Carrier Verizon question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Oct 6, 2015.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

So if I make the t mobile conversion... My only worry is a obviously the rare need for coverage in rural areas. Are there any Verizon MVNOs that I can purchase a SIM card from and carry in case I need it. One that doesn't expire say every month. But one where you add money that would then be available on my wallet if I needed it?

2. kryten42 macrumors 6502

kryten42

Issue is Verizon is primarily CDMA so you cannot just use any phone on Verizon unless it is registered there. The LTE is sim based (and unlocked on the Verizon iPhones), but that does not help for those ultra rural areas where it is likely no LTE signal on Verizon and only CDMA with EVDO for 3G.

If you have an unlocked iPhone though you could get say an AT&T SIM and use that if you have no T-Mobile service, or something stupid like getting a Verizon MiFi and doing T-Mobile's wi-fi calling when iPhone on the MiFi wifi service (no idea if that would work or what bandwidth needed for WiFi calling though)

3. Chatter macrumors 6502a

I have been on TMo for years and yes, rural coverage sucks. But since I am in those areas infrequently, it doesnt bother me. Could you get a Verizon mifi device and launch it when needed? Yes. Would I personally bother? No. Obviously, it is an option and up to you to decide.

4. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

So if my phone is unlocked, how would I otherwise use it on Verizon? You are saying I would have to activate with them first.

5. kryten42 macrumors 6502

kryten42

Yes, but not sure how easy that would be to do to activate/deactivate as needed etc. Never done anything like that myself.

6. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

I live in the city but work in a rural area and the service is night and day. Seems to be getting worse in rural areas. Lots of 3g ( which barely even loads) and 1x(the WORST). Ive had alot of dropped called as well.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think what's being said here is that even though your phone is unlocked, it may not necessarily support the frequencies that Verizon uses. So, a SIM from an MVNO of Verizon may work - you just might not get service.

Also, something to keep in mind. Verizon does not activate phones not intended for their network. I would assume that would apply to a Verizon MVNO as well.

A way around that is to have a SIM that was activated in a Verizon phone and then use that SIM in your phone.

How you'd achieve that and if you would get service or not, I don't know.

8. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

For Verizon?

9. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I bought my phone from the Apple iPhone upgrade program so I am under the impression all the phones are the same? I could just get an Att sim too.

I hardly ever go anywhere rural and live in the Los Angeles area... But having no voice would be problematic if I drove to Lake Tanoe for example later this year.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Assuming that the Apple upgrade program gives you a SIM free phone where you then place the SIM of your carrier, then yes, they would all be the same.

Which would mean far less chances of not getting service based on frequencies. By now, the SIM free phones have most of (if not all of) the frequencies all four carriers use.

11. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

Ask these companies:
    http://bestmvno.com/verizon-mvnos.html

12. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

Yes in philly metro.