Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
The first photo attached is of my hotspot results. I was connecting my desktop via a wireless n usb adapter to the ipad. The speed is fast, but nowhere near as fast as using the normal 4G LTE on the ipad (especially the upload speed). Are you guys getting similar results? Any way I can speed it up? I get about the same speed if I connect my iphone to the hotspot.

Attachments

• Verizon Personal Hotspot Speedtest Results.jpg
    Verizon Personal Hotspot Speedtest Results.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0036.PNG
    IMG_0036.PNG
    519 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
i'm downloading a file and am maxing out at 1.5MB/s. if anyone knows how to improve the speed over hotspot, please let me know.

ANinjaPeanut

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
i'm downloading a file and am maxing out at 1.5MB/s. if anyone knows how to improve the speed over hotspot, please let me know.

1.5MB/s is 11Mb/s. When you tether you're always going to lose some speed, where you download a file from also can dictate a max download speed.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
1.5MB/s is 11Mb/s. When you tether you're always going to lose some speed, where you download a file from also can dictate a max download speed.

There was me thinking that 8 x 1.5 = 12 ;)

Anyhow it's interesting that you got a lower ping through hotspot - suggests you connected to a different server. Did you take several results on both devices?

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010

There was me thinking that 8 x 1.5 = 12 ;)

Anyhow it's interesting that you got a lower ping through hotspot - suggests you connected to a different server. Did you take several results on both devices?

I did take several results on both devices. Every time, my hotspot speedtest results (whether im connected via desktop or iphone) are about 10 Mbps less in both download and upload compared to using the 4G LTE directly on the iPad. The files I test my downloads with should max out my connection (ex: usenet). I'm hoping someone can do the same comparison I did and see if they get the same degraded performance over hotspot.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I did take several results on both devices. Every time, my hotspot speedtest results (whether im connected via desktop or iphone) are about 10 Mbps less in both download and upload compared to using the 4G LTE directly on the iPad. The files I test my downloads with should max out my connection (ex: usenet). I'm hoping someone can do the same comparison I did and see if they get the same degraded performance over hotspot.

I would say that the iPad cannot transmit as powerful a WiFi signal compared to a router, and is therefore bottlenecking the speed you get.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
I would say that the iPad cannot transmit as powerful a WiFi signal compared to a router, and is therefore bottlenecking the speed you get.

that's really unfortunate. one would think that if it is capable of receiving wireless N speeds, it should be able to transmit the same level of speed.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
that's really unfortunate. one would think that if it is capable of receiving wireless N speeds, it should be able to transmit the same level of speed.

Perhaps it can, but is programmed not to, to save power. I use a cydia tweak for my iPad to that boosts it to it's full signal gain ability which gives me more reliable connection to my router. It's plausible hotspot is limited in the same way.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Perhaps it can, but is programmed not to, to save power. I use a cydia tweak for my iPad to that boosts it to it's full signal gain ability which gives me more reliable connection to my router. It's plausible hotspot is limited in the same way.

Hmm very interesting I had no idea they were limiting the wifi performance on purpose. Any way to boost the power without jailbreaking? Is there a way I can use a camera connection kit (usb interface) and connect a wireless N usb adapter that will take over the internal ipad wireless antenna? How about an Ethernet adapter for the iPad? Not even sure if something like that exists.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Hmm very interesting I had no idea they were limiting the wifi performance on purpose. Any way to boost the power without jailbreaking? Is there a way I can use a camera connection kit (usb interface) and connect a wireless N usb adapter that will take over the internal ipad wireless antenna? How about an Ethernet adapter for the iPad? Not even sure if something like that exists.

Haha I doubt any of those exist, imagine how ugly that would be XD. Also, I read somewhere that the OS limits the current draw from the dock connector to accessories to something like 20mA, probably not going to sufficiently power a wireless transmitter ;P

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.