Carrier Verizon raising grandfathered unlimited data plans by $20

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by otacon, Oct 8, 2015.

1. otacon macrumors member

otacon

Well this sucks:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/8/9478093/verizon-increasing-unlimited-data-price

Apparently the $20 monthly increase takes effect when your contract runs out.

I (and I suspect a number of users reading this) are still under contract for about another year, due to the Apple website bug that allowed you to open a new Verizon 2 year contract with a UDP. (remember how crazy that was?)

Anyway...I'm curious to hear what people are going to do.

Less than 1% of Verizon's users still have unlimited data, and I bet 90% of those are month to month...

2. cwosigns macrumors 65816

cwosigns

I'm month-to-month UDP and have been for years. I have 14 days left in my usage cycle and I've used 14 GB of data. I also pay extra for the personal hotspot. I travel a lot for work and hotel wifi pretty much universally sucks, so I use my phone.

Honestly not sure what I'll do. My company provides a line of AT&T service with unlimited everything (voice, messaging, data). The only downside is that if we activate the personal hotspot feature, our data gets capped at 5 GB. I guess I'll have to determine how important the tethering option is to me and either pony up the additional $20/month, or tell Verizon to go $*@# themselves and cancel my service altogether and just use my work phone.

3. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

I have always defended Verizon.
    All these little schemes by them and I still stayed because of the service/UDP.
    Even when they tried to charge us to pay our bills on-line…the !*$k??

But this is just stupid. Seriously???? I don't think I can defend having them anymore.
    I'm gonna have to start weighing my options now.
    What slimy, underhanded, f!Ucked- up thing to do to their customers.

4. imlynxy macrumors 65816

I think so, thanks god I signed 2 years contracts on all my lines.

5. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...

6. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...athered-unlimited-data-subscribers-very-soon/

Oh man, I remember Verizon unlimited data users talking a bunch of trash to AT&T people with unlimited data about how much better their plans were... looks like we've come full circle with Verizon bending their customers over a couch by both eliminating subsidized upgrades if you want to keep unlimited while also raising the price by an extra $240/year :p

Meanwhile AT&T still is letting people upgrade with subsidies AND raised the data limit to 22gb plus only throttling if your on a congested tower.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

AT&T and Verizon typically mirror each other's policy. It wouldn't surprise me if something similar happens to AT&T customers who are not on contract. Luckily, I just entered a new contract with my unlimited data plan so I'm protected for a few years at least.

It's ironic how people were so happy contracts were over and the carriers milked that sentiment. Now it turns out contracts can actually protect you.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Good call. I might order a subsidized iPhone 6S on AT&T just to extend my contract. I pay $68 for 450 mins + Rollover, unlimited messages and Any Mobile to Mobile, and Unlimited Data after my corporate discount.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Some people here got Verizon UDPs last year when Apple.com had a glitch. I guess they get one more year of the lower rates.

10. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

And my dumbazz wouldn't take advantage of that glitch for fear of a billing issue defaulting me to 2gb plan.

11. supervelous macrumors 6502

Ugh. As someone else said. Bad for us AT&T UDP customers since these companies just mirror each other's changes.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

Another nice move for the customers by Verizon.

13. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

I was never happy about contracts being over. I've always kept my contract for precisely the reason you mention: protection.

14. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

15. aneftp macrumors 601

I have upgrade available on Verizon as of October 6 2015 on unlimited data line.

There are ways we could keep unlimited (transfer upgrade to tier data line or the Best Buy method).

Wonder if this price effect takes affect November. Would I be grandfathered for 2 more years if i upgraded before November and locked in the $29.99 data plan?

My billing cycle ends October 17th.

16. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Not sure how it's BS...You have no contract with Verizon. If you signed a 2 year contract with Verizon for $30 a month for unlimited, and they didn't raise the price for those 2 years they fulfilled their obligation. $50 a month seems very reasonable....personally I think they have every right to drop you as a customer if they wanted after the contract ends, I am surprised they and AT&T haven't done that for the clingers.

17. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

You would be grandfathered into the Unlimited plan, but it won't be $29.99 it will be $49.99.

18. supervelous macrumors 6502

My strategy if AT&T does this is to call and say I want to cancel. See what retentions can do for me.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

It sounds like it. I'd go ahead and give it a shot. Check to see if the press release links to any fine print.

20. KPOM macrumors G5

It sounds like from the CNet article that those with contracts at 11/15/15 will not see the price increase until the end of the contract. So if someone extends now, it will be at $29.99.

21. fjd726 macrumors regular

20 bucks more this year, probably another 20 next year and so on until all of the grandfathered plans are gone. I still have unlimited but will go to T-Mobile if this goes through.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I doubt it, usually he contracts have fine print allowing the carrier to do whatever they want, and if they make a change you don't like you can cancel without paying the ETF. Considering they want people off of unlimited plans I could see them taking that risk and raising the price anyway.

23. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

The price increase starts 11/15, if he upgrades now it's will be $29.99 until 11/15 then it will be $49.99. That's the way I am seeing it at least.