Verizon or At&t

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hawaiian29, Mar 14, 2012.

1. hawaiian29 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Now we all know that the new ipad is coming out on friday and I decided to do some last minute research as now i am kinda panicing as I have no idea what to do because I will be getting in line at 5 a.m. on friday. so I figured out that i will get the 64gig white Ipad 3 with 3g/4g coverage and now its down to figuring out what carrier to go with so any ideas with that based on coverage for both 3g/4g and i live in texas and will be traveling alot to colorado and the north such as boston new york I need at least 2gigs of data and am using it for surfing the web games and netflix thanks for the help

any replies are welcome

2. Good User Name macrumors regular

I'm in pretty much the same boat as you are. I'm not sure how to decide between AT&T and Verizon.

Why would anyone choose one over the other? Besides the free tethering option that Verizon is offering (which AT&T will probably match at some point) why choose Verizon?

I hear AT&T is faster. I hear that Verizon has better coverage. I don't know how true either of those claims are.

Anyone else have any better information to make this decision easier?

3. deeddawg macrumors 603

Both AT&T and Verizon have online coverage maps so you can see what your coverage is in the places you frequent.

4. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Verizon Wireless has a much better 4G network. The word is that AT&T will be renting 4g network space from Verizon. AT&T is years behind Verizon in the 4G technology. If 4G bandwidth issues arise, AT&T subscribers will be the first to get throttled or kicked off the network. Heard this from a fairly reliable source. Verizon coverage is much better too.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

If coverage is a priority, Verizon's a better choice since LTE is available in 202 cities to AT&T's 28 at the moment. AT&T's network appears to be faster than Verizon's where it is available, but Verizon's is pretty fast. Also, Verizon plans include the hotspot feature. On the other hand, AT&T gives you 3GB for $30 while Verizon gives you 2GB for that price. It comes down to what is more important to you.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I hear that the Verizon model can take an AT&T SIM if you change your mind.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

True, but it won't get LTE coverage since AT&T uses a different frequency. You might also have difficulty activating it on an Verizon iPad since AT&T won't recognize the IMEI. You might need to have it activated over the phone or at a store.