Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

athens

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
Verizon is CDMA which does ok out in the open but sucky in buildings. AT&T is GSM which works better in buildings.

CDMA technology can't do voice and data at the same time. So if your on a call don't expect to check email and web surf. GSM can.

GSM is supported all over the world. If you travel a lot GSM is the better option.

AT&T really really really really sucks in major cities. Actually AT&T just sucks. In New York and San Francisco I had horrible problems on AT&T and almost every dropped call I ever had was on the AT&T network. Now originally I assumed it was because the cities are pretty congested. But my last trip to Seattle I noticed all through out Washington between Vancouver and Seattle I had poor reception with AT&T including in cities that should not have congestion issues. Bellingham would be a example and everything in between.

I have never been on Verizons network to gauge its network quality because I have always owned GSM phones for the last 8 or so years.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am British and moved over to the us. I'm in Chicago and put a AT&T goPhone (pay&go) and I had calls that didn't ring and went straight to my voicemail even with full bar signal and forget having data inside the loop. I went for a Verizon phone and I will unlock it for international sims.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.