Verizon Phone Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trey M, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Hi all,

So my family has a 15GB More Everything Plan. 5 total lines, 1 of which is a 'basic' phone (non-smartphone).

The basic phone had an upgrade available, so I used that upgrade to purchase a 6+ from Apple.com. I plan on receiving the 6+ and putting in the SIM card of another smartphone on the account before I ever turn it on (while destroying the SIM that came with the new phone). I want this to work to where the basic phone that I upgraded from still remains a non-smartphone so it will continue to be charged only $20/month.

However, I read recently about a policy change at Verizon that went into effect August 24 that stated something about upgraded lines, used to purchase a smartphone, requiring smartphone access (aka $40/month) during the entire 2-year agreement. Is this applicable to my situation, or only to people who had unlimited data plans?

Does any have any similar experience? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

They actually did this for people with old plans. What people were doing before was upgrading a basic phone or adding a line and getting a smartphone and then switching it to a basic phone so they didn't have to pay for Data and also be able to keep their unlimited data on a different line, but now Verizon requires those lines to keep at least a 2Gb data plan for $30, even if there is only a basic phone on that line. But since you have the more everything plan, you should be fine, I do this for customers at work all the time.

3. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

No, that was not the policy change. The policy change is you are required to have a minimum $30/mo data plan for 2 years on a legacy line if you use that line's upgrade to get a smartphone. It only applies to legacy plans like the Nationwide plans.

It applies to anyone with a legacy plan. It does not apply to a More Everything plan, which is the currently available plan.

----------

You have to do the Jaycemiskel or Krnsamiam methods now.