Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Do you honestly think they would do that for the i4s/i5 in September?
If they do I'd rather get the i4 now and hold onto it for two years (with my Unlimited Plan) and hope in 2 years I could get grandfathered in for the i7 (or w/e) since I have the i4.

But then again, I think the only reason they would do that is to bump up i4 sales which is BS. I've know the guy at my Verizon store for a long time and he's always hooked it up...I'd probably see if he could hook it up again! ;)
no i personally think they would let you keep the unlimited plan, but they may not. Eventually at some point they are probably all going to try to get people off of unlimited plans, even seems they are trying to go to tiered plans for in home broadband.

Technically if VZW wanted to they could not let anyone get grandfathered in and force all users to switch to a tiered data plan, if you don't like it you can leave, but they know you aren't likely to leave because you can't get unlimited on att anymore either. Hopefully they don't do that, but it's not out of the realm of possibility, that's all i'm saying.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
Verizon Chief Financial Officer Fran Shammo today reiterated his earlier claim that the next-generation iPhone will in fact be a "world mode" device capable of running on both GSM and CDMA.

World Mode means nothing.

Ok sure, if you're on Verizon, a "World Mode" phone means you can roam anywhere in the world.

But if you're already on 3GSM, a "World Mode" phone can only be used exactly where the old iPhone worked too. World Mode just adds an unnecessary CDMA "mode" to 3GSM.

With this thing the first month I went over 16 gig... last month 9 gig. Thats more data in a month than I did in an entire year on iPhone 4.

Forgetting data amounts - I need iOS5 to help make sure the iPhone doesn't overuse my quota! Last month an error in the iPhone while sending an email meant instead of <10MB a day, I used 1.8GB in a day. If my quota had been less than 2GB, or if I hadn't noticed, it would have cost me $250/GB.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Unless you're at the very high-end of usage, dropping the unlimited plans is a good thing. Otherwise the "normal" users are subsidizing the heavy users. There's no free lunch.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Forgetting data amounts - I need iOS5 to help make sure the iPhone doesn't overuse my quota! Last month an error in the iPhone while sending an email meant instead of <10MB a day, I used 1.8GB in a day. If my quota had been less than 2GB, or if I hadn't noticed, it would have cost me $250/GB.
$250 a GB? The plan is $25 for 2gb, $10 /gb after that, how would you be paying $250 /gb i'm confused?
-edit- now i see you are from Australia, never mind lol

Unless you're at the very high-end of usage, dropping the unlimited plans is a good thing. Otherwise the "normal" users are subsidizing the heavy users. There's no free lunch.
$5 price difference between 2gb data plan on att vs unlimited, i think most people even if they aren't heavy data users would rather keep the unlimited "just in case"

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
Family Data plans would finally convince me to think about getting a smart phone. I just can't justify the $30 a month (make it $60 when I include the wife) just so I can have the internet the little time I am not at home or at work.

galgould

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I've been trying to hold out with my crappy BB Tour for the next iPhone release. However, if getting the iP4 now is the only way to lock in unlimited data, then I'll probably give in and purchase one. =\

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
Steve is just in stealth mode. He'll deliver his slap-down soon, don't you worry :D

RTP.

How bout delay the Verizon 5th-gen iPhone for 2 months? and release the device on Sprint and T-mobile along with AT&T on launch?

That would served them right :D

Don't mess with Steve, Verizon.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
$250 a GB? The plan is $25 for 2gb, $10 /gb after that, how would you be paying $250 /gb i'm confused?
-edit- now i see you are from Australia, never mind lol

Really, just $10/GB?. That's disappointing for us (and others internationally probably)... Because the email-sending error (or any data problem) doesn't matter as much in the US... who cares if you have to pay an extra $40 one month because it was stuck for 4 days. $1000 extra is more significant!

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Really, just $10/GB?. That's disappointing for us (and others internationally probably)... Because the email-sending error (or any data problem) doesn't matter as much in the US... who cares if you have to pay an extra $40 one month because it was stuck for 4 days. $1000 extra is more significant!
yeah no doubt, that's terrible. That's why at first I was like WTF you pay $250 every GB you go over? Those are crazy outrageous prices, a GB isn't even that much but at that price you better be really careful about how much you're using.

jukeofurl

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
Verizon...

Gee that's swell Verizon. Now how about getting your arrogant CS reps to honor a request to your engineers. Or get your people to stop trying to sell you something you can't get, during the same call in which you asked them why you still can't get DSL? How about going the extra 100 feet to get me DSL that my immediate next door neighbor has? OH probably best I can't get your DSL after the debacle you caused when your reps were too busy selling to learn they shouldn't have sent out an installation to a house that couldn't get DSL.

Other than that I applaud your ongoing advancements. Aholes.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
I swear, these guys are going to shoot themselves in the foot with this ridiculous tiered crap.
I already spend to damn much for high speed cable as it is. Now the phone guys want more cause I use more. it isn't like they pay the electrons a salary.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
You are COMPLETELY wrong. So wrong i wont even argue after this post. I switched to Verizon and got the Thunderbolt for LTE. On my iPhone 4 with AT&T I was around 800mb per month. With this thing the first month I went over 16 gig... last month 9 gig. Thats more data in a month than I did in an entire year on iPhone 4.

