Verizon - Not the carrier for 4s data speed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iTundra, Oct 17, 2011.

1. iTundra macrumors member

iTundra

Went by Verizon this morning to talk about the pathetic data performance I've seen so far (0.01 - 0.33 Mbs). I wasn't expecting ATT speed, but did think 2-3Mbps would be relatively achievable, especially in a major metro area.

The upshot of the conversation was not to expect any improvement in Verizon data performance for the 4s and prepare for lowering of performance as all Verizon resources (personnel, $, network capacity, rented equipment space) are being focused exclusively towards LTE and if data performance is important either get an LTE phone now or wait for an LTE iPhone.

Any thoughts?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I think you have a choice of fastest data, widest talk area, or unlimited data package. Pick one.

If AT&T has good coverage where you live, that will give you the best performance. If they don't, you are forced to choose between lesser alternatives in that regard.

3. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I get around 1.5-1.8 down .8 up. Pages load just as fast on this as an LTE phone (actually faster). The slowness comes via file downloads such as apps.

4. 00trayn macrumors member

Mine has been pretty bad in the DC area, at least in my apartment and my office. 3G has been pretty slow, at least I can use the WiFi in my apartment for really fast speeds. It's usable elsewhere, but my office has always been a bit of a dead zone.

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Where in DC? I lived in DC and Arlington for years (just recently moved) and had solid 3g service from both AT&T and Verizon

6. b24pgg macrumors 65816

This. From my experience VZW speeds are fast enough for negligible difference in page loading, and pings are way lower on VZW.

7. iTundra thread starter macrumors member

iTundra

I'd be OK with this. Haven't seen anything close yet.

8. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

3 bars in my place i get 1.03d-.78u. I dont get the best signal in my place.

9. shadrap macrumors 6502

I am in a major metro area and get over 2mbps. It only matters what the ping is anyway. Verizon's ping is superior. Meaning a Verizon iPhone will beat or equal most AT&T iPhones when opening web pages.

The only advantage to AT&T's MBPS would be downloading.

This is Fact. Search YouTube, Reviews, and or Articles.

10. 00trayn macrumors member

I live in Reston, work in Sterling. My apartment regularly gets 2-3 bars of service and the 3G hasn't been that speedy so far. But I have my Wifi so it's not an issue. And I work in a huge office building in the interior of it (no window) and my reception and 3G aren't awesome either. 0.4MB was the best I got today doing the speed test. It's not enough to completely slow down my phone, but it's noticeable sometimes refreshing email and such. Maybe I just never noticed this because I was rocking a Droid 1 until friday and it was ALWAYS SLOW!

11. phillymacuser macrumors member

When I do Speed test the results look horrible on Verizon. However web pages load really quickly and I stream movies with out any problem. Isn't it all about user experience? If I couldn't check my speed I would swear I had 4G!!

12. shadrap macrumors 6502

See my earlier post. It's all about the ping, unless you are downloading files.

13. phearx macrumors regular

Not fact. This totally depends on where you live. Despite your undeniable proof (youtube, reviews, and articles) I have always gotten fast speeds when loading webpages in comparison to my friend on verizon.

14. shadrap macrumors 6502

1 out of 100 areas big deal. I travel from NC to TX to CA on a regular basis. For the majority of US areas it is fact.

15. P51 macrumors regular

16. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

All depends on where you are. Despite living in the suburbs of San Diego, AT&Ts coverage in my house absolutely blows. I had to switch to Verizon where I get a strong signal. I didn't really have a choice. When traveling, one of the guys I work with has an AT&T iPhone and his coverage is far spottier than my Verizon iPhone. But when he has good coverage, his phone is obviously faster.

17. phearx macrumors regular

This.