Verizon MiFi like device

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xplor, Jun 8, 2010.

1. xplor macrumors regular

xplor

Where can i get one?
    Is it possible to get one verizon mifi and use it with a european carrier (Vodafone Portugal)?
    I'm considering a 3G internet connection but i need to share it with my MBP, an iPad(when it comes out here), and possibly a phone, even if not at the same time but i dont want to be constantly swapping the sim card between the 3G computer modem and the iPad for exemple.

So, what are my options?

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Unfortunately I can only speak to options available in the US.

I have used this device:

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=765

and it works very well. It's not proprietary, which means that whatever 3G modem is available to you in Portugal should work.

Other companies make similar devices, I'm sure. I'm linking to this Cradlepoint model because I own it and have used it and like it.

In my case, I also added a directional antenna (and associated cabling) to boost the signal.

I've found the folks at 3G Stores to be helpful (I'm not affiliated with them in any way -- just a customer).

3. xplor thread starter macrumors regular

xplor

Thanks!
    But i was looking for something similar to the mifi, so i can put it in my bagpack whereever i go.
    my problem is that every Portuguese carrier offers only USB modems! i dont think there is anything like the verizon mifi.

I also know that people that bought the iPad 3G in spain, and put the SIM card from those USB modem's in them could connect with no problems. So my problem is just to get an unlock modem like the mifi!

thanks again!

4. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Portable. I see.

Well, there's this:

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=316&products_id=673

I don't know whether it's effective or not (and it doesn't have wireless-N), but the fact that it exists suggests that there might be others like it. It's hard to believe that there's only one manufacturer of devices like this.

This one (like the other Cradlepoint) does take a USB modem.

5. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

I use the Cradle point all the time. I got it from Tiger direct for under $100, on sale. You will need a separate USB wireless modem though.

I have used it for a couple of months. Over all it works very well, I can go to any location with decent 3g coverage, turn on the device and the WPA hot spot is ready in about 10 - 15 seconds. There are lots of options to configure hot spot power levels, security etc. I have my iPhone, MBP and other laptops configured to use the connection. I have used it for about 90 minutes before the rechargeable battery warning light came on. I don't no how long I could actually get out of the battery but I could have just plugged in the charger.

I have never used the mifi, I think that it has better battery life. However, the Cradle Point 300 does work well. The key will be your USB wireless modem and the coverage that it gets.

6. elmartin76 macrumors newbie

AFAIK, the Verizon Mifi won't work in Portugal or any other place in Europe.

I made two weeks ago the reverse trip, that is, from Spain to USA and I was too looking for a solution for my carrier-locked Spanish iPhone.

Checking the different solutions, I saw that the Verizon Mifi is locked to them, and besides it's CDMA, so it won't work in European carriers.

The solution was to buy an unlocked Mifi that worked both in Europe and USA (AT&T) like the Mifi 2352:
    http://www.novatelwireless.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=285:mifi-2352-intelligent-mobile-hotspot-for-hspa-networks&catid=75:mifi&Itemid=622

And then when I arrived I got an AT&T sim with a data plan. So, you should also get the Mifi (unlocked) and a SIM from Vodafone or another carrier with a "pay as you go" or similar plan (I don't think a contract-based data plan will be good for you).

7. xplor thread starter macrumors regular

xplor

well thank you guys! both of those solutions will work i guess! now i just need to study them and see whats best here.

@elmartin76 why do you say a contract based connection isnt going to work?

8. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

They both look like they will work for you. The MiFi seems to be the better integrated solution. The Cradle Point seems to be more flexible and cheaper. Either looks feasible.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Verizon equipment = FAIL. Verizon does NOT use world wide standard GSM (no transferrable sim cards), so almost all devices are permantently locked to verizon.

You should ask local carriers. Maybe search their web sites?

10. elmartin76 macrumors newbie

11. xplor thread starter macrumors regular

xplor

Yes, i'm Portuguese :)

Well, thanks to you all. I think i found the solution! the mifi one seems better, and its the one i'll choose. now i need to see if i can buy it here!

Obrigado