Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMule

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
The activation fee was waved at the Verizon in Brandon Fl (just around the corner from a 250 person line at the Apple store in Brandon Mall). They also had smart covers too. So apparrently there's no $70 fee and data can be purchased whenever.

eff pc

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
The activation fee was waved at the Verizon in Brandon Fl (just around the corner from a 250 person line at the Apple store in Brandon Mall). They also had smart covers too. So apparrently there's no $70 fee and data can be purchased whenever.

waved so if you cancel and reactivate there is an activation fee?

eff pc

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Awesome. I ordered a Verizon iPad 2 from Apple hoping there were no activation fees. I mean it makes sense no one would want a Verizon iPad if there were activation fees.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Awesome. I ordered a Verizon iPad 2 from Apple hoping there were no activation fees. I mean it makes sense no one would want a Verizon iPad if there were activation fees.

It has not been confirmed. This is why I held out until Verizon releases what goes down. On other devices they have had reactivation fees.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
It has not been confirmed. This is why I held out until Verizon releases what goes down. On other devices they have had reactivation fees.

Wrong. It has been confirmed. Go read the large 7 page thread. I have posted the internal documentation that there are no activation fees or re-activation fees. The only other verizon tablet that has activation fees is the xoom and that is because it is on the post-paid side due to it being able to be subsidized.

Clint1583

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
I also bought mine at Verizon tonight, no one in the store! No activation fee and I went with the prepay plan. Most of my internet time will be WiFi. 3G for vacations, etc...

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
I also bought mine at Verizon tonight, no one in the store! No activation fee and I went with the prepay plan. Most of my internet time will be WiFi. 3G for vacations, etc...

Same here. No activation fees or cancellation fees.

Just like AT&T, cancel and buy when needed. Not tied to your Verizon account like the xoom.

iMule

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
I hope this clears it up. I paid for a 32 GB iPad, a Smart Cover, and received a confirmation email after I personally set my cellular data up. The first pic is the receipt and the second is the email confirmation.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-12 at 2.08.37 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-12 at 2.08.37 AM.png
    122.7 KB · Views: 53
  • receipt.png
    receipt.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 47

iMule

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
They have the cellular plan to default to the 3GB package, so I had to select the $20 1GB package. Apparently word got out about the activation fees and Verizon never clarified it, which IMO probably hurt their sales a bit after reading how some people were sticking with AT&T because of it.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Wrong. It has been confirmed. Go read the large 7 page thread. I have posted the internal documentation that there are no activation fees or re-activation fees. The only other verizon tablet that has activation fees is the xoom and that is because it is on the post-paid side due to it being able to be subsidized.

In that documentation I didn't see anything that proved no re-activation fees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.