Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
US carriers are always funny to me. I mean they even charge you extra for tethering (or used to), a feature of the hardware, not the service.

cane811

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Some of you don’t understand what this is for. Silence unknown callers and this feature aren’t the same thing. This will block known spam calls right away. If a call comes through, it’s a verified call on VZ’s end so you know it’s legitimate to answer.

In my field, I get calls all the time from people not in my contacts. This is useful to me.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Some of you don’t understand what this is for. Silence unknown callers and this feature aren’t the same thing. This will block known spam calls right away. If a call comes through, it’s a verified call on VZ’s end so you know it’s legitimate to answer.

In my field, I get calls all the time from people not in my contacts. This is useful to me.
To each their own. Some believe any call verified(?) from Verizon should be answered. Others believe that unknown (to me) callers can just leave a voice message. I prefer the latter as I check any voice mail and call back as appropriate within 5 minutes. Then I can choose to add this caller to my contacts for the next time they call. Its all good..... just disappointed VZ chose to charge for this.

lsbuffs

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2009
I'm running iOS14 and the new feature I noticed yesterday updating the Verizon Call Filter app. is the option to have calls identified as junk blocked completely. Previously they were silenced but the junk caller would go to voicemail. The new option is "Terminate - Call is blocked without leaving a voicemail".

I consider this an improvement but agree it s/b free. Still don't understand why Verizon doesn't offer the ability to block neighborhood spam, allowing you do block all calls from your prefix or another prefix you indicate. Hiya offers this, also in a subscription model.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The "later" and "plan to" parts still mostly leave it up in the air so far. Realistically speaking all that should have already been there and included in the service some time ago, as it has been for various other providers.

UnusedLoginID

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
This is actual proof that the carriers are profiting - since they charge for the service - from spam calls which is nothing short of extortion.
I can’t wait for a class-action lawsuit because we should all be in.
As a reminder, the carriers and only the carriers can solve the spam/scam calls problem.
Once again either a lawsuit or government intervention will be the only way they will do what’s right for the customer.

• Haha
Reactions: TiggrToo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.