Verizon LTE iPad, does it support T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon..?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Quad 2.5 G5 =), Mar 8, 2012.

1. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Looking at the tech specs for the Verizon LTE iPad, it supports all of the GSM 3G/Edge frequencies, and Apple said they are both unlocked. Could this mean I could get the Verizon LTE iPad, pop an AT&T sim card into it, activate it, and use AT&T's HSPA 3G+/4G network, but not AT&T's LTE network?

2. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

No. They said in the keynote...

3G will work for any carriers outside of the US.

3G will only work for the carrier you choose, inside the US.

4G will only work for the carrier you choose, inside the US.

3. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

The Verizon one will definitely only support verizons LTE network.I wonder if it will support Rogers,telus,and Bells LTE(verizons)and if my Verizon iPad can go to AT&T's HSPA network as well

Edit:Just saw the post above me.Where does it say it will only will support 3G inside the US for the carrier you choose?

4. Quad 2.5 G5 =) thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I know it will only support Verizon's LTE network, not AT&T's. I'm asking if it would support AT&T's 3G network. Why would it support all those GSM frequencies if it wasn't possible?

5. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

There are multiple threads like this going on already.

6. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

What part of the keynote? I missed that when watching but I want to go back and see.

7. profets macrumors 68040

The LTE iPad being sold in canada is the same as the AT&T version.

The interesting question is whether the Verizon version will be allowed to work on AT&T. Technically it has the proper bands for AT&T, but who knows if they enabled some policy to block it.

----------

It was when Schiller was talking about the network capabilities, a bit after some demos I think?

He was trying to be clear about both models having identical gsm/edge/hspa/hspa+/dc-hspa support that can be used worldwide. I think they purposely do not mention the Verizon LTE model working on AT&T hspa as it'll confuse consumers.

8. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

What part of the keynote said this?

I find it hard to believe a company would lock a non subsidized product

9. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

They do the same bull with the new iPhone 4s if you buy it "unlocked" from Apple direct. That's why I will be buying my next phone from Canada as there phones are truly unlocked.

When need Tim Cook to use some Steve courage and say are devices bought unsubsidised are going to be unlocked. If you do not like it don't sell our phones or tablets.

Time for Verizon to Earn Our Business with agressive pricing, customer service, and network quality.

10. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

I think it was because of this post:
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/0...erizon-4g-ipad-to-use-with-atts-hspa-service/

The two big ones I think hotspot feature and which carrier would offer the best coverage in NYC. Coverage has really really sucked with ATT so far with 3G/Voice with Verizon leading by miles... though now that its 4G... not sure which one is better since apparently its supposed to give ATT a boost?