Resolved Verizon LTE in Kansas City

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KUguardgrl13, May 24, 2013.

1. KUguardgrl13, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Up until a few days ago my iPhone 5 would rarely if ever drop to 3G in the Kansas City area. Lately it seems that I can't keep an LTE signal for more than a few minutes at time. I've been worried that something happened to the antenna after I dropped it the other day (have an otterbox so no visible damage). A guy at the Verizon store said it was probably the part of my house I was it, but it's been happening all over town. Of course I got LTE in the store. I've tried everything but a full factory reset and restoring from a backup. Planning to go to the Apple Store tomorrow and get it looked at. I just wanted to check if anyone else in the area has been having issues. I'm on the Kansas side.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You guys have Google fiber. So... I don't feel bad for you. :p:D;)

Only kidding. I recently started a thread about Verizon issues (in Boston). It's not exactly what you are saying, it's worse. We lose data all together sporadically in the middle of the city. I wonder if it's issues with overloading. I got a few responses to the thread with others having issues locally. One guy even swapped his phone out through Apple and it didn't change. Bummer.

3. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yeah Apple is giving me a replacement as soon as they get some in stock. Hope that fixes it. Going to Chicago for the holiday, so I'll check if it's happening up there.

4. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Service in the Chicago area seems to be better. Must be issues in KC that Verizon won't admit.

5. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I hate to bump this thread, but I just got back to Kansas City and I'm still only getting 3G with intermittent LTE. Anybody else experiencing this??

6. Baggio macrumors 6502

Contact Verizon. Sounds like they are having tower problems in your area.

7. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I went into a different store than my local one, and they replaced the SIM card. So far it's only dropped to 3G once that I've noticed.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

9. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

They didn't have any in stock when I was there last. I was in to pick up my MBP today, and the genius I talked to thought it was probably a network thing, not hardware (bf was having similar issues on his tmobile 4S). He said antenna issues usually have no signal at all. The new SIM card seems to be helping. I wanted to get my computer back to do a factory reset since I didn't do that before. I'm wondering if all I needed to do was take the SIM out and put it back in.

10. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It must be something with the towers or some hardware issue that Apple won't look for. Verizon gave me a new SIM card, but I still continue to have intermittent 3G when I should be getting LTE.

11. Baggio macrumors 6502

I think it is on Verizon's end as well. You mentioned that LTE worked fine when you travelled outside your home area.

12. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

LTE was at least better when I was traveling. I had wifi, so I didn't notice LTE or 3G. There is a massive thread in the Apple support forums of people with very similar issues.

13. cynics macrumors G3

Since there isn't multiple radios/antennas for LTE in the iPhone 5 like some phones have I'd assume its Verizon related.

I think you wouldn't have any signal with hardware problems.

I want to think that stores have mini antennas. I feel that when I'm in a Verizon store my signal strength and speed is always very very good. A block away can be very poor.

14. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

That's basically what apple told me that if something was wrong with the antenna I wouldn't be getting a signal. I'm just curious about this whole thing since I had pretty good service up until recently.