Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
When I turned off my Verizon phone to get an iPhone, the CSR told me that they are coming out with a "better iPhone".... so funny. This was months ago. I love the coverage from Vz in my area, but they sure did blow it with Apple.

This is just another classic case of the R&D department.... rob & duplicate.

One more thing I just noticed looking at the pics.... plastic displays sure are magnets for fingerprints.... way worse than glass. Funny how people made fun of the touch screen for that reason, now we see other companies following suit.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
A few questions that I have:

1. Will LG allow 3rd party apps?
  2. Will LG and Verizon allow the phone to be unlocked and used with other carriers?
  3. Will Verizon charge their customers for ringtones?

kalamus

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
Grand Prairie, TX
Scroll back a page...

I got a question.

Who at LG said this was an iPhone killer? They probably didn't even bring it to the market to be, it's just an update to a phone that is in it's 3rd generation.

Just because some website says "LG's new iPhone killer" doesn't mean LG intended it to be.

Get a clue people.

Fanboy powers UNITE.

"Reuters quotes Verizon Wireless Chief Marketing Officer Mike Lanman as saying that "[Voyager] will kill the iPhone."

No, He's not from LG but some website didnt just come up with that. iPhone killer is said with tongue firmly in cheek, because it SO isnt even competition for the iPhone.

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I'm hopeful that someone will eventually compete with Apple in a meaningful way. Sadly this phone is not one of them

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
Screw the Voyager (I prefered when it was called the enV X). I'll be getting the Pearl when it comes out.;)

boobooq88

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
of all the phones that are out or soon to come out I think I will be getting this as my next phone. Not as nice as the iPhone but still a good phone. Plus, in my experience, Sony Ericcsons are built like bricks.

But of course it depends on the price :p

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
i...i'm sorry. is Apple a phone carrier now? are we going to start blaming the Iraq war on Apple too?

I lolled. That is so true. This guy should be posting on Digg which has degenerated into an Apple Hating troll cave.

I saw the coverflow. I agree with the lag, it takes so long to just open up the music player. Plus what kind of advertising is this where the battery isnt even full.

That's not an advertising problem, that's just how fast the battery drains in real time.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Sprint wont activate a verizon phone...so that makes verizon phones "unlocked" but you still can only use them with verizon....freedom is nice isnt it?:rolleyes:

At least Verizon is doing their part to unlock the phone, certainly more than at&t is doing. Even if your phone still can't be used on most other networks, you can't hold other competitors' policies against Verizon.

And FWIW, I hear that some of the small, regional CDMA carriers will activate phones from Verizon and Sprint and the other CDMA carriers. So all hope is not lost.

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
The "Apple Killer" has to come before the "iPhone Killer" or else any company could make the greatest phone of all time and it still wouldn't kill the iPhone.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
"iPhone Killer"

hahahaaa ahahahaha hahahahhhahahha cough cough hahahhah hahah hahah cough wheez hahaha ohhh please stop hahaah.. you're killin me...ohhhh ahahahhah... cough cough...haha..someone get me a glass of water...hahaha hahhha....

hidehide

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
I waiting for the cellphone that will be released by Nokia.
As we can see Nokia's new N95 (3G) has 8gb memory with 5MP camera.. well, my N73 which is released in 2006 summer, already got 3G and 3MP camera.
And Nokia is like the top cell phone in the industry. I think they will release a better cell phone later, and say bye bye to iPhone..

iPhone is really suck as long as it stays locked and no 3rd party application.. plus, it doesnt have any extraordinary function.. no 3G, only 2MP camera..
The only good thing about iPhone is its large touch screen, and the OS, but other functions are not that special to be able to keep people in 2 year contract..

Lets say, you bought the iPhone, and after 1 year, there might be a revolutionary update in the cellphone industry, well apple might stay behind, lol. But then, you are stuck in the 2 year contract, lol

amacisbetter

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Hahahaha

"People who want a high-end media phone and want to stay with Verizon will certainly give that one a hard look. I don't know that it would pull anybody away from an iPhone," he said.

