Verizon Pre-Order Edge Plan

DCNatFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Have seen conflicting information on here and through several chats with verizon.

Will be upgrading from my current 4S to the new 6 and I want to move to the Edge plan. Has anyone received confirmation that this can be done during the pre-order window?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Since they are only offering the ability to pre-order on subsidy, I'd say there is no option for the Edge program - at least in terms of pre-ordering.

Kjung7

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Called verizon yesterday and asked. They said you need to pre-order through the Verizon website. At this time Apple can't do EDGE

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Called verizon yesterday and asked. They said you need to pre-order through the Verizon website. At this time Apple can't do EDGE
I fail to see the ability to pre-order the iPhone 6 on the VZW site, you can only upgrade it with a 2 year contract.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
You might be able to go to a Verizon store and pre-order with Edge on Friday. Check with your local store.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston

tdar

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Alpharetta GA.
I fail to see the ability to pre-order the iPhone 6 on the VZW site, you can only upgrade it with a 2 year contract.
From the VZ iPhone 6 page:

(for a iPhone 6 Plus)

Starting at

$299.99

W/ 2YR ACTIVATION

OR

Starting at

$0 down
(for well qualified customers)

$37.49/month for 20 months; 0% APR $749.99
on VERIZON EDGE

Seems they will allow it with both plans for preorder.

I'm converting to Edge and then preordering. My rep said that had to be done in store (or I'd guess on the phone with a rep), so that's how I'm doing it and then they will place my pre order for me.

DCNatFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
How can you move to the Edge plan prior to pre-ordering? I was under the assumption they had to be done at the same time.

Cryates

macrumors 68020
Nov 19, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
You're right, I'm wrong, I went one step further and it didn't offer the EDGE only upgrade, but see what you mean.
I'm using Edge to pre-order so this morning I verified with VZW customer service that I would be able to use Edge and she said that would be no problem at all.

----------

How can you move to the Edge plan prior to pre-ordering? I was under the assumption they had to be done at the same time.
Your contract has to be within one year of expiring to be eligible.

aajeevlin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2010
Also I have read on the apple website that you can even do EDGE at the apple store. However it just says that you will have to physically kg to the store to find out more about it.

Cryates

macrumors 68020
Nov 19, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
From the VZ iPhone 6 page:

(for a iPhone 6 Plus)

Starting at

$299.99

W/ 2YR ACTIVATION

OR

Starting at

$0 down
(for well qualified customers)

$37.49/month for 20 months; 0% APR $749.99
on VERIZON EDGE

Seems they will allow it with both plans for preorder.

I'm converting to Edge and then preordering. My rep said that had to be done in store (or I'd guess on the phone with a rep), so that's how I'm doing it and then they will place my pre order for me.
I have the ability to use the Edge upgrade via VZW's website and verified that with customer service.

tdar

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Alpharetta GA.
When you move to Edge, you must order a new phone as part of that process. So they push thru an Edge conversion and then order (or preorder in this case) a new phone to complete the process.

----------

I have the ability to use the Edge upgrade via VZW's website and verified that with customer service.
Yes but you are already an Edge customer are you not? We (the OP and I) are converting to Edge as part of the preorder process. That cannot be done from the web site. UPDATE- Seems that my rep was wrong..I'm trialing upgrading and converting to edge on the web site now with a 5S and it seems to be working. I made it all the way to checkout.

Last edited:

Cryates

macrumors 68020
Nov 19, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
Yes but are already an Edge customer are you not? We (the OP and I) are converting to Edge as part of the preorder process. That cannot be done from the web site.
No, this will be my first time using Edge and I will be using a new Edge upgrade that is allowed if you are within one year of your 2-yr contract ending. I did however go ahead and switch my plan to MORE Everything two weeks ago in preparation.

DCNatFan

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
I am still on the unlimited plan and my upgrade date was 6 months ago so hopefully I will not have a problem when I pre-order tonight.

tdar

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Alpharetta GA.
No, this will be my first time using Edge and I will be using a new Edge upgrade that is allowed if you are within one year of your 2-yr contract ending. I did however go ahead and switch my plan to MORE Everything two weeks ago in preparation.
Yes you are correct (and know more than in store reps). Now I'll get up at 3AM tomorrow morning and try it for real!

Cryates

macrumors 68020
Nov 19, 2013
Chattanooga, TN
Yes you are correct (and know more than in store reps). Now I'll get up at 3AM tomorrow morning and try it for real!
Hahaha, trust me I have triple checked myself a million times because I want this phone SO bad. There is a good chance the in-store rep said that to drive more business for their store but I have verified through several chat and phone sessions that it can be done on-line yourself with no problem.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Yep. They require it for allowing you to forgo the remainder of the contract and upgrade your phone.
That's what a rep told me but when doing the checkout on a 5S for testing I ciould not find anywhere saying I had to give them my phone. My contract ends 10/4 so it's a bit silly to give them my phone

Edit: I just redid it and you have to go all the way to the page right before confirming the order (putting in credit card, etc etc etc.) before it tells you one line in red "You have to return the device that was originally activated on the line within 14 days, or a fee up to $200 will be charged"

Last edited:

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
Does anybody know what the cost of a 64GB Plus would be per month on Edge? I'm opening a new Verizon account tonight for the preorder and am wondering if I should go Edge or not.

jekjones1558

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Does anybody know what the cost of a 64GB Plus would be per month on Edge? I'm opening a new Verizon account tonight for the preorder and am wondering if I should go Edge or not.
For the monthly cost of the phone (not including line charge or plan) it is $849.99 ÷ 20 = $42.49 for 20 months.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
For the monthly cost of the phone (not including line charge or plan) it is $849.99 ÷ 20 = $42.49 for 20 months.
I knew that >.< Thanks for the reply though! Hmmmm now the choice is $400 up front and $60 a month (single line 2GB plan) or taxes up front ($53) and $93 a month...?