Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay
Anybody using the Palm Pre Plus hotspot with their iPad ?

Just curious how fast or slow Verizon's network is compared to AT&T.
Also how long does the battery last while using the Hotspot feature ?

I'm considering this option due to the much better coverage of Verizon over both AT&T and Sprint.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
It would totally depend on your location and which carrier you get more coverage from. Verizon has the most 3G coverage.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Speed is quite fast, as I get full 3G coverage with VZW where I work. I've tethered with both my MBP and iPad, and it's plenty fast. Battery life is obviously going to take a hit, but shouldn't be a problem if you got a charging source nearby. I'm using the Pre strictly through work so I don't have to carry both a work phone and a MiFi, which I was using before. Now I have a single device for everything.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Also forgot to mention, the mobile Hotspot is unlimited while my MiFi was at 5GB per month. I know theres no such thing as "unlimited", but take it for what its worth.

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay
Speed is quite fast, as I get full 3G coverage with VZW where I work. I've tethered with both my MBP and iPad, and it's plenty fast. Battery life is obviously going to take a hit, but shouldn't be a problem if you got a charging source nearby. I'm using the Pre strictly through work so I don't have to carry both a work phone and a MiFi, which I was using before. Now I have a single device for everything.

Just curious how long does your battery last while using Hotspot. I've heard about 2 hours on a JB iPhone. Is it any different on your Pre ?

patp

Apr 10, 2008
How much do you have to pay extra for the tethering?

What's your plan with vzw?

patp

Apr 10, 2008
fr4c said:
Hotspot is free if you buy a Palm and pay for the $30 data package.

And no data cap? That was the deal breaker for me on the myfi hotspot. This sounds like a great deal. I heard Verizon was doing a free phone deal on these. Gonna check one out this weekend.

No issues in pairing up the iPad with the palm hotspot?

Thanks

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
And no data cap? That was the deal breaker for me on the myfi hotspot. This sounds like a great deal. I heard Verizon was doing a free phone deal on these. Gonna check one out this weekend.

No issues in pairing up the iPad with the palm hotspot?

Thanks

No issues what so ever, as it acts just like a MiFi. And yes, data is unlimited as compared to the MiFi which has the 5GB cap.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I got a Palm Pre Plus earlier this month for the same reasons you did. As a hotspot - it worked great. Same speeds as AT&T and that battery life was reasonable - 4 hours or so. I had data coverage almost wherever I went. It was great to have one unit to carry and to be able to tether up to 5 devices for when we travelled. That was the theory at least.

Ultimately I decided to return it and go back to my iPhone because the cellular coverage was not as good as AT&T at my house. Since I do not have a landline, that is a pretty big deal. I had too many weak connections, static-y calls, and dropped calls for it to be worth it as a phone.

I was really bummed. I wanted it to work out and was very surprised that the call quality was so bad - especially since Verizon touts better coverage and quality.

YMMV, but at least you have 30 days to try it out.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51

Same here. Working perfect. Couldn't be happier.

No issues what so ever, as it acts just like a MiFi. And yes, data is unlimited as compared to the MiFi which has the 5GB cap.

The phone has unlimited data, the hotspot (on the pre) is capped at 5GB

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I have the Pre Plus with Verizon, using Mobile Hotspot on the iPad and I'm about to return the Pre. My speedtest on the Pre itself ranges from 700kbps to 1.2mbps. My connection on the iPad using the hotspot ranges from 2kbps to 9kbps.

Yes..it's very very slow. I've tried Verizon tech support as well as Palm tech support. They both insist there's nothing wrong. Uhhhhhhhhhh...connecting at 2kbps, I'm sure something's wrong.
:mad:

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay
So how long will a fully charged Pre work as a Hotspot without being plugged in ?

Someone said 5 hrs while plugged in to a laptop , that doesn't answer my question. Another said 4 hrs , was that a full charge on your phone will give you 4 hrs of Hotspot before needing a charge ? If so that's not bad !

iPad1iPad

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
I've heard the Palm Pre Plus is a POS phone but works great as a mobile hotspot.

