Verizon - no SMTP...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by laser310, Mar 21, 2011.

1. laser310 macrumors member

well, i was just configuring the email client on my wife's new verizon ipad2, and when i went to the verizon website, to find the address of their SMTP server, i learned that verizon wireless doesn't offer an SMTP server anymore.

they discontinued it...

it turns out that my isp - optonline - will allow mail from a device on the verizon network to go out over their SMTP server, but not all isps' will allow that.

if you are buying a verizon ipad, and want to use the ipad email client, you might want to check into this.

only other option would be webmail, or third-party SMTP service.

i have an att iphone, and send all my email from that device over the att SMTP server.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think you got the whole email thing confused. Just because you have a Verizon iPad, doesn't mean you use Verizon email services. You are to only use Verizon email services if your email address with @verizon.net or @verizon.com.

You supposed to use your email services' STMP servers. Like @gmail.com you use Google's. @comcast.net, Comcast's. Unless your email address ends with @att.net, you should not use AT&T's STMP server on your iPhone. Because the receiver may not get it or they sender field may be very strange and the receiver can't replay to you.

3. laser310 thread starter macrumors member

you are confusing incoming and outgoing email...

for incoming pop3 email, you use whatever server is associated with your email acct.

but, on many networks, you can't send outgoing email, through an outgoing server on a different network.. they block port 25

that's why, for example, you can have trouble sending email using your email client when you are traveling - your client is configured with your 'home" SMTP server on port 25, but you are not on your home ISP.

some people may have email provided by an ISP that will allow them to connect (over a different port, and with authentication) to their normal outgoing server, but some ISP's do not allow this.

optonline does, so i can send email from the ipad email client through the optonline smtp server, even though i'm on the verizon network.

on my att iphone, i use my normal incoming server (i have my own domain) , and the att smtp server for outgoing email.

i was just pointing out that verizon is not offering an SMTP service.

4. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Laser310 is correct. At the business I work for, we do incoming email for clients but they have to use their ISP for smtp. Generally with webmail services like hotmail, yahoo, google, etc you can send / receive but not all services are like that.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I have never ran into this problem with multiple email services across many different internet connections. I am not confusing in/out email. I know very well what I'm talking about, having setup a few email domains for people. You should not be using a STMP server that is not part of your email service providers. All good IT people know that one should not use the default ports for email services, they make good targets for spam bots and password guessing. There is no "home" ISP issue either. Its all the Internet and being such its all one big network.

6. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

You couldn't be more wrong.

1. Many services don't provide SMTP service for reasons like, not wanting to deal with spam on the network, getting blacklisted by their isp, etc (it happens)

2. There are ISP's that will let you use their SMTP server from anywhere if you use your login credentials and there are others that won't let you if the email doesn't originate from within their own network (ip addresses that they give out)

7. fraggot macrumors 6502

Yeah just use whatever incoming and outgoing server and server type that Verizon uses for their Email.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Number one, could you list a few non-personal email domains that don't have their own STMP server? I find life for those without one to be very hard. What do they do? Send all their email through Google? Do they authenticate through Yahoo? Do they pick some random spam machine in Russia as their outgoing email server?

Number two, who ever still uses their ISP's email service's needs to get to the new millennium. It isn't 1997 anymore. All big ISPs allow worldwide STMP server access. Its only the smaller, not so healthy ISPs that don't allow it.

9. RadicalxEdward, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011

RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

1. The company I work for does it, and I've dealt with other companies who do it if they set up email for clients. It's not the big guys like gmail, yahoo, etc, it's little companies. Just because YOU haven't dealt with it, doesnt mean it doesn't exist.

2. Really? That's you're argument? That people need to get with the times? also, I didn't realize that every single person in the world that's getting an ipad uses a large isp's. Doesn't matter if it's good or not. The fact of the matter is that it's how things are in some places. Why are you even arguing about it. The guy is asking about it because he obviously has the problem.

10. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Sorry, but this is incorrect. I'm a 20+ year IT professional, nearly all of that working with messaging infrastructures. What you're suggesting as the "normal" operation of using the ISP's outbound SMTP gateway to send your outbound mail (say for UserA@domain.com) would be rejected by any correctly configured gateway in the world because ISP.net (example) SMTP servers are not listed as authorized MX servers for domain.com's DNS entry. If it did allow mail to be sent that way it would be considered an open relay and most people would then be rejecting mail from THEM as open relay's are used to bounce spam off of.

