Verizon MHS291L USB tethering?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by altjx, Jun 9, 2014.

1. altjx macrumors member

Couldn't find much talk about this online in many other places...

Anyways, I have a Verizon 4G LTE Mobile Jetpack device for tethering in hotels and such when I travel. However, when I plug it into my Macbook Pro, it gives me the option to tether or charge. When I choose tether, nothing happens.

Based on the manual, it looks like you should be able to tether via USB -- but the manual only talks about doing this on Windows computers.

Does anyone else have a similar device or any ideas as to how I could get my Macbook Pro to support USB tethering for this device? I'd absolutely love to USB tether as opposed to having to connect via wireless.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You will need a driver I think to recognise a network connection on the USB port. Check the Verizon website, it will be their driver I suspect if one exists.

3. altjx thread starter macrumors member

Eh. There's a bunch of them actually. The current model I'm using is MHS291L. I don't see anything on their site at least for the VZW Access Manager.

Anyone additional ideas? Thanks for your response btw.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You need to be able to configure a network interface on the USB port, if the tethered device doesn't emulate the Apple USB ethernet adapter then you will need a specific driver for it. No driver, no connection.

5. altjx thread starter macrumors member

Correct... I was asking if you had any additional ideas pertaining to where I'd probably be able to find a working driver.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Sorry, thought the "Eh" was confusion. I know for my Vodafone data stick I have to use an old version of the VF software for it, might be same for Verizon if they only keep current versions on the website???

7. altjx thread starter macrumors member

Oh ok -- sorry about that. Hmm, sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip man. Going to look a bit deeper on their site.

8. campyguy macrumors 68040

From my own experience you will not find a driver to enable USB tethering with the MHS291L - Pantech supports only Windows for USB tethering. I gave up trying with mine, and ended up using it with my Cradlepoint router for a while.

I sold the MHS291L to a friend and put my SIM in a shiny new iPad Air, which supports MHS and tethering via USB (no driver necessary now!). Much happier now.

9. altjx thread starter macrumors member

Ah... Very good to know. Thanks so much for your response.

10. joshskidmore macrumors newbie

joshskidmore

I know this is a really old thread, but using HoRNDIS (an open-source OS X driver typically used for Android phone hotspots) works perfectly on OS X Sierra (10.12.1) with the MHS291L / MHS291LVW hotspot in tether mode.

HoRNDIS

Hope this helps someone!
    -Josh