Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicjames92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2007
Is there any way, not even limited to bluetooth, to transfer files from my computer to my cell phone? plz help! thx

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
You need to buy a microSD card and then put your songs/pictures/videos on there. That's the only way. Unless you want to hack it to death.;)

magicjames92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2007
You need to buy a microSD card and then put your songs/pictures/videos on there. That's the only way. Unless you want to hack it to death.;)

do i need to put the micro sd card in my comp? like buy an adapter? if thats it, then verizon sucks, im gonna complain, my friend has a razr with cingular, and i used my mac to use bluetooth to transfer a song from my comp to hers and it worked fine. GRRRR!

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
do i need to put the micro sd card in my comp? like buy an adapter? if thats it, then verizon sucks, im gonna complain, my friend has a razr with cingular, and i used my mac to use bluetooth to transfer a song from my comp to hers and it worked fine. GRRRR!
Yes, when you buy a microSD card, it will come with a microSD-to-SD card adapter to which you just plug that into your memory card reader.

Oh, and by the way, complaining is going to get you nothing. Verizon has disabled the Bluetooth File Exchange profiles on the phone. Your RAZR and her RAZR are completely different. It's just the way Verizon is.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Yes, Verizon imposes way too many restrictions.

What I do to get pics off my older Verizon Razr is email them to my home email account, which is loaded in my contacts. But that doesn't really help with getting something onto your phone.

If you look hard enough, there are software & processes out there to hack your software and unlock features you are trying to access. I came really close to doing it when I first got mine, but then decided not to try because I was worried I'd @#%$ up my phone and not be able to fix it.

At this point I'm just going to wait out the remining 9 months on my contract and then decide if I want to switch to AT&T for an iPhone or not...

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Oh, and by the way, complaining is going to get you nothing. Verizon has disabled the Bluetooth File Exchange profiles on the phone. Your RAZR and her RAZR are completely different. It's just the way Verizon is.

That's true for most of their phones, but I've found they're getting a lot better (they're still Verizon, but not nearly as Verizon-y :p ) I was able to transfer a picture from a MB (in Fry's) to my Verizon SLVR L7c via bluetooth and it worked great.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
Yes, Verizon imposes way too many restrictions.

What I do to get pics off my older Verizon Razr is email them to my home email account, which is loaded in my contacts. But that doesn't really help with getting something onto your phone.

If you look hard enough, there are software & processes out there to hack your software and unlock features you are trying to access. I came really close to doing it when I first got mine, but then decided not to try because I was worried I'd @#%$ up my phone and not be able to fix it.

At this point I'm just going to wait out the remining 9 months on my contract and then decide if I want to switch to AT&T for an iPhone or not...
I've also thought about doing the same to my e815, but I gave up on the thought, sadly. It's also why my next phone is going to be a Treo.

That's true for most of their phones, but I've found they're getting a lot better (they're still Verizon, but not nearly as Verizon-y :p ) I was able to transfer a picture from a MB (in Fry's) to my Verizon SLVR L7c via bluetooth and it worked great.
Yes, they are getting better, but they are still keeping the old phones locked down in order for you to buy a new phone or go through Get It Now.

is there a way to email files to your cell phone?
You keep saying files, but you never say what kind of files. What kind are you wanting to put on your phone?

BTW, email them to yournumber@vzwpix.com.

magicjames92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2007
I've also thought about doing the same to my e815, but I gave up on the thought, sadly. It's also why my next phone is going to be a Treo.

Yes, they are getting better, but they are still keeping the old phones locked down in order for you to buy a new phone or go through Get It Now.

You keep saying files, but you never say what kind of files. What kind are you wanting to put on your phone?

BTW, email them to yournumber@vzwpix.com.

mp3, games, pics... would emailing them succesfully put em on my phone?

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
Just calm down.

You cannot email games to your phone. You must purchase games through Get It Now. You also cannot email complete mp3s to your phone unless you want them to be used as ringtones. That will require you to shrink them down to 30 second clips and keep the file size under 300k.

For pictures, I'd recommend cropping/resizing the images to 176x220 because that is the native screen size for the inside screen. The outer screen is, I believe, 96x96. 5MP pictures do not look good on phones as they usually have too much pixel definition and the pictures are not smooth.

I'd recommend just buying a microSD card. $20 for 512MB at your local BestBuy, plus a SD card reader is a lot less hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.