Verizon rumored to launch LTE 4G capable Apple iPhone after Christmas

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Very interesting article here; Does anyone know if this is just another typical BS rumor / story, or does this actually have some bite to it ?

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._4g_capable_apple_iphone_after_christmas.html
    The new Verizon iPhone is rumored to become immediately available once it is announced, and it was said that the CDMA variant of the handset has been completed for some time. The new iPhone will be announced right after Christmas, as the current exclusive carrier of Apple's smartphone, AT&T, reportedly had a "final demand" to maximize holiday sales.

2. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Who knows? As the Mac Rumors article pointed out, the 'source' of this information has a spotty record.

3. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

What would make me laugh, if Apple surprised everyone, and it comes out on T-Mobile first, before Verizon :) They already have them officially running the iPhone in European markets, and both ATT + T-Mobile use pretty similar networks, so I could see it being hspa+ since 80% of AT&T network has been upgraded to hspa+

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That would be great. :D

5. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Historically, Apple builds handsets that work on the prevailing network standards worldwide. That's why the original iPhone was a 2.5G GSM/EDGE handset. The world was still building out 3G UTMS/HSPA networks at the time.

There is only one big market that is actively deploying LTE: the USA. While many other countries/regions (Europe, Asia) have committed to LTE, those buildouts will occur in 2012. Everyone right now is focused on HSPA+ deployment. An LTE handset at this time would only work in one market and based on Apple's history, it seems more likely that Apple would release HSPA+ handsets for two years before perhaps releasing an LTE handset in 2013.

I just see T-Mobile as being an easier and cheaper fit for Apple and the iPhone right now, compared to Verizon. The phone would barely need to be revised much at all to work on T-Mo.

6. accinfo macrumors member

If somehow Verizon got an Iphone with LTE before At&t it would not be good for At&t. Can you imagine the returns of Iphones sold for Christmas if a better version was announced for Verizon? I think a Verizon Iphone is on it's way but just a CDMA version until June.

7. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I dont think there would be mass returns after Xmas, but I don't think it would be a different phone.

8. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah that makes sense. I can see Verizon making an official announcement next month,that they will be getting the iPhone on their network, and at first be an exact replica of the ATT version, just made to work for the big red.

You know how many new iPhone subscribers on ATT would be screaming pissed off, if a better iPhone4.5 came out on Verizon in January.

I think it will be June that both ATT, and Verzion roll out the new phones.

9. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

No way, no how, -1,000,000% chance of that happening. Apple simply will not allow Verizon to use their device and their name as a guinea pig for a new network.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.