Verizon LTE Voice Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trey M, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Trey M, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

So, I'm wondering about this issue I have recently experienced.

With the iPhone 6 came Verizon announcing that LTE voice is now live. I've had some issues with Verizon's LTE voice since then, however.

I'm haven't pinpointed the issue, but my theory is that your call is much, much more likely to drop when on an LTE call versus a 1X call. While (to my knowledge) the LTE call should automatically default to a 1X call when cell service goes from 1 bar to 0 bars, for example, it seems that this transition process switching over from LTE to CDMA is very glitchy and often times causes a dropped call.

I have always had bad service in my bedroom (1-2 bars max), yet I was able to make 1X calls with no issue anytime. However, since receiving my new iPhone 6 on Verizon, it seems that my dropped calls have become so frequent that it's concerning to me. I am sure it is a software issue, but it is a cellPHONE and I hope Verizon fixes this issue quickly as to make their new LTE voice relevant.

2. Jades macrumors 6502

I was waiting for the day this would happen. I was never confident in verizon's lte network and made comments about it in multiple forums. More people should be complaining and then verizon will finally wake up

For the meantime- best to wait for wifi calling, which verizon announced will be available in 2015

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It says in the FAQ on Verizon's web page that VoLTE calls will not handoff to 3G. So if you are in an area that has spotty LTE coverage and LTE services goes away during the call, the call will drop since it can't handoff to 3G.

4. Trey M thread starter macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. That really defeats the purpose of HD calling for me. Until they can do a seamless handoff, the feature is useless to me. And I suspect I'm not the only that that has just so-so LTE coverage where I live.

5. eternalife macrumors regular

Same issue

I'm having the same issue. I'm dropping calls like crazy. At first I thought it was my brand new iPhone 6 until I remembered I activated voLTE. I turned it off and things have stabilized. Verizon is such a 'hack' company. Who on earth would implement a feature that just drops the call.

6. chrise2 macrumors 6502

This isn't new. This has been happening with their data since LTE came out. Data can't transition from LTE to 3G/1x. I'm guessing there's a technical reason for this. Verizon's answer will probably be to just make the network more robust so you have LTE everywhere. They're pretty close. In the NY area anyway. I was shocked when I finally got LTE (crappy LTE anyway) in my house. I live in a hole so all cell service isn't great.

7. apuddy macrumors newbie

same issue

I was having the same issue here too, I live in San Antonio. Within 24hrs of turning on voice + data over LTE, it was switched back to data only. Probably dropped 9/10 calls before I realized it started with this setting change. Since switching back, no drops. Pretty disappointing since the call quality with VoLTE is pretty awesome when it works. I guess I just have to wait until the LTE network is more robust.

8. zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

LTE and Verizon 3G/1x are incompatible network systems. LTE is GSM while Verizon's "old" network is CDMA.

I've read somewhere when AT&T is first testing this months ago, they are aware of the "handoff" issues when leaving LTE coverage to HSPA+ (3G/4G). Now those 2 are compatible networks and are still having issues, how much more for 2 incompatible systems.

I have TMobile and I can say that the handoff to/from LTE and HSPA+ (3G/4G) is seamless, as long as the signals are ok.

9. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

This is why Verizon made this opt-in. They get the guinea pigs that want to try something new and the people that don't know anything about it won't touch the option.

10. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Yeah, the voice quality is crazy awesome sometimes. Its a shame. I have the problem, but I left it on anyway. I don't like talking to people for very long and this is a good conversation ender.

11. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

can anyone chime in on this topic as to your experience in the los angeles area?

12. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

I live in a basement apartment in Brooklyn and I have LTE and 40mps download while tethered to my macbook. Call quality is crazy good, too. Too bad the phone is so buggy.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Modern day version of paging yourself to ditch a call. I like it. :D

14. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

I don't see how this is a issue. In some areas like mine it works great, an in others its a work in progress. This is why they enabled it. The question is more, why would you implement a volte feature on you're phone. Once you saw it was glitchy in you're area, and it was a work in progress, why didn't you just disabled it instead of complaining?