Verizon Now Has 4G LTE for Over Half U.S. Population

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NateBiggity, Aug 17, 2011.

1. NateBiggity macrumors newbie

15 more cities are being activated on Thursday and 10 others are having their coverage expanded. 160 million Americans will have access to Verizon's LTE network.
    via Droid-Life

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

Nice! Maybe we will see a LTE iPhone this Fall. If they plan on releasing an iPhone every 16 to 17 months, then making this an LTE one would be a good idea.

3. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

good for them but so far none of the other countries around the world have that quite yet or are there yet... so don't expect the iPhone 5 with LTE support till 2012-13

4. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Yeah, so this means your 2 gig data plan will last half as long before the anal raping of fees begins.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Impressive. Probably won't be long before Verizon's 4G network covers more area than AT&T's 3G network. As soon as an LTE iPhone is made, I will probably switch carriers... so I guess I'll buy iPhone 5 at full retail just so I won't have an ETF to pay by the time iPhone 6 rolls around

6. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I currently use a Verizon's 4G LTE mifi, and it isn't perfect in San Diego, which is one of the cities that already has 4G LTE coverage. It's still pretty spotty, but hopefully they improve coverage even more... because when it switches from LTE to Verizon's 3G... or the other way around, it has a long lag time before you can use data again. It's a little annoying, but at least I have my AT&T data to use while I wait till it switches completely.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Wonder how much Verizon will charge for LTE data use? It won't be cheap! Bet it will be throttled as well.

8. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

LTE data usage is the same as 3g data usage. For now.

It probably will be throttled, yes.

9. haddman macrumors regular

Wrong, simply not true! NOT TRUE!! I wish people would check thier facts and quit saying this as justification that they believe there will be no LTE iPhone in 2011.

On December 14, 2009, The world's first publicly available LTE service was opened by TeliaSonera in the two Scandinavian capitals Stockholm and Oslo

On May 28, 2010, Russian operator Scartel launched an LTE network in Kazan

On November 15, 2010, both Telenor and Tele2 launched their jointly built and owned LTE network in Sweden. Initially launched in the three biggest cities (Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmö) and Karlskrona. 99 percent population coverage in Sweden by the end of 2012 and a fast roll-out plan for 2011

On December 1, 2010, Vodafone Germany started the commercial Sale of LTE products especially for residence in the countryside.

On May 6, 2011, Sri Lanka Telecom Mobitel successfully demonstrated 4G LTE for the first time in South Asia, achieving a data rate of 96 Mbps in Sri Lanka.[25]

On May 7, 2011, Sri Lankan mobile service provider Dialog Axiata switched on South Asia's first LTE network in Colombo with data rate of 110 Mbps.[26][27]

On July 1, 2011, SK Telecom and LG U+ launched their 4G LTE network in Seoul, South Korea

On July 7, 2011, Rogers Communications officially launched their LTE network in Ottawa, Canada.

On July 13, 2011, South African mobile operator, MTN, launched their test LTE network in five clusters covering parts of Sandton, Fourways, Centurion, around OR Tambo International Airport and in the vicinity of MTN head office in Roodepoort, Gauteng, South Africa.[28]

Telstra Australia will have4G LTE service in all major central business districts in Australian capital cities by the end of 2011

So if one more person says they only have LTE in the US i'm gonna freaking choke someone!! :eek:

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

The problem with that though, as mentioned in this article, LTE is being built in too many bands worldwide to get decent coverage everywhere you go. Even looking at AT&T's upcomming LTE Network versus VZW's 4G LTE, they will work on different bands, which means different radios into the same phone(if they end up going that route, which I personally find doubtful), which means more cost per iPhone Bill of Material.

Even then, the cost per iPhone would increase because the LTE chip is still much more expensive than the GSM/UMTS and CDMA chips.

For that reason alone(being a cheap bastard) I don't want a '4G' iPhone. I'm happy with my 3G and it's reliable speediness.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I'm doing the exact same thing

12. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Its not the coverage thats the problem with an LTE iPhone.

All the current 4G radios suck battery power like no tomorrow. None of the current radios hold up to Apple's standards.

Yes, Verizon has an excellent network in place. But that doesn't matter if all the 4G radios suck. The earliest a decent radio will be out is early 2012 from Qualcomm. No 4G iPhone until then.