Carrier Verizon: "replace this phone" versus buying SIM-free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by exi, Sep 5, 2016.

1. exi macrumors 6502

Stupid question, I'm sure, but curious.

I'm on an iPhone 6 on Verizon. Old contract long expired, been month-to-month for awhile. Bought from Apple, later AppleCare replaced by Apple.

When preordering the iPhone 7 via the Apple Store app, is there any difference between the "replace this phone" and the "purchase this phone... SIM-free" options?

Am aware Verizon devices were valued for being unlocked, but at this point in hardware, is there a reason to buy one or the other? Is choosing "replace this phone" the same as buying a SIM-free device and putting my current SIM into it, just with fewer steps until having an active device?

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm not sure, actually. I've always just replaced the phone because that's exactly what I was doing.

@JulesJam , you seems to have the inside track on some of these things. Any input here?

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Wouldn't 'replacing' just replace the phone with another Verizon model, where 'purchasing SIM-Free' would have the buyer purchasing a SIM-Free iPhone (which may or may not be the actual Verizon model)?

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I would assume as much, but I'm not privy to such info, so I didn't want to speculate.

5. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

There is that...but assuming you could (buy both) on launch or shortly thereafter, is there a difference?

I've seen this question asked before, but nothing definitive has been posted. Or am I mistaken?