Verizon Pre-Order Edge Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DCNatFan, Sep 11, 2014.

1. DCNatFan macrumors member

Have seen conflicting information on here and through several chats with verizon.

Will be upgrading from my current 4S to the new 6 and I want to move to the Edge plan. Has anyone received confirmation that this can be done during the pre-order window?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since they are only offering the ability to pre-order on subsidy, I'd say there is no option for the Edge program - at least in terms of pre-ordering.

3. Kjung7 macrumors 6502

Called verizon yesterday and asked. They said you need to pre-order through the Verizon website. At this time Apple can't do EDGE

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I fail to see the ability to pre-order the iPhone 6 on the VZW site, you can only upgrade it with a 2 year contract.

5. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

You might be able to go to a Verizon store and pre-order with Edge on Friday. Check with your local store.

6. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're right, I'm wrong, I went one step further and it didn't offer the EDGE only upgrade, but see what you mean.

8. tdar macrumors 6502a

From the VZ iPhone 6 page:

(for a iPhone 6 Plus)

Starting at

$299.99

W/ 2YR ACTIVATION

OR

Starting at

$0 down
    (for well qualified customers)

$37.49/month for 20 months; 0% APR $749.99
    on VERIZON EDGE

Seems they will allow it with both plans for preorder.

I'm converting to Edge and then preordering. My rep said that had to be done in store (or I'd guess on the phone with a rep), so that's how I'm doing it and then they will place my pre order for me.

9. DCNatFan thread starter macrumors member

How can you move to the Edge plan prior to pre-ordering? I was under the assumption they had to be done at the same time.

10. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

I'm using Edge to pre-order so this morning I verified with VZW customer service that I would be able to use Edge and she said that would be no problem at all.

----------

Your contract has to be within one year of expiring to be eligible.

11. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Also I have read on the apple website that you can even do EDGE at the apple store. However it just says that you will have to physically kg to the store to find out more about it.

12. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

I have the ability to use the Edge upgrade via VZW's website and verified that with customer service.

13. tdar, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

tdar macrumors 6502a

When you move to Edge, you must order a new phone as part of that process. So they push thru an Edge conversion and then order (or preorder in this case) a new phone to complete the process.

----------

Yes but you are already an Edge customer are you not? We (the OP and I) are converting to Edge as part of the preorder process. That cannot be done from the web site. UPDATE- Seems that my rep was wrong..I'm trialing upgrading and converting to edge on the web site now with a 5S and it seems to be working. I made it all the way to checkout.

14. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

No, this will be my first time using Edge and I will be using a new Edge upgrade that is allowed if you are within one year of your 2-yr contract ending. I did however go ahead and switch my plan to MORE Everything two weeks ago in preparation.

15. DCNatFan thread starter macrumors member

I am still on the unlimited plan and my upgrade date was 6 months ago so hopefully I will not have a problem when I pre-order tonight.

16. tdar macrumors 6502a

Yes you are correct (and know more than in store reps). Now I'll get up at 3AM tomorrow morning and try it for real!

17. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Hahaha, trust me I have triple checked myself a million times because I want this phone SO bad. There is a good chance the in-store rep said that to drive more business for their store but I have verified through several chat and phone sessions that it can be done on-line yourself with no problem.

18. troy14 macrumors 6502a

If you are not an Edge customer and you pre order / switch to Edge, do you have to give VZW your current phone?

19. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Yep. They require it for allowing you to forgo the remainder of the contract and upgrade your phone.

20. DCNatFan thread starter macrumors member

What if you are outside your contract?

21. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

Then you would not be required to turn your existing device in. They only require it if you are upgrading to Edge early before your existing 20-month edge phone is paid full or before your 2-yr contract is up.

22. troy14, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

troy14 macrumors 6502a

That's what a rep told me but when doing the checkout on a 5S for testing I ciould not find anywhere saying I had to give them my phone. My contract ends 10/4 so it's a bit silly to give them my phone

Edit: I just redid it and you have to go all the way to the page right before confirming the order (putting in credit card, etc etc etc.) before it tells you one line in red "You have to return the device that was originally activated on the line within 14 days, or a fee up to $200 will be charged"

23. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Does anybody know what the cost of a 64GB Plus would be per month on Edge? I'm opening a new Verizon account tonight for the preorder and am wondering if I should go Edge or not.

24. jekjones1558 macrumors 6502

For the monthly cost of the phone (not including line charge or plan) it is $849.99 ÷ 20 = $42.49 for 20 months.

25. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I knew that >.< Thanks for the reply though! Hmmmm now the choice is $400 up front and $60 a month (single line 2GB plan) or taxes up front ($53) and $93 a month...?