be difficult to tell...

18. maturola, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Those are functions that can be present on AT&T phone as well just not activated, iOS will be unified, just like when MMS and Tethering was active on Europe but no showing up on AT&T.

Currently Big Red iPhone is running 4.2.5. Which I believe accommodate all this functions, I guess we will see 4.3 unified boh phones.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe another reason to wait for 4.3 to release an untethered JB that could possibly JB both GSM and CDMA iphones.

20. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

They'll never catch up when it takes 6 months to crack each new version.

21. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

LOL... so since NOv 20ist.... to JAN 11 is now 6 months.... and the fact that the Firmware was JB from day one..doesn't count??? :rolleyes:

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Obviously you dont have a good memory or dont know about the history of JB in the past 4 years.
    But since you know it all maybe you can come up with a new JB in under 6 months:D