Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Verizon plans to stop selling unlocked smartphones as a way to deter criminals from stealing the devices, the company told CNET.

As of today, Verizon devices will be locked to the Verizon network and unlocked as soon as a customer signs up for service and activates the phone. Later in the spring, though, smartphones will remain locked until unlocked by Verizon, and Verizon has not yet shared details on how long it will keep phones locked before offering to unlock them.

verizonlockediphones-800x595.jpg

Verizon previously sold all of its smartphones, iPhones included, unlocked, which means they were not tied to the Verizon network and could be used with any carrier right after purchase.

Purchasing a Verizon iPhone has long been a way to get an unlocked device right away, as Apple often does not sell its own unlocked models until several weeks to several months after a new iPhone launches.

With the iPhone X, for example, all Verizon models sold in November were unlocked and were able to be used across different cellular networks.

Going forward, the smartphones that Verizon sells will be locked to the Verizon network. Smartphones locked this way will not be compatible with other carriers until unlocked by Verizon, which is similar to how other cellular carriers in the United States operate.

According to Verizon, the new policy is aimed at preventing criminals from stealing unlocked phones that can be resold or used overseas. "We're taking steps to combat this theft and reduce fraud, Tami Erwin, executive vice president of wireless operations for Verizon told CNET in a statement. "These steps will make our phones exponentially less desirable to criminals.

Verizon has not yet shared details on how its unlocking policy will work, but if it's like other carriers, such as AT&T, the company will offer to unlock a smartphone after a waiting period. AT&T requires customers to wait for 60 days, Sprint requires customers to wait for 50 days (and then automatically unlocks devices), and T-Mobile has a 40-day waiting period, but does offer temporary unlocking for customers who need to travel.

AT&T and Sprint require smartphones to be paid off before being unlocked, but CNET says Verizon will allow customers to unlock their devices regardless of whether or not they're paid off once the waiting period has expired.

Article Link: Verizon No Longer Plans to Sell Unlocked iPhones

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Moved my whole family off of Verizon to T-Mobile (two 55+ year old parents with the two unlimited lines for $60 total with autopay) and my sister and I are on MetroPCS unlimited single lines ($60 a month for me for 50GB data + 15GB of hot spot data & $50 unlimited smartphone data for her line).

Was with Verizon since they were Airtouch Cellular. Most greedy company I've ever done business with. I'm so happy I've left them.

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Moved my whole family off of Verizon to T-Mobile (two 55+ year old parents with the two unlimited lines for $60 total with autopay) and my sister and I are on MetroPCS unlimited single lines ($60 a month for me for 50GB data + 15GB of hot spot data & $50 unlimited smartphone data for her line).

Was with Verizon since they were Airtouch Cellular. Most greedy company I've ever done business with. I'm so happy I've left them.
That’s fine and dandy unless you need cellular service nation wide.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
As a Verizon customer that is happy with the service, and getting an excellent discount through work, I am glad to see this. I am hopeful that the waiting period will be 90 days or less, and this should accomplish exactly what they're stating. When I worked at the Apple Store a few years back, scalpers lined up every day to buy as many Verizon models as we would sell, just to ship them overseas. This should help a lot more Verizon customers get the phones they want, and not have so many non-verizon users trying to take them to other networks.

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Listen I don’t understand the hate for Verizon. I have had Verizon since airtouch. CS is always exceptional to me, the cost of the service is not an issue for me as it’s my business phone and it’s the cost of doing business. Service is decent but they all aren’t perfect. These are all 1st world problems to the fullest extent.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016

Verizon plans to stop selling unlocked smartphones as a way to deter criminals from stealing the devices, the company told CNET.

As of today, Verizon devices will be locked to the Verizon network and unlocked as soon as a customer signs up for service and activates the phone. Later in the spring, though, smartphones will remain locked until unlocked by Verizon, and Verizon has not yet shared details on how long it will keep phones locked before offering to unlock them.

verizonlockediphones-800x595.jpg

Verizon previously sold all of its smartphones, iPhones included, unlocked, which means they were not tied to the Verizon network and could be used with any carrier right after purchase.

Purchasing a Verizon iPhone has long been a way to get an unlocked device right away, as Apple often does not sell its own unlocked models until several weeks to several months after a new iPhone launches.

With the iPhone X, for example, all Verizon models sold in November were unlocked and were able to be used across different cellular networks.

