Verizon offering free 32GB iPhone 5c.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phillymacuser, May 23, 2014.

1. phillymacuser macrumors member

So I received an email from Verizon offering me a free 32GB iPhone 5c or $100 off any other iPhone purchase if I use my upgrade before 6/30/14. Verizon must be looking to get rid of the 5c in a major way!!

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

So $100 off any iPhone means that they are "looking to get rid of the 5c in a major way!!"? Seems to me the more obvious conclusion is that they want to get you in a new two year contract, and they figure the iPhone is a pretty good incentive.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

6/30 is the end of the second quarter. They're definitely trying to get you into the contract and hold onto their existing subscribers. Doesn't have anything to do with the 5C.

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Yep they gave us the same offer for my mom's line. She's had the same feature phone for at least five years.

5. phillymacuser thread starter macrumors member

Point taken. I may to take the bait! As I currently have a 4s 16GB and for a free 5c 32GB I can use the upgrade. Additionally the 4s has a trade-in value of $150. I can get a bunch of new accessories to boot!! Their not so subtle ploy may have worked.

6. Scoutdog macrumors newbie

5C or $100 off 5S?

Philly, I got a similar email but it did not mention the "or $100 off any iphone". It just mentioned the free 5C 32GB. But since they sell the 5S 16GB for the same price, I'd rather get that free. Did your email have a promo code or # you could post in this thread? Or possible forward the email to me?

That would be awesome!

Thanks,
    Bill

7. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

Why not use the trade in and get the 5s. 5s is $299. Say you can use the $100 off on the 5s it brings it to $199-$150=$50 for a 5s. That's a great deal

8. Scoutdog macrumors newbie

my goal is to get a free 5S without having to trade in my iphone 4, so that our youngest can use the 4 like an ipod with wifi ;-)

9. phillymacuser thread starter macrumors member

It did not offer a code but a link that prompted me to log into my account. After doing so it shows either a discount for free 32GB 5c, but if you select any other iPhone it discounts it by $100.

10. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I'm guessing this is only for certain customers?

11. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

wow. verizon trying to push the iPhone with 2 year contract? is it opposite day? usually its a gs4 or some other android...

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am assuming this is why the OP mentioned they are trying to get rid of the phone. And they very well may be trying to get rid of a lot of their stock. The 32GB 5C on Verizon is $200. So they are actually giving you $200 off that model, or $100 off any other model. That's probably the best deal Verizon has ever had on an iPhone that I am aware of.

There can be many factors here though. Competition is stiffer than it has ever been. But I still wouldn't be shocked if their 32GB phone is in a surplus. I feel that most who want the 5C want a bargain, so they will go for the base modal. Those going for a $200 handset likely just opt for the 5S.

13. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Sounds like a surplus of 5c stock plus trying to lock you in for 2 years. Further evidence that the 5c was not a great seller. Essentially you're getting a free iPhone 5 but do you really want to go down that road when the 6 is right around the corner.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not really free in the sense it seems to be locking you into a contract for the next 2 years and given WWDC is around the corner. Its probably not a good idea to take advantage of this w/o seeing what apple is unveiling.

15. phillymacuser thread starter macrumors member

I went to my local store and the 5c was sold out! They said it was due to the promotion and there was not a store within a reasonable drive that actually had one in stock. Additionally on the website its says backorder, but will ship by May 27. I actually have another upgrade on my account as well, so I will take the plunge. If the 6 moves me I can always sell/give the 5c away. Coming from a 4s that has started to show its age, its a win-win.