Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ke-iron

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2014
So at the time in 2013, all yahoo accounts (3 billion) were compromised. Wtf... do they not have an IT department? I can only think of the word incompetence, but there has to be a word much more deserving than that. Incompetence times 3 billion? Someone contact Oxford, we need a new word created and added to the dictionary.

PizzaBoxStyle

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2014
Apple HQ Cupterino Spaceship
Yahoo drove themselves into the ground. I’ll be shocked if Verizon doesn’t try to get money back on this.

OMG this!

Everyone was complaining about this years ago (and other AppleID issues), and all we got was Family Sharing.

It's as if they are using email addresses as a PK in the databases instead of a proper integer ID or GUID.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
It occurs to me that Yahoo was dead in the water long before Mayer took charge, the perfect example of a poisoned chalice. A lot of posts here seem to lay the blame squarely at her feet, but the job was only ever going to be the equivalent bailing out the Titanic.

Would the tone be any different is she was a man? Who knows, but it's something to ponder.

Marissa Mayer was the CEO of the company from July 2012 until June 2017. The attack and subsequent dribble of information about the attack happened under her watch. If a man had been at the helm, it would’ve been his responsibility. Since Ms. Mayer was at the helm, the responsibility is hers.

PinkFloyd71

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
Marissa Mayer was the CEO of the company from July 2012 until June 2017. The attack and subsequent dribble of information about the attack happened under her watch. If a man had been at the helm, it would’ve been his responsibility. Since Ms. Mayer was at the helm, the responsibility is hers.
Not to mention she covered it up for 4 years.

looking4anotebo

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
I believe there was a study some time ago showing the average intelligence and income of Yahoo users was lower than that of the other main competitors.

That would make sense if you have ever looked at the comments section of a Yahoo news story. Some of the dumbest people on earth comment on Yahoo stories.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
OMG this!

Everyone was complaining about this years ago (and other AppleID issues), and all we got was Family Sharing.

It's as if they are using email addresses as a PK in the databases instead of a proper integer ID or GUID.
What? I'm not understanding what a primary key has anything to do with this.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Could be indicative of a pattern of behaviour in the corporate world. First Yahoo’s (mis)handling, and then Equifax’s. Not surprising, though. Profits trump all else with that mindset.

Hey, those Gulfstream G650ER's aren't free, ya' know! ;)

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
It occurs to me that Yahoo was dead in the water long before Mayer took charge, the perfect example of a poisoned chalice. A lot of posts here seem to lay the blame squarely at her feet, but the job was only ever going to be the equivalent bailing out the Titanic.

Would the tone be any different is she was a man? Who knows, but it's something to ponder.

Just like Apple in 1997? That’s not a good excuse. Company turnarounds can happen with competent leadership that has integrity and vision. Marissa Mayer had neither of these traits. She acted like she was a visionary, but in the end she turned out to be a dishonest hack who really damaged the company’s culture rather than rebuild it.

And this has nothing to do with her gender. I was rooting for her since day 1. I really wanted her to succeed. But there’s just no way to spin it. She failed miserably, and betrayed many of the young women in business that looked up to her. She’s set back young female executives many years. Not only did she grow less and less likeable as time went on, she’s become a disgrace with each report on Yahoo post-acquisition

Reactions: steve333

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Hey, everybody thinking Yahoo pulled one over on Verizon... Verizon must have known, otherwise they could have launched a lawsuit and undone the sale. False pretenses. Yahoo kept on flirting with buyers, but never pulled the trigger. By the end, only Verizon wanted it, and they got it cheap. Not sure why they wanted it— News and Sports? But they definitely wanted it, hacked or not. Verizon Mail won’t use the old infrastructure.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Thank god when I set up my yahoo account years ago, I used bogus information on myself. Bogus birth info, bogus addresses, etc. i love when they send me birthday wishes, months after my actual birthday. Do that with every account, and you are safe.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Just like Apple in 1997? That’s not a good excuse. Company turnarounds can happen with competent leadership that has integrity and vision. Marissa Mayer had neither of these traits. She acted like she was a visionary, but in the end she turned out to be a dishonest hack who really damaged the company’s culture rather than rebuild it.

And this has nothing to do with her gender. I was rooting for her since day 1. I really wanted her to succeed. But there’s just no way to spin it. She failed miserably, and betrayed many of the young women in business that looked up to her. She’s set back young female executives many years. Not only did she grow less and less likeable as time went on, she’s become a disgrace with each report on Yahoo post-acquisition

There has NEVER been a turnaround like Apple’s. That’s important to realize. From 3 months from bankruptcy to the most valuable corporation in the world. Most of the times, they spike up revenue and sell it off in parts.

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
I thought so too, a few years back. But like someone else posted it can be changed, and is pretty easy with no issues. I’m using my ISP given email address and plan on changing it again.
ISP given emails are the worst. They tie you to the company and if you ever want to change your main email address, you have to notify everybody and use forwarding a lot. I use my own domain name and thus control any email addresses I want.
You can even carry your domain to any other domain provider if you're not happy with the likes of godaddy :)

myname@mycompany.com Costs like $9/year at the provider I'm at and is worth it not to be held hostage.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I believe there was a study some time ago showing the average intelligence and income of Yahoo users was lower than that of the other main competitors.

Sure they can swing the income, due to the demographic where yahoo is used, though that is not the individuals fault, but intelligence.... that is some BS analytical work, yet again based on demographic data
[doublepost=1507097085][/doublepost]
There has NEVER been a turnaround like Apple’s. That’s important to realize. From 3 months from bankruptcy to the most valuable corporation in the world. Most of the times, they spike up revenue and sell it off in parts.

The point is not about how much money you get, it's going from almost not existing to being successful again. Apple is an example of such.

Reactions: ilovemykid3302012

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood

Considering the hate for Eric Schmidt and his creepy handling of Google, people are just as capable of disliking dishonorable men in tech.

How could you miss this obvious fact and default on the identity politics? Maybe its time for some self reflection and question what’s distorting your worldview.

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Hey, everybody thinking Yahoo pulled one over on Verizon... Verizon must have known, otherwise they could have launched a lawsuit and undone the sale. False pretenses. Yahoo kept on flirting with buyers, but never pulled the trigger. By the end, only Verizon wanted it, and they got it cheap. Not sure why they wanted it— News and Sports? But they definitely wanted it, hacked or not. Verizon Mail won’t use the old infrastructure.

Like I said earlier, I’d like to see her called before Congress:

https://judiciary.house.gov/subcomm...ourts-intellectual-property-and-the-internet/

Drop these Members on the Committee a line and make it happen.
[doublepost=1507102682][/doublepost]

Truth. She’s immune.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.