Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

verizon_logo_500-250x150.jpg
Verizon today introduced its new "MORE Everything" plans, which offers up to double the monthly data for customers while also implementing doubled bandwidth, a complimentary 25GB of cloud storage, and unlimited international messaging.

The carrier is also offering discounts for customers enrolled in its Verizon Edge early upgrade program, as those with monthly data plans of 8GB of data or less receiving a line discount of $10, while others will receive a $20 line discount if their plans include 10GB of data or more.

The move comes in the midst of a marketing war between U.S. cellular carriers. Recently, AT&T launched lower-cost Mobile Share Value Plans for families and announced a new promotion to offer up to $450 in credits to customers that switch to it from T-Mobile. Meanwhile, T-Mobile launched its own program offering up to $350 in credits to customers that switch to its network.

Verizon also posted its results for Q4 2013 last month, stating that it had activated 8.8 million smartphones, down from 9.8 million smartphones in the year ago quarter. Notably, Verizon failed to announce sales numbers for the iPhone on its network, marking the first time that the carrier has done so since it began selling Apple's device in February 2011.

Article Link: Verizon Launches New 'More Everything' Plans with Doubled Monthly Data, 25GB of Cloud Storage

Last edited:

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I prefer the cheaper, WAY faster network of AT&T. Keep your cloud storage. I would rather have the quality and provide the carrier less of my money.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
There are already enough cloud services around, and I doubt this one will excel at anything. It's a poor marketing ploy to get people to buy into something they don't need.

I'd rather they used that cloud infrastructure to somehow benefit what the consumer wants from a carrier -- that being quicker speeds, better signal and better support.

Ivan0310

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
I got your marketing right here...

How about the big carriers try this: instead of repackaging the same old nonsense and charging us more for it, try giving us what we actually want and charging less?

It's a pipe dream, I know.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Verizon, you're dumb pipes! Not some cloud storage company. Just stop it, nobody cares. I quickly glanced over these plans, and they mostly look like more of the same marketing BS. Except maybe now they're more confusing than ever?

All I know is that AT&T has caught back up to Verizon where I moved to in 2012, so if they don't let me upgrade my iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 as soon as it's available, I'm going to jump back. I've got no loyalty to dumb pipes—provided that they work. The only benefit of Verizon is the hotspot functionality that they are required to have due to the national spectrum block that they purchased. I haven't even used that in a long while.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I prefer the cheaper, WAY faster network of AT&T. Keep your cloud storage. I would rather have the quality and provide the carrier less of my money.

^YMMV

The difference between the VZW plan I currently have and a comparable ATT plan is like a $1. And, Verizon LTE is much faster than ATT's in my area.

For kicks and giggles, I priced my current plan under this more everything plan, and it's the same price. Oh, well... All wireless carriers here suck.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
It's at times like these I'm glad the T-Mobile/AT&T merger failed. More infrastructure for T-Mobile and plenty of disruption into the industry. Competition is good for the consumer. I have a little under a year before I decide if I stay with Verizon, go back to AT&T or possibly jump ship to T-Mobile.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
How about the big carriers try this: instead of repackaging the same old nonsense and charging us more for it, try giving us what we actually want and charging less?

It's a pipe dream, I know.

It's a pipe dream we all share. So long as T-Mobile is around, I think we'll eventually get what we want as the carriers jab at each other.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It seems to me that as the smartphone market is saturating in the US, we will continue to see the carriers focus on price and then throw other gimmicks like this. I for one am glad to see the competition - we the consumers win.

I suspect that Tmob got it right that the way to go is to separate the phone from the service, like they do almost everywhere else in the world. There is technology differences between the carriers - you still can talk and surf at the same time on Verizon for example. But I suspect that is mattering less and less when consumers make a decision. It will be about the phone and the price.

Just my thinking at least.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The only benefit of Verizon is the hotspot functionality that they are required to have due to the national spectrum block that they purchased. I haven't even used that in a long while.

Just FYI, the AT&T mobile share plans all include hotspot functionality.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Verizon, you're dumb pipes! Not some cloud storage company. Just stop it, nobody cares. I quickly glanced over these plans, and they mostly look like more of the same marketing BS. Except maybe now they're more confusing than ever?

All I know is that AT&T has caught back up to Verizon where I moved to in 2012, so if they don't let me upgrade my iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6 as soon as it's available, I'm going to jump back. I've got no loyalty to dumb pipes—provided that they work. The only benefit of Verizon is the hotspot functionality that they are required to have due to the national spectrum block that they purchased. I haven't even used that in a long while.
AT&T and Verzion have a significant data collection/data storage infrastructure, I have personally works on some projects. Far from dumb pipes

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It just logged into my account and it looks like they automatically changed my 2GB share plan to 3GB at the same price. Not very impressed.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Whoever runs their marketing department is a retard. If you intend to do something, then do something that's actually comparable to ATT (at least). But they came up with this half-ass plan, most people (including me), benefit nothing from it. At the end, Verizon just piss people off and push the over the edge to switch.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
AT&T and Verzion have a significant data collection/data storage infrastructure, I have personally works on some projects. Far from dumb pipes

The point you're missing is that people only care about the dumb pipes from their wireless carriers.

Most people aren't interested in these "value add" propositions, usually because they get those features elsewhere, with some combination of lower cost/better features/no carrier lock-in.

Like the free email accounts supplied by your ISP, these are just tools Verizon uses to lock customers in to their service, to make it hard to jump ship if/when a better opportunity presents itself.

That, and it gives the marketing types a way to justify their existence. ;)

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I love my AT&T plan - I'm paying so much less for the same thing I had before AT&T announced the price drop and didn't have to do anything at all!

I'm paying $155/mo on AT&T for what VZW charges me $220/mo for.

Simm95

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
Is this replacing Verizon's current "share everything" plan? Do I automatically get double the data for the same price?

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Whoever runs their marketing department is a retard. If you intend to do something, then do something that's actually comparable to ATT (at least). But they came up with this half-ass plan, most people (including me), benefit nothing from it. At the end, Verizon just piss people off and push the over the edge to switch.

This. I swear, I am about to do something that I would have never even dreamed of doing up until now: Consider AT&T.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
They really need to update their prepaid data pricing. AT&T has had the 3gb for $30 plan for awhile now, yet verizon is still 2gb, $30. I'd really like to use verizon on my ipad so I can have the two best carriers, but that extra gig for the same price is too valuable to change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.