Carrier Verizon or T-Mobile?

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I’m in Reno, Nevada and ready to dump att for good due to poor customer service and bad receptions in certain areas they haven’t addressed in years.

I’m going to get the new Pro Max and considering the two carriers.
It appears Verizon is offering the best deal? They offering $550 trade in plus $200 for new lines so that’s $750, so that would be really nice.
Monthly cost would be significantly be less on T mobile over time.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Last edited:

MengkeMary

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2019
Minneapolis
I'm also considering the same option. However, I'm using an iPhone 7, so $500 trade in value + $200 for switching is a no brainer for me. My only concern is the cost of unlimited plan. I checked their website, and found that I can get $30 plus tax for each person if I got 5 or more people. So it's kind like family plan. I'm trying to convincing some of my friend to switch since they can get $200 anyway.

Reactions: thecore762

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Yeah, I saw, all of mine are XS Max and XS from last year so either deal is mediocre.

T-Mobile will offer up to $650 per line, rest will be given via gift card the difference.

Verizon monthly will probably be much higher monthly compared to t mobile.

MrAperture

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
I can only suggest you do a test-drive from T-Mobile:

I've recently looked at switching to Verizon from T-Mobile and the $500 is only eligible for the Verizon Unlimited plans which are pricey. I'm paying $120 for an older Simple Choice Plan with unlimited, high speed data + 6GB Hotspot (previously was 6GB but T-Mo didn't count netflix, youtube, spotify, and a bunch of other music services as data so it was basically unlimited anyways) for 4 lines + taxes (comes out to ~$140 total).

Verizon will cost $140 for unlimited, non-priority data, 480p streaming and $180 for unlimited data + hotspot, 25GB priority data, 720p streaming. I don't want to have to pay extra for data that's not congested. I feel like I'm being nickle and dimed by Verizon, lol.

4sallypat

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I can only suggest you do a test-drive from T-Mobile:

I've recently looked at switching to Verizon from T-Mobile and the $500 is only eligible for the Verizon Unlimited plans which are pricey. I'm paying $120 for an older Simple Choice Plan with unlimited, high speed data + 6GB Hotspot (previously was 6GB but T-Mo didn't count netflix, youtube, spotify, and a bunch of other music services as data so it was basically unlimited anyways) for 4 lines + taxes (comes out to ~$140 total).

Verizon will cost $140 for unlimited, non-priority data, 480p streaming and $180 for unlimited data + hotspot, 25GB priority data, 720p streaming. I don't want to have to pay extra for data that's not congested. I feel like I'm being nickle and dimed by Verizon, lol.
Yes this ^^^^

T Mobile has a TEST DRIVE currently for a free hot spot you can try out to see if the coverage is good or not in your area.
No strings attached, no credit card, only good for 30 days.
Great way to test out if your area is good for T Mobile.

I have both - Verizon and T Mobile.

If you travel internationally, consider getting T Mobile as I get almost global data/text/SMS for free without having to change out SIM cards. T Mobile has great relationships with foreign cell providers and has been the best when I travel the world. The only are that T Mobile will not work for free is China and North Korea...

My Verizon phone which my company gives me won't give me international roaming so I have to get an eSIM and prepay the data service when I take it internationally.

In my area of urban sprawl: Southern California I get full coverage with both services.

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
I went to the Verizon store and after taxes and fees I’ll be paying the same amount like att.

I went ahead and went to T-Mobile and they gave me a device, one of the android REVVLRY+™ phones to test things out. So I will be testing their network and see how things work out.
I’ll be going to work and test it there and later on at my store where I frequent a lot and see how the coverage is down there.

Reactions: MrAperture

MrAperture

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2017
SF, CA
I went to the Verizon store and after taxes and fees I’ll be paying the same amount like att.

I went ahead and went to T-Mobile and they gave me a device, one of the android REVVLRY+™ phones to test things out. So I will be testing their network and see how things work out.
I’ll be going to work and test it there and later on at my store where I frequent a lot and see how the coverage is down there.
Nice. Also check if your employer has a discount with Verizon.

Luba

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
I don't know how the coverage is like in your area, but T-Mobile just merged with Sprint so I figure it would be at least a couple of years of issues here and there as they merge their systems.