Carrier Verizon - mysterious charge when trying to upgrade...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brando123b, Sep 9, 2016.

1. brando123b macrumors regular

brando123b

Hi all,

I'm trying to take advantage of the "free" iPhone 7 promotion from Verizon. I have a 64GB iPhone 6 that is currently on the device payment plan through Verizon.

I have 2 options:

1. Return my device and upgrade

2. Own my device and upgrade

I believe option 1 is the free iPhone promo. I select this and it tells me I have to pay $93.66.

Can anyone explain to me how this is free? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Sales tax? Verizon always makes you pay the full retail tax on it's "free" phone.

3. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

From the screenshot, my understanding is that you can only upgrade if you have already paid off at least 75% of the current phones cost, which it appears you haven't yet done and so, VZW is asking you to pay the balance required to get to 75% and then upgrade at no additional charge.

4. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

@martiansoldier is right. You'll need to both pay $93.66 and return your device to Verizon in order to upgrade. I don't believe you can participate in the free iPhone promo if you're already on device payments and haven't fully paid off the phone. Verizon doesn't allow you to both return your phone and trade in another phone.

5. brando123b thread starter macrumors regular

brando123b

I see. That seems fair I suppose. $94 to go from a 6 to a 7 is reasonable.

Thanks for the help.

6. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

No problem! Also, there will be a sales tax and upgrade fee depending on the device you get. My total was around $69 for a 7 Plus 128 GB.

7. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity...if you trade in your phone and upgrade to the new one, do you pay full taxes on the price of the new phone or taxes only on the difference like you would when you trade in a car to buy another one?

8. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure you still pay the full taxes. I've never traded in a phone however, so I'm not 100%.