Verizon or AT&T LTE iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by am17, Mar 7, 2012.

1. am17 macrumors member

Want to order a new iPad with LTE - which carrier would be the better option? I'm thinking Verizon since from what I understand their network is better. Thoughts?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wait to see if there is a real difference.

Technically, I think it should be US LTE vs. World LTE w.r.t. which bands things are in.

In the US, both VZ and ATT are in the 700 MHz band while in Europe LTE is being deployed at 800 MHz.

B

3. urkel macrumors 68030

I'd wait to see pricing and data caps.

Personally, I find LTE odd because back when the iPad 2 came out everyone seemed to defend going 3G because "who needs that much bandwidth on a device like this". And now that LTE is here, I'm feeling that may be true.

4. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Something I'm confused about: It was unclear as to whether all models are either 3G or 4G, or if they are still offering only WiFi models? Can anyone clear this up?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Still Wifi-only models at same price points.

All will have 4G (band specific) + World 3G.

B

6. identity macrumors 6502

There's still wifi models.

7. astrostu macrumors 6502

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Based on the data plans, I'm thinking Verizon for what I'd use it for - AT&T offering the 250 MB for $15 versus Verizon's 1 GB for $20 - and my understanding is the same as yours that the Verizon network is better. Of course, it's possible that the plans will change with the new iPad.

Here's a link to the plans if anyone's interested: AT&T, Verizon.

I also found this comparison graph that I think is still accurate:

[​IMG]

8. dylanursula macrumors 6502

For me I'd be interested to see which provider will allow the use of the hotspot on the New ipad and what the prices look like. I have a Veizon Mifi and it blows away the AT&T Elevate hotspot.

9. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

* Disappointed that there are 2 separate versions. I can't quickly think of any technical issue that would have prevented this.
    - Being able to switch SIMs at my choosing would have been awesome

* Need to see if month-to-month is still offered
    - Note, I'm not talking about no contract. I'm aware that the iPad is not subsidized.
    - Rather, I'm talking about the ability to stop and start without setup fees
    - Verizon wants $40ish every time I reactivate my MiFi, that won't play.

* Verizon has a longer-term issue with capacity on LTE - they've gone with a nationwide rollout at 700 MHz. While this is great for *coverage*, it's pretty lousy for *capacity*.
    - This is why they're bitching about a lack of spectrum

10. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I have AT&T unlimited on my iPad 1, which essentially means 3GB/month before they throttle me.

How much better is Verizon's 4G than AT&T's 4G?

Is it worth me switching to Verizon for better coverage?

11. photogpab macrumors 6502

photogpab

i dont know if i should buy a WIFI model or 4G model... I am grandfathered into an unlimited data plan on my iPhone and as it is I use anywhere between 6-7GB a month on that device.

So I would think I would need the pricey $50 5GB plan for the iPad to be sure I dont go over, and that seems like alot to spend a month on a device like this. Grrrr... dont know what to do :(

12. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

VZW has more and better LTE coverage. If not LTE, you drop to slow EV-DO rA

AT&T has some LTE coverage, but the new iPad will drop to HSDPA and HSPA+ which is faster than EV-DO rA.

So, it's a personal decision based on locality and coverage.

13. astrostu macrumors 6502

My brother and mom both have an iPad 2. My brother with 3G, my mom with wi-fi only. Both of them agree that my mom should have gotten the 3G version, a decision she came to within about 2 months of owning.

14. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

So the 4G is carrier specific.

But what I want to know is...

If I buy the Verizon LTE version, can I use that on AT&T's HPSA(+) 3G network?

15. phillyred79 macrumors regular

I think I'm sticking to AT&T.. I've had them since my unlimited plan with the iPad 1.. I wonder if it will carry over to the 4g?? While I realize there isn't much 4g coverage on the AT&T network right now they do offer HSPA+ which in theory gives you 14.4mbps down so if I can get at least 10mbps on their enhanced 3g it will keep me relatively happy until 4g LTE arrives in my area.

16. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

When they said the LTE ones have "worldwide 3G" I was wondering if that means the SIM part is unlocked to any GSM sim.

17. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

inclined to say no. but the "3G world ready" statement is curious.

18. phillyred79 macrumors regular

No. The iPad cellular radio is carrier specific.

----------

Yeah.. Agreed.

19. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I am not so sure about this.

Something doesn't add up just yet.

20. phillyred79 macrumors regular

Hmmm.. The presentation live blog I watched on engadget seemed to indicate it was a carrier specific model designation. Fingers crossed it is "unlocked," but with the way they subsidize data plans, phones, and tablets I wouldn't be surprised if the trend continues.

21. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

who's buying att or verizon 4G lte iPad?

also curious on your guys thoughts which carrier is faster on 4g lte Vz Or Att?

22. JeffMorse macrumors regular

According to my Google Fu, in Los Angeles Verizon easily wins. That's the option I'll be going for.

23. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I will probably buy the AT&T 32GB. Mainly because I have 3 iPhones on my family plan and am hoping AT&T comes out with shared data so I can connect my iPad to my plan without paying a separate monthly fee. Plus, the resale value will probably be a little better.

24. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

To be clear, yes, Apple is offering 2 different LTE models.

However, I see no technical reason for this being required.

That is, it's within reason that Apple could have offered just one LTE version.

In the past, Verizon has said two very different things about what devices they would let on their LTE network.

Early on (years ago): "We'll let any device on this network."

More recently: "Only devices we allow on this network will be acceptable."

I'm worried that Apple bowed to Verizon and made a model that you can't switch back and forth between AT&T and Verizon just by swapping the SIM.

25. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

I think at this point we can only confirm this for 4G only. I'm not certain the 3G is carrier specific. AS evidenced by the fact that you can use world 3G, and the way you can take an AT&T iPad 2 and just put a foriegn sim in it.

Why can't I take a Verizon iPad 3 and put an AT&T SIM in it?

----------

My question isn't related to LTE, I want to know if I can use AT&T's *3G* network with the Verizon LTE model.