11. frosser macrumors newbie

I think I understand the issue that the OP describes.

When I am on 3G on my AT&T iPhone or AT&T iPad, I cannot send email from my Road Runner account using their SMTP server because I am not on their network.

This section is copied from the Road Runner support page:

"You can check your e-mail from another ISP by using one of two options.

The first option is to set up an additional account in your e-mail application using the following settings:

Off-network POP3 Server: pop-server.rochester.rr.com OR pop-server.roadrunner.com (i.e., your Off-network POP Server Name will have the same ending as your e-mail address)

Off-network SMTP Server: Check with your alternate ISP for their SMTP Server name"

Time Warner tells you to use another SMTP server to send email on a Road Runner account when you are off their network. And Time Warner is not a small ISP.

To send email from my Road Runner account when using 3G from my iPhone and iPad, I set up my account to use the AT&T SMTP server. I have never had any problems doing it this way.

12. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I'm not sure where you got the idea that this discussion has anything to do with relaying mail. That would be relevant if we were talking about one SMTP server trying to relay its mail through another one.

We're talking here about using another networks SMTP server to send mail from a client when you are not on their network. That has nothing to do with relaying.

13. alent1234 macrumors 603

it is relaying, i used to be an email admin. everyone used to relay until around 2003 when spam killed the good times. now a properly configured email server will only send email from authorized users and where the from address is their own DNS zone.

there are internet relay tests that will test email servers and if they are able to relay they will blacklist you and anyone who uses their services will blacklist your company's email. and it's a big PITA to deal with

14. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I don't see how is this such a big problem...

I don't see how is this such a big problem...
    The fact that Verizon doesn't offer an SMTP Outbound Server is actually Great News.

I have the 3G iPad on AT&T's network, and I have never used their SMTP Server. I don't want to use it either. Some of their servers get blacklisted and blocked for relaying spam, or due to abusive subscribers.
    In the past, AT&T used to reroute all SMTP traffic to go through their own servers. I believe they may still do that, which sucks, but there are several workarounds.

So, if your ISP blocks or reroutes port 25 (SMTP), there are alternative ports you may be able to use, including the ones used for SMTP-SSL.
    As long as you authenticate with your username/password on your SMTP settings, you should be OK.

If a specific SMTP server gets blocked by an ISP, you should be able to use an alternate one. As long as you authenticate, the server in most cases will allow you to send emails, even if the From field contains an address than belongs to a different domain.

I have 4 IMap accounts and 1 Exchange Account, and have no issues sending/receiving email. And I use multiple networks, including public/private connections.
    The only problem I find when I use the GMail SMTP Server is that I can't send any executable files as attachments, sometimes not even inside a Zip file unless the Zip file is password protected (Encrypted). But it's not really a big deal.

In worse case scenario, you could setup a VPN connection to Work, to avoid any unusual filtering.

15. frosser macrumors newbie

I was wrong

I mistakenly thought that Road Runner would not allow me to send email from my Road Runner account when I was not on their network.

My work-around was to use AT&T's SMTP server on my iPhone and iPad.

After reading through the insightful posts in this thread, I learned about SMTP authentication using my username and password.

Entering this information in my iDevices has allowed me to send email through Road Runner's SMTP server when I am on 3G.

Thank you for teaching me something new, and I apologize for the misinformation in my earlier post.

16. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

It's no biggie. My work e-mail is like that.

I can receive my work e-mail on my iPad, but have to use another smtp to send e-mail from my iPad on that account (to reply to messages). I use my gmail account personally since that's the other e-mail I have set up on my iPad already.

if you have a gmail account just use smtp.gmail.com as the outgoing host and then your username is your full gmail address and the password is the account password.

I don't use it a whole lot personally as I'm not a big fan of the iPad e-mail program. Just in a pinch when traveling and only having the iPad with me etc.

17. laser310, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

laser310 thread starter macrumors member

from verizon:

http://support.vzw.com/information/smtp_shutdown.html

i configured the ipad to use the optonline SMTP server on port 587 with authentication.

maybe it's common, but i never heard of a big ISP not providing an SMTP server for customers.

18. thebubbatex macrumors regular

I don't really consider Verizon Wireless a big ISP. I can use ATT's SMTP if I authenticate the email address on my DSL account. But really, just move to Gmail and don't worry about it any longer.