:D:D:D

translation: It's good. It's not that good. But it's good.

So true, I couldn't agree more! :p

whit1009

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
iPhone will still beat the Voyager

The iPhone is unique because it's the iPhone. The Voyager will not sell as many at the price of $400 because it is not made by ":apple:" I bought a Mac a few months ago, and it convinced me to buy the iPhone. I will most likely never buy another phone or computer that is not made by Apple because they just have ingenious ideas! They are amazing!! :D:D:D:D:D
Why are all these phones and mp3 players that try to compete with Apple coming out with them after Apple does? Only so they can copy their ideas and "try" to make it better, but they truly don't compete.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Oh puh-leeeeze Verizon. Is that a PLASTIC touch screen? And do my eyes deceive me, or is that a little metal antenna sticking out?? The kind I used to see on pocket radios back in the 1970's?? Don't call us, we'll call you. Next!

mpspence

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2007
User Interface

i've tried hard to explain what every other phones interface is like compared to the iphone, i think i finally found a comparison, every other phone is like using a computer without a mouse, imagine taking the mouse away and then try navigating your computer, thats what all these dumbasses that keep coming out with hard keyboards are essentially doing,

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
What?

I know I am going to be flamed for this, but I intend to buy a LG Voyager to replace my LG 8300 when NE2 hits. I am going to be locked into Verizon for long time, so I will get this, it's good enough, and it's the closet I'll get to an iPhone.

It has EV-DO, a big advantage over an iPhone, and you'd have to admit, Verizon is slowly but surely uncrippling their phones bluetooth, and their UI, I think looks sweet!

I can sync it with a Mac through Bitpim a free program, so it's almost as good as an iPhone for me...

It's not "flaming" when you are right. You are entitled to get whatever you want. I haven't bought an iphone yet because I'm locked into a corporate account with Verizon. I personally also like EV-DO, but its hardly usable on my treo 700w and I don't believe that will get any better with this new phone. Until ANYONE can compete with a decent implementation of Opera or webkit with a big screen, Half-VGA or better screen, EV-DO/HSDPA just won't matter. Not in the USA where no one makes video calls.

About Verizon "slowly uncrippling" bluetooth.. WTF does that mean? Bluetooth is only used for a few things aka headsets, gps, and syncing. Most people just want to use a headset and get their ringtones, pictures, and video on and off their phone. Its been 5+ years since bluetooth found its way to mobile phones and YOU STILL CANNOT MOVE A ****** PICTURE OFF A VERIZON PHONE.

The UI is certainly an improvement on that LG, but if you think it comes anywhere CLOSE to an iphone, then you OBVIOUSLY haven't used one.

If you are truly comparing this device and an Iphone as a whole, again, you obviously haven't used an iPhone. You just CANNOT say it comes anywhere IN THE SAME BALLPARK as an iphone.

1) Interface: Best interface on a device ever vs crap iphone ripoff
2) Controls: Multitouch vs standard touchscreen
3) Screen: 3+" 480x320 vs 2.5+" 320x240
4) Web browsing: Near-Desktop Class browser + decent speed vs total CRAP browser + 3G EVDO
5) use as an iPod: 8GB onboard - beautiful interface - coverflow vs mediocre interface + $300 8GB SD card
6) Itunes Wifi music store $0.99 128kbps/$1.29 256kbps song vs VCAST wmv DRM $2.00 song 128kbps

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Thats false. Vz is CDMA but you still can not take a Vz phone and sign up to Sprint with it.

That's the big point. Verizon has some good phones that I would like to use on Sprint but it won't work there or on any other CDMA provider.

I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything more about the Prada phone. I saw one recently in a store that sells unlocked phones. Still, Voyager might help push Apple to make things better to draw more customers.

I'd rather have faster data access, in any case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.