Verizon Refurbished 6 Plus

wallaceb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
My iPhone 6 Plus has the blurry camera/won't focus issue. My previous thread is below..

Verizon offered to send me a replacement refurbished phone. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they high quality? Should I be concerned???

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
My iPhone 6 Plus has the blurry camera/won't focus issue. My previous thread is below..

Verizon offered to send me a replacement refurbished phone. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they high quality? Should I be concerned???
I had a very poor experience with Verizon "certified" refurbs. I bought 5 iPhone 5 16gb phones in the past. Ultimately, I had to go through 10 phones to find 5 keepers. And the issues were not minor/cosmetic.

1) The very 1st phone I opened...the home button was "stuck". It literally would not move when pressed. Of the multiple replacements, another one arrived with a suck button as well, so 2 of the 10 of them.

2) I ran battery tests on all 10 phones. Some were brand new batteries, but 3-4 of them were run down to about 65-70% of usable life. (I am typing this from memory, but several of the phones were down to about ~1,000 from a top of ~1,400).

3) The microphone on 1 was blown, so the only way to make a call was with a headset or via bluetooth.

4) 1 had an obviously replaced screen and was not properly aligned (so badly that it would not properly fit in a case). When touching the screen, even lightly, you would see rainbows all over the unit.

There were other issues, but these are the ones that come to mind. So again, I bought 5 phones, went through 10, and even of those replacement phones I had to accept some that had issues (but not serious enough to send back again and again).

I would not buy Verizon refurbs again.

Oh, and Verizon said that their refurb phones come directly from Apple. I absolutely do not believe that for a second.

thetechfixer

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Canada
You could go to Apple but most likely you would get a Refurbished phone as well, but I would trust the Refurbished ones from Apple more

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I had a very poor experience with Verizon "certified" refurbs. I bought 5 iPhone 5 16gb phones in the past. Ultimately, I had to go through 10 phones to find 5 keepers. And the issues were not minor/cosmetic.

1) The very 1st phone I opened...the home button was "stuck". It literally would not move when pressed. Of the multiple replacements, another one arrived with a suck button as well, so 2 of the 10 of them.

2) I ran battery tests on all 10 phones. Some were brand new batteries, but 3-4 of them were run down to about 65-70% of usable life. (I am typing this from memory, but several of the phones were down to about ~1,000 from a top of ~1,400).

3) The microphone on 1 was blown, so the only way to make a call was with a headset or via bluetooth.

4) 1 had an obviously replaced screen and was not properly aligned (so badly that it would not properly fit in a case). When touching the screen, even lightly, you would see rainbows all over the unit.

There were other issues, but these are the ones that come to mind. So again, I bought 5 phones, went through 10, and even of those replacement phones I had to accept some that had issues (but not serious enough to send back again and again).

I would not buy Verizon refurbs again.

Oh, and Verizon said that their refurb phones come directly from Apple. I absolutely do not believe that for a second.
One of my friends got a refurb 5S from Apple which had scuffs on the casing and a hardware fault...
The second one was perfect though.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
It should be noted that Apple does not actually sell refurb iPhones. The refurbs are only provided when another phone is being replaced.

That being said, I am surprised that your friend received a physically damaged phone as my understanding is that the cases are always replaced in the Apple refurb process.

djransom

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I had the same exact issue with my 6 Plus. I took it to the Apple store and they simply replaced the camera and not the phone itself.