Verizon Moto Music Q9 or iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oldimac, Jan 23, 2008.

1. oldimac macrumors regular

No AT&T in my area - have t-Mobile tho.

I need a smart phone to combine my OLD LG 4400 regular phone and old Sony Clie NX70 which I love but is slowly dying. Have been looking at the Verizon Moto Music Q9 and iPhone.

Since I am not a geekhead like most of you on this site, I am not sure I could get an iPhone to work on T-Mobile. I have studied the threads but am pretty confused. I got my first Mac in 1984 and have owned 10 or so since so really would like an iPhone but it sounds pretty daunting to try to get it to work on T-Mobile, although one of the moderators here urged me to try. :eek:

I pretty much know the capabilities (or lack thereof until the SDK is out) of the iPhone but know nothing of the Q9. Anyone have a Q9 to compare and just how hard is it really to get an iPhone working on T-Mobile?

Thanks to anyone jumping in to give this old man some help. :confused:

2. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

The iPhone is easier to use and good quality. The Motorola Q is more powerful since it runs Windows Mobile.

If you do not feel like you can unlock the iPhone, then just go for the Q9m.

What do you want to do with your phone? That will help you make a choice.

3. oldimac thread starter macrumors regular

Business Mostly

I need a good calendar to schedule clients and be able to track how many hours I spend with a client, a notepad and an address book are a must.

It would be nice to be able to create and/or edit word and excel docs as well as to read pdf files. I am assuming that when the SDK is released most of my wants will be met with the iPhone.

AND of course, the iPhone. My biggest concern is putting out $400 and then not be able to make it work on T-Mobile - I really don't care about the visual voice mail thing since I won't miss what I have never had. :p

AND I NEED to be able to sync with my 24" :apple: which the Voyager has some coolness about it but won't sync so that is out.

Thanks for your reply :D

4. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

You might want to check to see if anyone around you has AT&T. There are some areas around me that aren't 'covered' by AT&T, but everything works in them just as it should. Usually it just means they can't assign you a cell number for your area.

5. oldimac thread starter macrumors regular

In The Boondocks

I'm in Taos, New Mexico, no AT&T but there is T-Mobile.

Santa Fe (70 miles away) has AT&T as does Albuquerque (140 miles away). Taos is in their "partner" area.

There are definitely disadvantages to living in the middle of nowhere :mad: but then the air is clean and the mountains are beautiful - just no iPhone to take pictures to show you.

It sounds like quite a few people are using T-Mobile and it seems to work so it seems like it should work here as well. :confused: I don't know what is involved with activating the iPhone as far as not having a sanctioned address, etc., so need help there as well.

Thanks for your reply. :D

6. oldimac thread starter macrumors regular

Any Verizon Q9 Users Out There?

Anyone using the Q9 and iPhone to make a comparison? :D

7. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

If anyone but motorola was making it i would consider it.

However i won't because Motorola tech support is a joke and their software updates hardly ever matter.

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

If it's in their partner area I would think you'd be ok. ATT (as do most of the 'big 4') get a lot of help in the 'boonies' by local affiliiates.

9. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I owned a Motorola Q prior to my iPhone. The Q is beleaguered with serious problems ranging from poor battery life to the messed up Windows Mobile OS. You'll find the screen to be seriously deficient when compared to an iPhone or other higher resolution phones as well. The Q also lacks a touchscreen which wouldn't be a problem except Windows Mobile isn't up to the task of letting the user navigate without one, despite Microsofts claims to the contrary. You'll find a lot of the Windows Mobile software won't work on the Q for this reason which can be very frustrating, particularly when you find an application that compensates for the numerours shortcomings of the OS won't run on your phone.

Additionally, Windows Mobile has serious UI issues. It's really not an OS for consumer phones and is more useful when used for syncing accounts and files with a corporate server that is using Exchange. If you aren't restricted to using an Exchange saavy phone or are attached to Windows there really isn't a good reason to get a Windows Mobile device.

Among other defects that I found was the instability of the OS with frequent crashes, letter dialing was absent (that is if you have a number like 1-888-WMS-UCKS you wouldn't be able to type it with the letter keyboard but instead would have to guess from memory what letter each number represents), and terrible battery life (evidently caused by constantly trying to find a network).

I'm not sure if the new versions of the Q support Wi-Fi but this was a feature lacking in the Q I owned. You'll also find that Internet Explorer on Windows Mobile is an ordeal to use. It's OK for simple web pages but it will cause you to suffer greatly on typical web pages.

On the plus side, the Verizon network was far superior to ATT.

I'm not saying this to get you to consider an iPhone but rather to suggest that other phone's may be better options for your needs.

10. oldimac thread starter macrumors regular

Appreciate The Replys

Since there is no AT&T here, the iPhone was pretty iffy so I was looking at the new Q9 but from the boards there sure isn't too much good being said about it so think I will pass on it although it looks like it is an improvement over the original Q. I have a friend who has a relative working for T-Mobile who says he can make it work so now I am back thinking seriously about the iPhone again. But he says the best phone on the market right now in his opinion is the Blackberry, speed, reliability, etc.

I doubt I will be moving any time soon and it is highly unlikely that AT&T will ever be here so I guess if I do get an iPhone I will be paying for it in more ways than one but damn it is sure a nice piece of work. Am hoping the SDK will take care of the shortcomings I find.

I have never had a problem with Verizon and sure wish they hadn't declined Steve's offer. Oh well, that's water under the bridge and a long waaayyy down stream :(

11. oldimac thread starter macrumors regular

Blackberry Anyone?

Anyone have any experience with Verizon's BB 8830 they would like to share? :p