Verizon just told me I'd have to send in my 5s now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmaxdmax, Sep 15, 2014.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

I have to return my phone immediately though I won't get a 6 until mid-October. The on-line chat guy said I'd just have to be without a phone for awhile. (a month!) I said I was stunned and he said "I guess Verizon should have thought of that".

So I can pick a different color/size that may come faster. Or make a fuss with somebody. Or figure it out tomorrow.

2. Jagar macrumors newbie

wow they're gonna make you phoneless for a month?? thats ridiculous. :(

3. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

I day would be frustrating. 2 days would be unacceptable. I don't have an adjective for a month.

4. wxman2003 Suspended

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

6. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing an EDGE upgrade and the device isn't fully payed off.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It appears the OP is on the Verizon's equivalent of the NEXT plan. Think it's the Edge.

8. wxman2003 Suspended

Try going to a corporate store on friday and see if any 6's are left. Perhaps you can do the switch then.

9. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

It's a standard 2 year contract upgrade on a phone that's eligible. They have no excuse.

10. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

If its a 2 year contract upgrade and you're eligible for an upgrade, then there is no way they can take your device, you own it. Time to raise some hell on the phone.

11. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Wow no, they don't. I had to practically beg them to take my BB Storm when it bricked just so I wouldn't have to try to find where to recycle it. They probably want to turn around and sell it as a refurb :p. But no. Definitely escalate this. The 5s is your property to do with what you want. You could stick it in a drawer, and it shouldn't matter to them.

12. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Something is very wrong with that information. Don't send your phone in. That is absolutely not how it is supposed to work. Verizon will be haemorrhaging customers if that is their policy.

13. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

OP isn't even Edge. They said above it's contract with eligible upgrade.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That makes no sense. You return it only if you're on Edge (Verizon) or Next (AT&T) unless you pay it off.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Okay, did a search and I can't understand what the OP did:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19667308&postcount=193

16. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

Sorry - I was tired and angry and naturally assumed people could read my mind.

I'm trading in my 5s to get a black 6 - 64GB, getting a new phone for free as per their marketing. I'm staying on a traditional 2 year contract - EDGE doesn't make sense for me.

Now they're telling me I need to turn in my current phone a month before I get my new one. As I see it I have 3 options:

1 - make a fuss and possibly (probably) win
    2 - take a gold 64 and get it fast
    3 - take a black 128 and get it fast.

#2 isn't happening. My 5s is gold but since I use a case I just see the white face. I prefer black.

17. dotme macrumors 6502a

I think you should call in or stop into a store and speak to someone else. I believe you were misinformed...

"Once you submit your trade online, you'll receive shipping materials to return your old device back to Verizon Wireless within 7 days after receiving your new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, but no later than 12/01/14." (Bold is my emphasis)

Source: http://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...ade_in_program.html#iPhone Trade-in Promotion

18. Nikomanz macrumors regular

Nikomanz

You know what you can think of too? Switching carriers. If an online chat guy said that to me I would never do business with that company again.

In my opinion, it's my money and the second I don't like the treatment theyre giving me, I switch. I'm not here to make anyone any favors.

But I guess you could love Verizon and switching would be hard. So, I'm only saying this because I had a similar experience with ATT. I dropped them instantly and I have never looked back.

Honestly, you're better off keeping your 5s on prepaid, ordering the 6, waiting 7-10 business days, and sell your 5s on eBay when the next iPhone comes. It'll be just as much, if not cheaper, than the 2 year upgrade-restrictive-contract fees.

19. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

I have 2 other phones on the plan which are mid-contract so it would cost me a lot more than $300 to leave. Anyway, I'm not likely to go through the hassle of changing providers because one call center guy was clueless.

20. mattbnr macrumors newbie

I was told when I called verizon it's a apple promotion not a verizon promotion. So basically they send you the new phone, you mail in your old phone and they give you a $200 visa debit card online only. Basically I think apple store credit.
    I'm gonna go into the store when I get home and talk to them cause that sounds ridiculous to me.

21. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

The only reason he is telling you to hand your phone in now is to make sure you have it turned in before the 199 dollar promotion ends. If you have a spare phone, even a dumb phone, maybe that will be a better option while you wait for the iPhone 6 to be available.

While it may seem at first he is being weird and leading you astray, I think he may be actually making sure you get the best trade in value for your current phone.

I would look into sellinf your phone on eBay or Amazon and seeing if you can get more that way, and then not need to be on a crunch for time. Still fall victim to the idea that the phone is about to lose a lot of its value as soon as a newer model is released.

Best of luck!

22. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

This is how it works.

1) Start preordering the iPhone 6 from Verizon starting 9/12/14.

2) Submit your trade (fill out the form) online between 9/12/14 & 9/30/14.

3) You will receive shipping materials to return your old device to Verizon within 7 days after receiving the your iPhone 6, but no later than 12/01/2014.

4) Send your old iPhone in the shipping material Verizon before 12/01/14.

5) Verizon will send out the gift cards 4-6 weeks after the trade-in was submitted online.

-------------------

I ordered 3 iPhone 6's but they don't come out until mid/late Oct. I plan on submitting my trade next week but not sending them back the phone until I receive my new phones since you have till end of November to do so.

23. bdb23 macrumors member

^this is exactly how it was for me as well... you got very bad information, if you were told otherwise. And it doesn't really matter what they "told you", it's all automated. pre-order your phone, then got to trade-in page, fill out questions about your trade in and it's a done deal... they mail it to you to send to them when you get the new phone in-hand. And then they send you the gift card...

Perhaps they thought you meant you wanted to apply the 200 directly to the purchase, in that case, yes they need the phone before hand... but there's really no reason to do that unless you really need the money... you can use the 200 gift card to pay your next bill when you get it. or sell the gift card on ebay if you really just want cash.