Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rudyo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Is anyone considering doing this?
I don't want to abuse apple's generous return policy, but given the severe lack of verifiable information from Verizon on cost, activation fees, etc, it seems like the best way to go. Buy both, activate and then do our own tests.

I don't think any of the first reviews have done a side by side comparison.

I did hear some rumors that surmised that both devices MAY be identical inside, and if hacked/jailbroken it MAY be possible at some point to flash the hardware to work on the other carrier. Any truth to this or is this just a pipe dream?

Thoughts?

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well you couldn't use the Verizon one with AT&T because it doesn't have a sim card slot.

rudyo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
How quick will we see an iFixit teardown to know for sure what is inside?

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I did hear some rumors that surmised that both devices MAY be identical inside, and if hacked/jailbroken it MAY be possible at some point to flash the hardware to work on the other carrier. Any truth to this or is this just a pipe dream?

Thoughts?

I doubt they are identical inside b/c the VZW one is 6 grams heavier than the ATT model per Apple's iPad 2 tech specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.