Carrier Verizon or AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nanogirl21, Nov 7, 2013.

1. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Hi, I am switching carriers from Sprint to Verizon or AT&T. I am just unsure which service is better. I am in the Metro Detroit area and by looking at the charts on both carries websites, coverage looks pretty decent. I am a heavy data user, and do not talk on the phone much. However, when I am on the phone I sometimes do like to browse the web. That is why I started to look into AT&T. As far as my understanding they are the only company that offers this feature with the iPhones. There will only one device on the account. However, I would like to use hotspot services and connect on the iPad. I know that Verizon offers this, but did not see any information on AT&T about it. I looked up some plans and for 6GB of data it is $125 (AT&T) and $120 (Verizon) per month. I do have a corporate discount of 20% with both services. What carrier do you guys prefer? Dose AT&T limit your data speeds like T-Mobile does? I have read that Verizon’s LTE network uses tons of data. Are AT&T LTE similar? On Sprints 3G networks I use about 4 GB of data per month. Can someone break down the pros and cons of both carriers? Please and thanks.

2. pottyvick macrumors regular

At&t and Verizon both allow tethering up to your data limit ( i believe). Tmobile does not limit you... I have tmobile and have never been limited, i have the unlimited data package and never been throttled (or if i was i didn't notice a difference)... Verizon and at&t will allow you to keep using data but i believe after your limit, they charge you 10 dollars for 1GB...

3. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I have heard that T-Mobile often thottles your data speeds if you are using too much data. Here is some quotes from the link below.

“To provide a good experience for the majority of our customers and minimize capacity issues and degradation in network performance, we may take measures including temporarily reducing data throughput for a subset of customers who use a disproportionate amount of bandwidth.”

It continues: “In addition, if your total usage exceeds 5GB (amount is subject to change without notice; please check T-Mobile's T&Cs on www.T-Mobile.com for updates) during a billing cycle, we may reduce your data speed for the remainder of that billing cycle.”

http://www.pcworld.com/article/251008/what_happens_when_you_get_throttled_.html

4. pottyvick macrumors regular

I'm not sure how accurate that is since its from jan of 2012... I dont think they even had unlimited data until Late last year...

5. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Nice to know. Thanks!

6. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Buy the Verizon phone outright (off contract) for maximum flexibility (it can run on CDMA and GSM networks). Then sign up for one of the MVNOs services (like NET10) to use the AT&T network for about half the cost of signing up directly with AT&T. NET10 does give you AT&T LTE on iPhone 5s. Unlimited* Everything for $45/month.

Walmart seems to have cooked up it's own branded competitor (MVNO service) and I thought I saw an ad in store for $40/month Unlimited* Everything a few days ago.

If you were to become unhappy with the MVNO, you could then switch to Verizon or AT&T.

If you buy the AT&T phone, you're not going to have the option of switching to Verizon. This flexibility only works one way.

Of course, if you need the subsidy to "buy" the phone, then the above options are not as easy to work. This works best (and cheapest in the long run) if you can buy the unlocked phone up front.

7. pottyvick macrumors regular

This will work too if you can but the phone for full price... Also keep in mind its unlimited data but only about 2GB LTE/4g and throttled the rest of the way...

8. HobeSoundDarryl, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    One pays "full price" no matter what. The subsidy only makes it possible to pay full price over time instead of up front. However, when you've paid full price through the subsidy, you keep on paying the same amount even after the phone is conceptually paid off. So the subsidy seems to be a "bargain" at first glance but then you end up continuously paying the premium for the phone, perhaps long after you've fully paid for the phone.

On the other hand, if you can pay for it up front, you then have that part of things paid off and are only paying for service. Plus, you have the flexibility to jump around to different services if you become unhappy with any one (or three) of them rather than being locked in for 2 years.

I actually think the better model would be to cut the phone companies out of being the "banker" and instead taking the "loan" (if you have to take a loan) out from other sources so that you can "buy" the phone outright for this freedom to jump to the better service plans as desired rather than continuing to lock in with one carrier and pay more than full price of the phone over the term of the contract.

Else, I think something like the Tmobile or Virgin Wireless plans where there is an extra premium paid toward the phone that ceases when you've paid for the full price of the phone is the way this should go. Verizon & AT&T just does what they always do- nickel & dimeing their base in every possible way.

Having looked at this for all of my own scenarios, I landed on that NET10 deal using the (same) AT&T LTE network: a little less than half the cost of AT&T's iPhone plan while getting to use the very same network. There are a few tradeoffs (such as visual voice mail) but nothing important enough to my own needs to justify more than twice the monthly cost. The real dollar savings over 2 years more than pays for the full price of the phone and then some. It may not be the best option for everyone but I bet it would be much better than going with AT&T or Verizon for most. If NET10 ever gave me any trouble, I could readily switch to Verizon, AT&T, Tmobile, Straight Talk or a host of others with no penalty (because there's no contract).

9. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Thanks for this info BUT I am still seeking information reguarding the pros and cons of each carrier. Verizon and AT&T.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ask people that use either carrier in your local area.
    It varies by location, not every place in the US gets the same coverage.
    You gotta figure out what works best for you in places that you frequent.

11. cynics macrumors G3

Verizon or AT&T

Comparing only the services with the iPhone and ignoring cost and locked vs unlocked etc etc.

AT&T wins in my opinion.

You can do voice and data which can be important. Like when using navigation, if you are on the phone talking (Verizon) and a phone gps needs to reroute you'll need to end the call. It will constantly say "rerouting", very obnoxious. iMessages can't come through so forget about that. I was on a call for 2 hours the other day, I hung up and got 350+ text messages all at once from various group messages.

[​IMG]
    Edit: this screen shot is deceptive, I walked into my house and got on wifi prior to taking the screenshot.

While AT&T's LTE network isn't as large it's still very big and expanding pretty quickly. Plus from my experience it's faster, this will vary per location. Plus and this is a big plus if you fall off ATT LTE network you fall back on their HPSA+ "4G" network which is pretty fast (3-7 mbs and even much higher). Fall off Verizon's LTE network and you are on a CDMA 3G network.

[​IMG]

It's generally useless for me. Obviously depends on the area but I'm happy when I'm getting 1-2 mbs which is rarely ever. I'm still that guy holding my phone to the sky trying to send an email or something.

Battery is better on a GSM network (AT&T) given the exact same signal strength.

GSM networks are just better in my opinion.

But most important thing to check is coverage in your area.

12. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

$70 Tmobile plan has unlimited data and 2.5GB mobile hotspot. No throttling. Well technically you have 10,000GB of high speed data before they throttle you if you're to believe the meter on the website. Best option IMHO unless you live in an area with crap service. Ironically i live in a city where Tmo has LTE coverage but AT&T doesn't, and none of my VZW friends get more than 20-30Mbps

[​IMG]