Verizon Number Not Eligible for Porting to AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by schmoopy.design, Jul 1, 2008.

1. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

I have searched the forums but have not found an exact answer to my question. I currently have Verizon and plan on switching over to AT&T in August. I used the port eligibility function on the AT&T website and it tells me my number is not eligible to be ported.

I set up my Verizon in San Diego, CA and now live in Champaign, IL. That being said my cell phone number is a San Diego area code. I cannot port my number to an area that it won't be primarily used in apparently. I found a thread about a work around this when using itunes but don't know how to work around this with in store activation.

For the record it tells me my number is eligible if I use the San Diego zip code and my number but not the Champaign zip code and my number.

Any suggestions on how to get my number ported? I am not willing to change my cell phone number.

2. gandalf18 macrumors member

Visit the AT&T store when you decide to switch over. They'll help make sure that the number ports over. Verizon is required to release the number for porting.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Strange. I thought you could pick any area code for your cell number.

4. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

This isn't always the case. I remember when I tried to get a NorCal # living down here SoCal, local COR had to make some adjustments so that I could qualify for the different market area code and prefix.

Its strange....

to OP, I would definitely walk into your AT&T store and have them port it for you.

5. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Doesn't the phone # have to remain in the same area code?

6. gandalf18 macrumors member

I've had several friends who have ported in different area codes without problems, so that shouldn't be a limitation.

7. Mo0st macrumors newbie

really!, area code 123 here i come!!! better not be taken =]....anyone joining!

8. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

I think when porting first started I remember reading somewhere that some numbers couldn't be ported b/c they are owned by the phone company?
    or Im crazy... regardless ... more info than you would ever want here...

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/NumberPortability/