Since I'm out of contract on my current phone (std cell phone with no data plan) and I don't want to commit to being stuck to a 2 yr contract with the Palm Pre Plus as my primary phone, I may just add it as an additional line to my account. $9.99/month for the second line + $29.99/month for the unlimited data and free 5 GB hotspot...total $39.98/month! Cheaper than adding the MiFi device ($59.99/month) with the same 5 GB cap with no additional functionality.

Using the Palm Pre or MiFi device in addition to your primary cell phone does require you to carry an additional small device. But, you can always use the Palm Pre Plus for other uses (such as backup cell phone) or you can temporarily forward your main phone to it when you only want to carry one device. And, the hotspot feature allows you to connect up to 5 devices without draining the battery on your primary cell phone (and make receive calls while using your iPad)! Also, I'll still be eligible to upgrade my main phone to a better Android phone if they offer free hotspot tethering (via the OS 2.2) or Verizon finally offers the iPhone with hotspot tethering to the iPad (good luck with that!). Then I'll just drop the Palm Pre when the contract on the line is up or hand off the Palm Pre to my kids to use as a hotspot specific to their laptops.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Both the Pre and the Pixi are nice little phones. The Pre got a bad rep from some early runs. Too bad.

My son-in-law loves his Pre, his wife loves her Pixi. I prefer the Pixi for carrying because it's so slim. For either one, the Touchstone charger is luxurious... it's the way all phones should charge.

We've used the Pixi as a hotspot for our kids with iPhones. Where we live, just going inside a restaurant makes ATT 3G disappear. So we turn on the free Pixi tethering, for them to use.

If I were to get one just for tethering, I'd research which model had the biggest optional battery. For example, you can get an extended 2600mAH for the Pre, which is TWICE the capacity of the original and requires its own special case back. Or heck, just carry a spare. That's what swappable batteries are good for.

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay
That's a good point about buying an extra battery !

As for what the Palm does and doesn't do well , as long as it does a good job of making calls and the Hotspot feature works well then I'm good.

I have an iPad for everything else. :D

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
So how long will a fully charged Pre work as a Hotspot without being plugged in ?

Every morning I tether for a good hour before work starts. That will bring a full battery down to about 75%.
If you guesstimate, it seems to be about 25% an hour. So probably 4 hours max of straight tethering.

With the announcement of Android 2.2 I'm keeping my eye on the Incredible. They have announced hotspot functionality and tethering. The price Verizon puts on this will be my decision to keep the Pre or not.

iPad1iPad

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
With the announcement of Android 2.2 I'm keeping my eye on the Incredible. They have announced hotspot functionality and tethering. The price Verizon puts on this will be my decision to keep the Pre or not.

I'm in the same mode. Knowing Verizon, they will probably charge for the mobile hotspot on top of the data plan with the Incredible.

They are only offering the hotspot for free on the Palm Pre now because they need to move inventory (was told that by our Verizon rep).

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I'm in the same mode. Knowing Verizon, they will probably charge for the mobile hotspot on top of the data plan with the Incredible.

They are only offering the hotspot for free on the Palm Pre now because they need to move inventory (was told that by our Verizon rep).

If the Incredible hotspot is $20 or under I will go for it.
I just hope its set in stone within the next 20 days. (still on my 30 day trial of verizon and all this is a deciding factor)

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Since Sprint is charging $30 for the Evo hotspot, I would think Verizon's will be the same.

Macdicted

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2010
NYC > Tampa Bay
Since Sprint is charging $30 for the Evo hotspot, I would think Verizon's will be the same.

I agree ....

I was really looking forward to the Evo till I looked at Sprints coverage map in my area. I would of thought they had improved that by now , im in the Tampa market and their coverage still sucks.

I will have to consider that Incredible , but free Hotspot with the Palm is enticing.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.