You cannot ever have a good LTE network and cap data at 2-5gb. You literally cant stay under it. Why give us that kind of speed and not be able to use it? Its called greed.

What does the speed of the phone have to with the data usage unless you decide all of a sudden to start downloading tons of movies or ??? 800mb to 8gbs is a huge change in your habits. Because you can? I don't get it?

For me, I don't see why the 4g vs 3G would affect my data usage that much. Besides, most of the time when I use heavy Internet I'm on wifi to begin with.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I'm guessing they are capping the 3G / 4G services to discourage people from hogging the data lines with tethering and personal wifi spots. Their data capacity is limited and even if 10% of the users would do this, I'm sure it would slow the systems to a crawl from too much traffic.

I'm sure revenue is a big part too, but I do think there is a reality that they just can't handel the heavy traffic and that's a big part too.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Thanks for your support fellow consumer. :rolleyes:

So can you tell me how to set it up so that if I reach my data limit for the month, my data usage is turned off so that I cannot go over? I have ATT and an iphone. I'd like zero possibility of going over. There must be an automatic cut off switch somewhere.

Ahhh... AT&T will send you a text message when your close to your limit. Just turn that on. Not sure if you can do it on-line, but if you call them they will set that up for you. Simple and it works.

Thebradfordboy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8E401)

Here's a question for all you Verizon (or AT&T), do you think you will stay with your provider when they limit the data plans. We all know android and iPhones use huge amounts of data, and not everyone lives in wifi laced cities thus creating a dependency on their wireless provider. Also, do you think it's even possible for an iPhone to run on a limited data plan, without maxing out in just a few days (under the assumption the user is a daily user)

Thebradfordboy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8E401)

Here's a question for all you Verizon (or AT&T), do you think you will stay with your provider when they limit the data plans. We all know android and iPhones use huge amounts of data, and not everyone lives in wifi laced cities thus creating a dependency on their wireless provider. Also, do you think it's even possible for an iPhone to run on a limited data plan, without maxing out in just a few days (under the assumption the user is a daily user)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
You are COMPLETELY wrong. So wrong i wont even argue after this post. I switched to Verizon and got the Thunderbolt for LTE. On my iPhone 4 with AT&T I was around 800mb per month. With this thing the first month I went over 16 gig... last month 9 gig. Thats more data in a month than I did in an entire year on iPhone 4.

You cannot ever have a good LTE network and cap data at 2-5gb. You literally cant stay under it. Why give us that kind of speed and not be able to use it? Its called greed.

some of us have day jobs and family lives where we don't spend all day watching our phones. that's why most people won't care about heavy users paying more

schwell

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
I swear, these guys are going to shoot themselves in the foot with this ridiculous tiered crap.
I already spend to damn much for high speed cable as it is. Now the phone guys want more cause I use more. it isn't like they pay the electrons a salary.

So you think it costs the carriers that same to support their networks whether the average user uses 200MB per month or 10GB?

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009

what carrier are you going to switch to for non tiered data? So far the only company that will offer truly unlimited data after this summer is Sprint, and that is likely to change too. T-Mo has unlimited data but after you pass 2GB they throttle your connection speeds down so you are no longer getting 4G.

It's just a matter of time for all of the companies to follow suit, my guess, nobody will offer unlimited data by the end of the year so you better get on a plan now and hope to be grandfathered in if you want it.

And yes, plenty of people have limited data plans....

firewater101

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
So you think it costs the carriers that same to support their networks whether the average user uses 200MB per month or 10GB?

Actually, yes, it does cost the same. Any individual user might see speed reductions if everyone is using more bandwidth, but it doesn't actually cost more. Anyways, the thing that bothers me is the ridiculous pricing scheme and overages. $15 for 200MB? $10 for going 1MB over 2GB? If it was really about charging for usage why not just set a flat price on data? $0.01 / MB seems fair given their current prices. That's not what it's about though, it's about scamming people out of money when they aren't sure how much data they need down to the MB, and sticking it to them if they aren't completely paranoid about going over.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
Actually, yes, it does cost the same. Any individual user might see speed reductions if everyone is using more bandwidth, but it doesn't actually cost more. Anyways, the thing that bothers me is the ridiculous pricing scheme and overages. $15 for 200MB? $10 for going 1MB over 2GB? If it was really about charging for usage why not just set a flat price on data? $0.01 / MB seems fair given their current prices. That's not what it's about though, it's about scamming people out of money when they aren't sure how much data they need down to the MB, and sticking it to them if they aren't completely paranoid about going over.
that's what the telecommunications industry has always been about, welcome to the real world.

For text messaging you are paying $1310 per Megabyte...

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
An hour of youtube vidoes on your phone? What are you watching and when do you find that amount of time?

you people have never been waiting somewhere for an hour at a time? doctors office, DMV, airport, etc.... give the guy a break jeeze.

Actually watching an hour worth of youtube videos is easy. I did it while waiting for my car to have an oil change and complete wash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.