Going forward, the smartphones that Verizon sells will be locked to the Verizon network. Smartphones locked this way will not be compatible with other carriers until unlocked by Verizon, which is similar to how other cellular carriers in the United States operate.

According to Verizon, the new policy is aimed at preventing criminals from stealing unlocked phones that can be resold or used overseas. "We're taking steps to combat this theft and reduce fraud, Tami Erwin, executive vice president of wireless operations for Verizon told CNET in a statement. "These steps will make our phones exponentially less desirable to criminals.

Verizon has not yet shared details on how its unlocking policy will work, but if it's like other carriers, such as AT&T, the company will offer to unlock a smartphone after a waiting period. AT&T requires customers to wait for 60 days, Sprint requires customers to wait for 50 days (and then automatically unlocks devices), and T-Mobile has a 40-day waiting period, but does offer temporary unlocking for customers who need to travel.

AT&T and Sprint require smartphones to be paid off before being unlocked, but CNET says Verizon will allow customers to unlock their devices regardless of whether or not they're paid off once the waiting period has expired.

Article Link: Verizon No Longer Plans to Sell Unlocked iPhones
Glad to hear this. It is about time to limit Verizon phone to only their legit customers like I am. Too many fraudulent activities from other carriers’ customers to get their hand on their phone. Verizon is the best on everything in the US including their phone. The high price is totally worth it. Fortunate for those including myself to be able to afford the cost.

cale508

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
IL
The FCC rules the following:

e)Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee’s standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers’ networks.

Verizon as always with it's greediness.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Glad to hear this. It is about time to limit Verizon phone to only their legit customers like I am. Too many fraudulent activities from other carriers’ customers to get their hand on their phone. Verizon is the best on everything in the US including their phone. The high price is totally worth it. Fortunate for those including myself to be able to afford the cost.

They’re basically following in the footsteps of every other carriers. Devices under the payment plan will be sold locked. Pay it off and the device will be unlocked or pay full price (like every other carrier).

So what’s the issue here?

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
The FCC rules the following:

e)Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee’s standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers’ networks.

Verizon as always with it's greediness.
Don’t worry. Corporate-friendly (and former Verizon Employee) FCC Chair Ajit Pai probably will get his hands on that bit soon enough. But it will all be with the consumer’s interests in mind. Riiiiiiiiiight...

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Listen I don’t understand the hate for Verizon. I have had Verizon since airtouch. CS is always exceptional to me, the cost of the service is not an issue for me as it’s my business phone and it’s the cost of doing business. Service is decent but they all aren’t perfect. These are all 1st world problems to the fullest extent.
The hatred toward Verizon is mainly due to jealousy of not being able to afford the service costs. Jealousy usually triggers the hatred. Just ignore the hatred comments. Fortunate for us for being able to afford Verizon and free from jealousy any hatred or trolling.

Last edited by a moderator:

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Many people buy iPhones in contract, unlock them and fly to Middle East and sell them at huge profit.

Reactions: Order_66

theoski

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
"We're taking steps to combat this theft and reduce fraud, Tami Erwin, executive vice president of wireless operations for Verizon told CNET in a statement. "These steps will make our phones exponentially less desirable to criminals. ----

I hear everyday, people feeding other people ******** but this is pretty stupid rationale. Apple needs to create a global IMEI ban program. I heard some countries don't enforce it depending on local regulations.

Verizon accidentally was one of the progressive carriers but now they are back pedaling.

Reactions: ssgbryan

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
As a Verizon customer that is happy with the service, and getting an excellent discount through work, I am glad to see this. I am hopeful that the waiting period will be 90 days or less, and this should accomplish exactly what they're stating. When I worked at the Apple Store a few years back, scalpers lined up every day to buy as many Verizon models as we would sell, just to ship them overseas. This should help a lot more Verizon customers get the phones they want, and not have so many non-verizon users trying to take them to other networks.
I second this.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
That's a shame. Hope it's easy to unlock. And article doesn't make it clear if verizon phones sold by Apple will be locked? If I remember correctly, when I buy verizon iPhones from apple they don't even come with sims - the sims are shipped separately. So maybe those are still unlocked.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016

Verizon is the best carrier in the US for network coverage and T-Mobile is not close to their coverage. The high price is worth every penny. It is not greedy as it is business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.